• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak is a figment of our imagination

AdironRider

Their location is a challenge, so they have to overcome a lot of extra cost to make it up there.

My buddies from Mass bailed on a weekend ski trip because they just couldn’t swing it this past winter. You pretty much have to get a hotel, which means food and all that extra gas.

I’m fortunate to be within an hour and a half of them which means more pow for me but I totally get why they have to stay price competitive.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Challenging for Boston and NYC people, but you also have the 20th largest Metro area in North America in Montreal within easy day trip range. Exchange rate isn't great, but fairly stable.

I think this is likely more to generate marketing buzz than anything else.

But good for Jay. Love that place.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Jay Peak to freeze and/or lower prices next winter.

No, really.

Why are they the only ski resort that actually does things right?
Because they are in the middle of nowhere and have to do lots of marketing and promos to get customers. It's always been that way. And yes, this latest move is how they distinguish themselves from other players. And yep, this is a great deal for the serious skier and rider.

djd66

Challenging for Boston and NYC people, but you also have the 20th largest Metro area in North America in Montreal within easy day trip range. Exchange rate isn't great, but fairly stable.

I think this is likely more to generate marketing buzz than anything else.

But good for Jay. Love that place.
20th? So who is 19th?

1dog

I call BS on the travel time - metro NYC - if they travel to central VT its at least 4-5 hours.
I've done many a day trip to Jay from just west of Boston - almost always worth the extra hour or so.

Same could be said of Saddle or Sugarloaf - more reliable snow at Jay it appears, , and thats the main product, right?

If it is a weekend and 10-20" additional can be had, most on this list - heck even 5-10" additional would be enough.

Base building seems like thats the right answer. And Canadians are a market for sure -

Volume and average ticket, most businesses need both to grow.

thebigo

AdironRider

I call BS on the travel time - metro NYC - if they travel to central VT its at least 4-5 hours.
I've done many a day trip to Jay from just west of Boston - almost always worth the extra hour or so.

Same could be said of Saddle or Sugarloaf - more reliable snow at Jay it appears, , and thats the main product, right?

If it is a weekend and 10-20" additional can be had, most on this list - heck even 5-10" additional would be enough.

Base building seems like thats the right answer. And Canadians are a market for sure -

Volume and average ticket, most businesses need both to grow.

I don’t know man, it’s a big ask to have a NYC or Boston skier make the extra 3 hour round trip drive, minimum, regardless of snow conditions. There are only so many hours in a weekend.

Zand

I agree with the drive time argument if you're looking at it from a NYC standpoint, as Jay is literally as far as you can get for driveable ski resorts from there (since most people from NYC would be unlikely to bother with NH or Maine), but from Boston Jay is only 20-30 minutes further than Sunday River and Stowe, and 30 minutes closer than Sugarloaf which gets a lot of Boston folks. I get it that you have to drive literally right by Loon and Cannon (and very close by many other ski areas) to get to Jay but I think the difference in conditions alone would make it worth the extra drive. I get it, I'm not most people and most people would rather just ski minimal natural snow, 99% groomers, and big crowds at Loon. But I don't understand why Sugarloaf gets so much pull from Boston but Jay doesn't while being closer.

BenedictGomez

Exchange rate isn't great, but fairly stable.
Jay Peak accepts Canadian currency at par, they've done so for years.

Fun (that I'm not proud of) fact: When I was young and poor I used to take out Canadian currency from a bank in Burlington and pay for lift tickets at Jay Peak. The exchange rate at the time was like 1:1.65, so the savings was significant.

crystalmountainskier

Jay Peak accepts Canadian currency at par, they've done so for years.

Fun (that I'm not proud of) fact: When I was young and poor I used to take out Canadian currency from a bank in Burlington and pay for lift tickets at Jay Peak. The exchange rate at the time was like 1:1.65, so the savings was significant.
I believe they now require proof of Canadian residency to pay with Canadian currency.

1dog

I don’t know man, it’s a big ask to have a NYC or Boston skier make the extra 3 hour round trip drive, minimum, regardless of snow conditions. There are only so many hours in a weekend.
I was referring to metro Boston/RI/CT making the similar trips that you guys make to central VT every weekend. I guess your estimate of extra 3 is close tho

It's a 90 min trek from Mad River Valley, about 4 if I take it thru Franconia Notch from Boston area.

It's not my home Mt, but it is for many around these parts - not better, just different, and somewhat unique. It reports 100 " more than the rest of central/northern VT on a regular basis.

With Montreal that close it should have similar traffic to those other major resorts that are off the beaten path ( Bush, Sugarloaf,) and even Burke or Saddleback.

It. has its loyal following- and my guess is the family trips of an extra 1 or 2 nix it being as popular as those closer- those factors are much more of an influencer when the whole family is taken into consideration.

My spouse has never been there on a day trip from MA - plenty from MRV.

whats that old business adage? Location, location . . .