• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

K2 112 Kids Missing from Mount Snow - Advice or Assistance Welcomed

kevinm55

Morning all. After a surprisingly decent day of skiing at Mount Snow (post the rain) we discovered that somebody had taken my son's 112 length red & white K2s and black Scott poles. The skiis had a Monster Energy and Vineyard Vines Sticker on them.

I am hopeful that in the chaos of leaving the mountain another family may have taken the skiis and poles inadvertently. If so and in the off chance you are reading this post please please return to guest services AND confirm via this thread. I am not looking forward to the rental scene...

I love this Forum and always appreciate hearing insights from others who also ski. That said, given recent posts about skiis being stolen at major resorts I would be curious to hear any tips on how to proactively avoid being a victim. Keep up the great work Alpine Zone!

Smellytele

When I first glanced at the thread title I thought 112 kids were missing from Mt Snow.

As Pboggie suggest just keep checking with guest services. Not much else you can do.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
When I first glanced at the thread title I thought 112 kids were missing from Mt Snow.

LOL me too.

My skis are so blatantly promotional I doubt anyone would take them. Plus they are mounted with tele, so nobody wants them.

Seriously I find it hard to believe people steal skis very much. This was probably a parent with a bunch of kids who are on new rental skis every year and not sure exactly what they all look like.

icecoast1

LOL me too.

Seriously I find it hard to believe people steal skis very much. This was probably a parent with a bunch of kids who are on new rental skis every year and not sure exactly what they all look like.

I've had friends have stuff stolen from mount snow, on a busy weekend. Not an honest mistake either, pretty unique and custom gear that you'd know right away if it were truly a mistake. Stuff being stolen happens a lot at many areas, gotta lock stuff up or put it in your car if you're going to leave your gear unattended

pauldotcom

Mount Snow is now infiltrated with thugs. Sorry, but it’s true. This will be my last year as a pass holder. This is what happens when you sell passes to young folks for $299. They cater to these folks, not families.

abc

Mount Snow is now infiltrated with thugs. Sorry, but it’s true. This will be my last year as a pass holder. This is what happens when you sell passes to young folks for $299. They cater to these folks, not families.
Blame it on methheads?

I heard quite a few similar comments on other mountains too. What used to be safe low key family mountains suddenly having gears disappearing frequently. When they were caught, they’re often drug addicts. Has nothing to do with the discount college pass.

drjeff

Can't argue with this.... While most of this demographic is great, there are certainly some "bad apples" who create a bunch of issues!!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Blame it on methheads?

I heard quite a few similar comments on other mountains too. What used to be safe low key family mountains suddenly having gears disappearing frequently. When they were caught, they’re often drug addicts. Has nothing to do with the discount college pass.
This has been an issue at Okemo for a very long time. Not just the ski area, but the local ski shops in Ludlow. Busts were reported regularly in the Black River Times all throughout the 80s and 90s about larceny and it was almost always by young men from Springfield VT who had drug arrest records. I haven't had ties to the area since 2001, but I assume it's still the same.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Hopefully the OP reported the theft to Mount Snow. Good to give the mountain the info so they may gauge how big the incident it (i.e. isolated or part of a bad theft day).

And yes, the thread title isnt as it sounds. lol

Glenn

Hope they are recovered! Maybe it was an accidental mixup. I would think kids skis wouldn't be prime targets for someone to steal. But who knows?

kevinm55

Haha - fortunately no missing kids, only kids skis!! My bad on the post title (done early morning after some local IPAs)...

So the skis have not been located but a credit to the staff at Mount Snow for providing free rentals, that made this sting a little less.

I will definitely be purchasing several locks before our next trip. Thx to all for responses and suggestions. In the meantime please keep an eye out for large groups of kids at ski areas so no more go missing - haha

urungus

I seriously doubt the theft was made by a season pass holder, even pass holders in their twenties with scary baggy pants.

moresnow

Haha - fortunately no missing kids, only kids skis!! My bad on the post title (done early morning after some local IPAs)...

Can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning. Bonus points for early morning drinking.

kevinm55

Can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning. Bonus points for early morning drinking.

Pauldotcom - sincere thanks for the generous offer, think we may have access to others via my family but appreciate the offer.

I believe the skis were likely taken accidentally at the end of the day (as a father of 2 I know how chaotic end of day can be) but skis had unique stickers on them and poles as well. Thankful these are not high dollar skis but all of our stuff will def be getting locked up from here on out. Will also provide peace of mi d during extended apres