• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 4/3/2011

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Weather: Perfect, bluebird skies, mid 20s to low 30s
Conditions: Nice soft groomed snow and soft bumps on select trails.

What a day, what a change from the previous day! Saturday it was a mixture of everything, fog, sun, snow, rain, sleet, warmth, cold, sometimes all at the same time. Overall Saturday was good until about 1PM when the snow got very grabby. At this point I figured Sunday would be far better, I was right. Typically on Sunday I like to leave early noon, perhaps 2 on a good day, as I have a 4.5 hour ride home. On this day conditions were so good that I didn't leave until 4PM, carpa diem type of day for sure.

As is usually the case we started on Ramshead so that my wife could get her usual warm up in. This usually bugs me as I think about all the good stuff getting skied off, no problem with this today. Ramshead was fun, all the other stuff didn't get skied off, almost everything was in great shape all day! Skied Snowdown, then across to Canyon area where we hit Lower East Fall and Cascade, both in great shape. On to Needles, real nice, one exception was Vertigo. It was fun, but a bit ticky, soft widely spaced bumps on a sheet of ice :) . Hit Bear mountain, Outer Limits was in the best shape I've seen it all season. Across to Superstar, sweet and empty. Bottom line, we hit most of the mountain and had a blast. It was a day for skiing and definitely a day for taking pics. Just a shame they already closed Bear, Needles and have already announced a closing date of 5/1 for the rest of the mountain. I started a page on facebook to try and get some support (petition if you will) to keep things open longer. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Keep-Killington-Open/164020750322652

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php