• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - every day is a new day 3/24/18

bdfreetuna

I figure KustyTheKlown is still up there at the beer fest -- I have a shorter drive and a beer fest already in my fridge

First time up this year on a Saturday. Parking lots full but lift lines really not that bad. A lot of casual skiers hanging around the lodges all day, and then moving to the beer fest. Northbrook Quad seemed to have the worst line but that was 5 minutes. Got in singles line for K-1 and it was basically walk on each time.

Skiing solo today so the goal was ski the stuff I've missed so far this year. Great thing about Killington, it's really hard to get bored there at least for me, of course I do have some favorite trails but I switch up my plan of attack depending on what's open and how my season's been. So today was basically ski the hard stuff I've missed.

Started the day with a hike up to Catwalk and then took Anarchy down from there. Basically set the pace for the day.

Hit stuff like Vertigo headwall > Staircase, the woods on Bear Mountain, Skye Bits... after lunch it was mainly the woods on Snowdon and stuff like Royal Flush and Conclusion.

Trails have great coverage, a couple rocks on the steeps, some rocks starting to show in the woods especially lower elevation. Upper mountain woods should be in play for a while yet

Good day , very scenic... nice little drop in to Catwalk on the first pic, maybe best pic of the year too

Killington-3-24_01.jpg
Killington-3-24_02.jpgKillington-3-24_03.jpgKillington-3-24_04.jpgKillington-3-24_05.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Cat Walk is probably my favorite trail at K. Wish they had more narrow, old school trails like it. Never understood why they cut something like Ovation instead of putting in a couple of Cat Walk type trails on that pitch instead. They do have killer trees though, which makes up for having all those super wide trails.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

Definitely my favorite trail to start the day with. Something about starting at the top just seems right.

Agree with your wish for narrow/old school trails -- that applies anywhere really that lacks in them. They should cut trails like Cat Walk or Roundabout all over the hill... like, why not?

There is something to be said for an old school trail that is special... instead of just putting a ton of woods on the map all over the place (don't get me wrong lol)

They could have trails like Rumble, Preacher, Robins Run, Deliverance etc ... it's definitely steep enough in places

Newpylong

Catwalk is also one of my K favorites. Thankfully I think present management learned from historical mistakes as they are letting half of some of the wide steeps return to nature like Ovation and Devil's Fiddle. Wish they would do the same with skier's right of Double Dipper etc.

bdfreetuna

I was in K-1 today and had an empty plate from a slice of pizza I ate, in the bar area. Guy in K shirt walks up to me, "can I clear your plate?"

I'm like, wow thanks! Some place like Stowe you expect that, but at Killington it feels like they're going above and beyond. They do a great job exceeding expectations on all levels, which is fantastic as you'd have to go much further to attempt to equal their terrain.

JimG.

Staff member
I finally got comfortable enough to just admit I really like K. Sure there are some things that could be better, but for a place 3:15 from my front door it is ideal for me. I find very little to complain about. It is daytripable. A lot of good terrain. Long season. World class snowmaking. A fairly reliable 200" natural each year.

Fits my bill.

gladerider

many people complain about the big K, but it is definitely one of the best mountains in the east.
one thing i like about the big K is it's layout.
most eastern mountains have really bad layout. they really have a few trails with a huge merge and bottleneck. and they pretend like they have a huge number of trails when they really have only a few main funnels. the big K really has a lot of trails that spreads out the crowd well.
and of course, it has great terrains and woods.
it's a great mountain.
looks like you had a great time. i need to find a way to get back up there before the season is over.

Zand

Heading up there tomorrow for a couple days. Any of you guys around? I don't get too Killington too much when they're nearly 100% open so looking forward to a couple good days. I've always enjoyed their glades when they're open...anarchy, throne, growler, and Patsy's sit well in my memory even though it's been close to 10 years since I've skied them.

nkLottery

I was there with you. Tons of fun. Skiied 830-4 with minimal breaks, too damn comfortable and fun outside to stop. Outer Limits and Julio were EASILY my picks of the day.