• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kindle Fire Tablet announced

BackLoafRiver

Pretty disappointing. The lack of 3g isn't necessarily a deal breaker either but is pretty much a let down, especially since the trend has been to include the capability to compute on the go. But, hey, at least is has wi-fi. On the upside, the free trial of Amazon Prime is pretty awesome.

If you are going for "just an e-reader" then I might be tempted to get this over the Nook. Since I would be in the market for a tablet, it's hands-down an ipad.

Glenn

The 7" screen is surprising. I would have thought they would have gone with a 10" since that's what most others are using.

I could see a price drop before Christmas if it doesn't sell that well.

Geoff

As I've progressed through various strengths of reading glasses, I can't imagine a 7" display on something where I'd be reading a book on it. Personally, I'd like bigger than 10".

drjeff

As I've progressed through various strengths of reading glasses, I can't imagine a 7" display on something where I'd be reading a book on it. Personally, I'd like bigger than 10".

These days I know that I need to go to the eye doc when I get the urge to bring my built in magnification glasses from work (know as loupes) home when I want to read

image010.jpg

And I really, really need to goto the eye doc when my standard 2.5x magnification pair that I use for most stuff in the office isn't enough and I want to bring home my 5.0x mangnification pair that I just use for a few specific procedures! :lol: As crazy as it sounds, I had to do that recently when I was trying to help my kids find Waldo on their "Where's Waldo" Calender! :lol: :rolleyes: And i'm pretty sure that i'm not the only parent that's sought some extra magnification when trying to help their kids find that stupid pain in the a$$ character! :lol: :smash: :smash:
wheres_waldo.jpg

Edd

I have a Nook Color and this doesn't appear to be a huge step forward. I buy items occasionally on Amazon but I don't stream movies or use it for music. If you're already on the Amazon train and are interested in a tablet this thing makes some sense.

I use the Kindle app on my Touchpad and, after browsing the newstand on Amazon, was surprised to see that the Nook magazine selection blows the Kindle options away. That was a month ago. With the release of this tablet Amazon may have improved the selection.