• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

LiftBlog's Landsman Ranks His Favorite and Least Favorite New England Lifts

Edd

Agree with the good picks (the ones I've ridden). I actually like the Flyer at Jay, because it's not the Tram. I also like Timberline at Sugarloaf just because I enjoy that little trail pod. I've no use for Cannon's tram myself.

4aprice

This is probably heresy, and I really learned to ski here and love the terrain but I put a vote in for Madonna I. Old, cramped, susceptible to winds. Not a favorite.

No longer with us, but the old South Ridge Triple up on K. The blast of windy cold air as you got whipped around the bull wheel is unforgettable.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Agree with the good picks (the ones I've ridden). I actually like the Flyer at Jay, because it's not the Tram. I also like Timberline at Sugarloaf just because I enjoy that little trail pod. I've no use for Cannon's tram myself.
Timberline was a weird one IMHO and his reasoning was odd ("Boyne hasn't replaced it yet.") I love that lift and trail pod. Yes, it is slow, but it works.

And I thought his reasoning for listing the Cannon Tram was also odd. As a lift geek, he no doubt knows that it follows the historic route selected in the 1930's. So yes it may not be ideal now (a true First World problem) but for historic reasons it is neat.

Smellytele

Timberline was a weird one IMHO and his reasoning was odd ("Boyne hasn't replaced it yet.") I love that lift and trail pod. Yes, it is slow, but it works.

And I thought his reasoning for listing the Cannon Tram was also odd. As a lift geek, he no doubt knows that it follows the historic route selected in the 1930's. So yes it may not be ideal now (a true First World problem) but for historic reasons it is neat.
1938?

kbroderick

The Titcomb t-bar was an odd one for me, too. Compared to a modern t-bar, there's nothing quick or efficient about either of theirs, and those old style Ts are much more rugged than a modern version with a spring reel, especially when it's cold.

The lookers left one is also the only lift I've been on where my carrier slid back far enough for me to notice. The UMF skier behind me didn't seem surprised and suggested I just grab the next T after I let go of mine so she wouldn't catch me (mine grabbed the cable again once I let go, so I probably just need to jump in place to unload it momentarily, but that didn't come to mind quickly enough).

RH29

I agree with him regarding the Southern New England high-speed lifts. Berkshire Express at Jiminy, Polar/Minuteman at Wachusett, and T-Bar at Berkshire. Each is 1000 vertical, and they're all easy sub 2-hour drives, great for day trips and night skiing. All three are at well-run mountains with good snowmaking and grooming efforts. In terms of utility and convenience they can't be beat.

The Flyer should be two lifts. One ending near Upper Goat Run and serving the Exhibition Pod and another going up along JFK and NW passage.

eatskisleep

Summit Triple at Attitash: The first one (CTEC Triple operated between 1972-2022) I think we can all agree on. It’s actually gone now but I would like to still include it as maybe one of the worst lifts ever, anywhere. I’m very happy it’s gone. It was just such a slow ride. It would break down a lot. And I’m not sad to see that one go at all.

Okay I’ll certainly agree with this one!!

jimk

His website is a great resource, but how does he have time to ride all the lifts in-season and still be a lift supervisor at Jackson Hole? I think some of his ratings are based on pretty stuff: looks, quirks, and mechanics, rather than gritty stuff: how good the terrain and how well the lift serves it??

4aprice

The Lincoln Express Quad at Loon. Pretty non descript lift to me.

IMG_3649.JPG

Up front I'm a huge Loon fan, it's 1 of 2 New England ski areas we visit just about every season. So on last years trip I had the opportunity to really check out South Peak on a Friday Afternoon. Every thing was open except Undercut but plenty of people were poaching it.

IMG_3658.JPG
Picture of entrance to Undercut. At 60 + I will no longer poach so didn't go down but a snow boarder who I rode the lift with told me t was like a "war zone" in there so I not sure I missed much. Besides that the runs over there were nice enough with a nice pitch and decent snow.

IMG_3655.JPG
But I left a little disappointed as everything on that side was flat as a board. The snow and conditions were nice, would be nice it they left at least a strip of bumps on the side of what are pretty wide trails. Still find the stuff over in East Basin and North Peak to be my favorite stuff there.IMG_2501.JPG

BodeMiller1

Tunnel vision from the house insider's screen. We agree on the Cannon Tram. 🚠👗

This guy likes to go uphill more than down😳

He is an enemy of the forest. 🐚

Interesting read, butt a I still think it's the snowboarder's fault.🍿

ceo

The Cannon tram is one of my favorites, but I admit that it doesn't make a lot of sense viewed purely as a ski lift. It is a very popular summer tourist attraction that happens to be next to a ski area.
I also have M1 on my least favorites list.
The Sugarloaf gondola was a great lift and I have deep nostalgia for it, but I'm pretty sure it was on wind hold more often than it actually ran, at least the upper half.

BodeMiller1

I'd go seasons without riding the Cannon Tram. If they do rebuild it it would be better to move the base between Cannon and Mittersille. One good thing about Cannon, if you need gloves, hat, etc. the prices are hard to beat at the ski shop.

Never took the SugarLoaf Gondola, but did get to ski Gondiline when the old midstation was there. Stopped and checked it out, must have been a fun lift.

BodeMiller1

Yep. I think it was 1938 for the Cannon Tram. I mean think about that--it was the first in the U.S. I believe and everyone else had rope tows and maybe a single chair. A tram?!
It failed one heavy snow year. Now one car is at Cannon (ski museum ) and I think the other is at the rest area on I93N in Hooksett.