• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lifts that only service expert terrain?

St. Jerry

A little trivia time: What are some lifts where you get off and there are only diamond/double diamond trails to choose from? No greens or blues at least to start with. Ones that come to mind:

-Castlerock at Sugarbush

-Grouse Mountain at Beaver Creek

-Edelweiss at Alpental

-Jupiter, 9900 at Park City/Canyons

-Silverton, CO (assumed all black trail)

-KT-22 at Squaw Valley

-Allen Peak Tram at Snowbasin

-Lone Peak Tram at Big Sky

-Several lifts at Copper Mountain

-Imperial at Breckenridge

What else you got?

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was going to say MRG Single Chair, but Antelope is a blue. Would be a black anywhere else.

Mittersill Chair at Cannon

Summit Double at Black Mountain NH

jaytrem

Most recent for me would be 7th Heaven at Stevens Pass.

flakeydog

Schlasman Double at Bridger Bowl. Goes just 100' shy of the top of the Ridge. You have to beep in with an active transceiver to access the lift like you would the other hike-access terrain.

Also the Headwaters lift at the former Moonlight Basin (now part of Big Sky). Brings you to a ridge between the two areas with Headwaters on one side, Big Sky's A-Z Chutes on the other.

xlr8r

Canyon at Killington

3 Bears at Copper

Resolution at Copper

Eagle Wind at Winter Park

slatham

Yes on Snowshoe, Western Express Lift. Cupp Run and Shay's Revenge, both blacks (interesting note, once upon a time there was a mid station and an intermediate trail on the upper section to the mid station. Recall its an upside-down area).

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I thought about Canyon at K, but all of the blue Northridge trails are accessible from that chair

Correct. Funish fact- Preston Smith wanted green terrain accessible off of all the lifts at Killington. That stayed true til they made most of the upper-mountain greens blues as lower level skiers were getting in over their head and going off trail and getting hurt/killed.

cdskier

I say this qualifies since you can't access the LIFT without skiing a black.

I'd disagree based on the initial question by the OP... The OP was very specific with no green/blues to start with. Canyon has ONLY blues to start with.

What are some lifts where you get off and there are only diamond/double diamond trails to choose from? No greens or blues at least to start with.

jaytrem

Isn't there a HSQ at Snowshoe, WV that only serves a couple trails that are diamonds? That and obviously Castlerock are the only ones I can think of for the East.
Oh yeah, Western Express at Snowshoe, good call. Got to ride that one this year. Snowshoe had a pretty good crowd for a weekday. That lift was ski on all day along with the other expert area HSQ.

PAabe

If you are counting upside down lifts like at Snowshoe, Montage's Phoebe Snow lift only serves expert terrain

drjeff

I was going to add the Mayflower lift at Deer Valley into the list, then I double checked the trail map and saw that there's 1, short, traversing intermediate connector off the top of the lift to get one away from the otherwise all black diamond pod it services...

jaytrem

Hmmm, I guess with the official rules Snowshoe would not count. Then again maybe it does since you have to cross a road to get to non-expert trails.

PAabe

Snowshoe might count officially since there are roads in between. I guess Montage's Phoebe Snow might not because, looking at the map, the one short connector trail at the top is technically a blue, which can get you to the Iron Horse lift to keep going up to the rest of the non-expert terrain.

I mean technically I would say if the lift can only be accessed by expert terrain it only serves expert terrain though.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Oh yeah, Western Express at Snowshoe, good call. Got to ride that one this year. Snowshoe had a pretty good crowd for a weekday. That lift was ski on all day along with the other expert area HSQ.

I worked at Snowshoe the 2002-2003 season. I was surprised how busy they were midweek compared to what I'm used to here in New England. TONS of church groups. I guess because it's such a pain to get to many visitors had much longer stays than just the weekends. Similar I suppose to traveling out west to ski in that regard.