• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Little bit of help

skierbum

Hey guys,

I'm just finishing up finals for school and I'm looking to head up to Killington this Saturday thru BSSC. Hoping for a pow day, but my question is how windy does it have to get to shut down the lifts?

I've read weather.com, noaa, and snow-forecast and all say winds will be 25-35 mph. I'm not an expert at the stuff, but will this be likely to shut down the Gondola or Superstar Chair?

Thanks!

Jully

Hey guys,

I'm just finishing up finals for school and I'm looking to head up to Killington this Saturday thru BSSC. Hoping for a pow day, but my question is how windy does it have to get to shut down the lifts?

I've read weather.com, noaa, and snow-forecast and all say winds will be 25-35 mph. I'm not an expert at the stuff, but will this be likely to shut down the Gondola or Superstar Chair?

Thanks!

Not only do wind speeds matter, but the direction of the wind and the exposure of the lift matters arguably more. For example, Bretton Woods is in an excellent location and very very rarely has lift issues.

With that said, it is possible that you could see some wind holds. However, I doubt it would be for the whole day and there will certainly be other chairs open. I personally would not cancel any trip because of those winds! I could be overly optimistic though.

bdfreetuna

Killington is a good call on a windy day, they have enough open lifts on different mountain faces that you'll still be busy skiing.