• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lock happy

campgottagopee

WTF???

Let the poll roll----scared of the results???

Talk about childish and needing to grow up---geeeeezus

Greg

Staff member
I didn't do the locks, and personally if you guys want to have a poll about this, knock yourselves out. It's not going to change the decision, at least in the near term. I also think it's time to start getting over this. Sure, GSS was a trip at times. He's made me laugh, his passion for skiing is undeniable and he did have some good contributions. However, despite the 18 thousand posts or whatever it was, most of it was garbage so let's all keep exactly how much quality content he contributed in perspective.

bvibert

Staff member
I stated my reasoning already. The GSS ban is already being discussed to death in the other thread, we don't need several threads on the subject.

Puck it

What a buzz kill? It would have been interesting what the poll would have looked like with this fresh in our minds. Oh well!!!!!!!!!!

I did not like what he said either, but to each their own.

Land of the politically correct, I guess.

campgottagopee

I didn't do the locks, and personally if you guys want to have a poll about this, knock yourselves out. It's not going to change the decision, at least in the near term. I also think it's time to start getting over this. Sure, GSS was a trip at times. He's made me laugh, his passion for skiing is undeniable and he did have some good contributions. However, despite the 18 thousand posts or whatever it was, most of it was garbage so let's all keep exactly how much quality content he contributed in perspective.

I know you didn't lock the thread, not your style, twas your rump buddy that did it.

campgottagopee

I stated my reasoning already. The GSS ban is already being discussed to death in the other thread, we don't need several threads on the subject.

Poll is totally different----just didn't like how you said Greg was the only one who could start such a thread---that's crap

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I know you didn't lock the thread, not your style, twas your rump buddy that did it.

Thanks for the flattering comment on my choice of spouse.

Why don't we get all Sons of Liberty on here and start tearing down houses and burning effigies.

Who are the children here anyway? :rolleyes:

tcharron

Granted. So, even if 10% of his posts where of reasonable quality, he'd still have posted 1,800 messages. There has to be a way he can come back and knock off the stuff that seems to have pissed all of you off so bad.

Really, what's the worst that would happen, anyway? He comes back, posts another 400 posts, and you reban him.

ccskier

As with everything on this site you can't make a comment without getting ridiculed

TheBEast

Man we need some snow around here so people can start talking about skiing rather than this crap....who cares about GSS, let's talk skiing?!

ccskier

I think that gss may have just been a nail in the coffin for some issues as of late that I have observed. Oh well, have a good night all.

deadheadskier

Staff member
There has to be a way he can come back and knock off the stuff that seems to have pissed all of you off so bad.

There is not.

When I was asked to be a moderator it was during a time of GSS stirring some shit up. I was not in favor of banning him, about half the moderating team was. I thought I had a pretty decent rapport with him and that maybe if I took a light hearted approach he would stop his trolling and unprovoked attacks on other members.

My opinion changed rapidly when A. I brought up that someone had made a valid complaint about him and was essentially told he doesn't give a fu**. A few other situations arose where again he was causing problems with people and he 100% ignored my reasonable request for him to stop. His repeated unprovoked insults and goats of other moderators did not rest well with me either.

He is a completely selfish individual who could care less about any of you folks defending him. He does not care at all when he offends someone and the only time he's ever made an apology is if it benefits him. That apology in the 9/11 thread was completely hollow and if any of you think it's sincere, you are only kidding yourself. Every apology I've ever seen him make on here is 100% hollow.

On top of all this, he does not care one bit about the rules here. If that's what you like, then there's TGR forum. The reality is that GSS is too much of sally to hang with the flame throwers on TGR. He cried like a baby when Greg made a little fun of him a year ago, when I did a couple of weeks ago and especially when HPD flamed him. Classic case of someone that likes to dish it out and dish it out, but he can't take it in return.

Doug is like the punk neighborhood kid who repeatedly taunts the neighbors dog to see how far he can push it. You know what? Eventually that dog bites. He made his bed, now he can sleep in it.

While very entertaining at times, ultimately his behavior has offended far too many people over his time here with zero remorse on his part. If he acted in such away to someone's face in real life, he wouldn't have teeth. So, he cowardly does so by trolling the internet.

If all of his fan boys love him so much, there's a new place for you to go hang out with him. noshitzone.com

If folks don't like the rules here and think this place sucks, no one is forcing you to post here.

That's my full explanation of my support of banning him. After the massive disrespect he's shown me and others, I don't care if my part in the banning decision is popular or not. Perhaps as a moderator I shouldn't be so candid, but there it is. Full Monty for all of you who question my involvement in the banning.

moving on............

Beetlenut

There is not.

When I was asked to be a moderator it was during a time of GSS stirring some shit up. I was not in favor of banning him, about half the moderating team was. I thought I had a pretty decent rapport with him and that maybe if I took a light hearted approach he would stop his trolling and unprovoked attacks on other members.

My opinion changed rapidly when A. I brought up that someone had made a valid complaint about him and was essentially told he doesn't give a fu**. A few other situations arose where again he was causing problems with people and he 100% ignored my reasonable request for him to stop. His repeated unprovoked insults and goats of other moderators did not rest well with me either.

He is a completely selfish individual who could care less about any of you folks defending him. He does not care at all when he offends someone and the only time he's ever made an apology is if it benefits him. That apology in the 9/11 thread was completely hollow and if any of you think it's sincere, you are only kidding yourself. Every apology I've ever seen him make on here is 100% hollow.

On top of all this, he does not care one bit about the rules here. If that's what you like, then there's TGR forum. The reality is that GSS is too much of sally to hang with the flame throwers on TGR. He cried like a baby when Greg made a little fun of him a year ago, when I did a couple of weeks ago and especially when HPD flamed him. Classic case of someone that likes to dish it out and dish it out, but he can't take it in return.

Doug is like the punk neighborhood kid who repeatedly taunts the neighbors dog to see how far he can push it. You know what? Eventually that dog bites. He made his bed, now he can sleep in it.

While very entertaining at times, ultimately his behavior has offended far too many people over his time here with zero remorse on his part. If he acted in such away to someone's face in real life, he wouldn't have teeth. So, he cowardly does so by trolling the internet.

If all of his fan boys love him so much, there's a new place for you to go hang out with him. noshitzone.com

If folks don't like the rules here and think this place sucks, no one is forcing you to post here.

That's my full explanation of my support of banning him. After the massive disrespect he's shown me and others, I don't care if my part in the banning decision is popular or not. Perhaps as a moderator I shouldn't be so candid, but there it is. Full Monty for all of you who question my involvement in the banning.

moving on............

+1

Greg

Staff member
Just wanted to share part of a PM I sent to another AZer:

Greg said:
You're a relatively new member and one that hasn't really known a non-GSS AZ. He definitely single-handedly changed the vibe here quite a bit, for better or worse. Quite astonishingly actually. There really hasn't ever been a member here like him. In a way, I'll miss him.

As far as the disrespect, I really don't have that much of an ego that I feel like I should be respected all that much. I'm just a guy that likes to ski like most of you that happened to start a Web site/forum that has grown quite a bit in the past almost 11 years. Nevertheless, GSS did slam me quite a bit publicly. If I PM'd him asking him to tone down the nonsense bumps that were undoubtedly used just to increase his post count, within a few hours he would mention that private exchange to the rest of the board. There were several instances of him doing stuff like that. Didn't really bother me all that much despite what many will say. Still that whole event with Brian/Carrie last summer really got to me. We probably should have banned him at that point. Still, the GSS era marched on. Since he came on board, we've probably slacked off quite a bit as far as moderating and let a lot of things slide due to a different vibe here.

This summer, things seemed to have gotten especially heated and I asked the mods to sort of get this ship back on course. This was right along the time that DHS came on board. What many newer (i.e. sub 3 year old) members don't know is that AZ was a much different place pre-GSS. I really don't think it was ever over-moderated, but it was definitely a place of more civility and mature discussion. I think that's in part what initially made it a success. I've heard from many members that GSS took away from that quite a bit. I don't want to say that we had it out for him, but I will freely admit he was being scrutinized heavily. He received several "final" warnings numerous times. Blindly posting what he did in the 9/11 remembrance thread on 9/11 was too much. So that is that.

I personally never thought much of what GSS posted was all that offensive. Annoying, childish, inappropriate? Yes. Getting into the Vibert private business online was just a result of a personality of someone that has no social awareness at all. I actually feel the guy is mildly mentally challenged and a part of me feels sorry for him. If you knew the number of Emails he's sent me begging to be let back on you might understand. Still, at some point, we needed to act.

Anyway, things will be different here, no doubt. Quite amazing that one member could have such an impact, but AZ is a community, and I believe it will thrive without GSS. I posted in the forums that there are several years of history prior to GSS and I don't think he really added much to that face-to-face community spirit which defines AZ. I've met and skied with probably over 100 AZers. GSS was never one of them. I don't think he cared that much about AZ as a community, but rather just as a vehicle for him to keep his mind occupied.

AZ will be no better or worse without him; just different. I hope you'll hang around.

That kinda sums of my take opn the whole situation and I'm moving on too.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I was going to stay completely away from this subject all together. But there seems to be a lot of complaining or snide comments about how the forum has been moderated recently. I just wanted to throw out a big thank you to the moderators and administrator of this site for their hard work and agonizing over these tough decisions. If I did not like the way the site was run, I would take it up with the admin or mods via PM and if I didn't like their answers, I would either drop it or go somewhere else to post. I have never had any objections about how this community is run and I appreciate the efforts put in by those that help monitor the site for appropriateness and need to get involved when excessive mud slinging or comments in poor taste arise. So cheers.

Greg had a great point in his PM posted above. GSS changed AZ significantly. I think there were positives such as post counts and activities dramatically increased. However, there were a lot of negatives too as signal to noise ratio overwhelmingly slid from strong signal to overwhelming noise. It was not one comment that got GSS banned, but rather one comment that tipped the long built up string of questionably appropriate behavior from tolerable to intolerable for the community as a whole. I have never seen more patience from Greg and the mods than with GSS. And being banned from a forum is not unprecedented for the GSS internet persona.

Any ways, I see no reason to keep dragging this issue through the mud and bringing it up. I only do so to offer what seems to be a rare show of public support from what I think is the silent majority of the community. It is definitely September on a ski forum for sure....