• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for Catskills Weekend Backpacking Suggestions

txnyriny

Hi -- I'm new to the forum and have never hiked in the Catskills. What I'm looking for is something secluded/not too popular, of moderate difficulty (or maybe a little harder), with a water source, and that would be fine for my trusty canine companion. Oh, and plenty o' natural beauty, either low or high. I'll just be camping one night. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a lot.

catskills

One of my favorites is Hunter Mountain Fire Tower from Spruceton Road side. This trail is not used that much.

You can camp just below 3500 feet at john Robb's leanto area with nice view, which has a very good water source. The lean-to is about 1.5 miles from Hunter Mtn fire tower.

See NJ Trail Hike of the Week

How to get there:
Take the New York State Thruway to Exit 19 ( Kingston ) and proceed west on N.Y. Route 28 for about 28 miles to its junction with N.Y. Route 42 in Shandaken. Proceed north on Route 42 for 7.4 miles to the hamlet of West Kill, then turn right and follow Spruceton Road (County Route 6) for 6.7 miles, past a �dead-end� sign, to a large parking area for Hunter Mountain on the left side of the road.

SkiDog

how many miles is this hike?

Thanks.

M

EDIT: Ok im an idiot...don't answer that I followed the link I should clicked before opening my big mouth.. :)

Thanks.

Mike P.

From Woodland Valley the Classic Wittenberg, Cornell Slide trip can be done as an overnight or pretty long day hike. I did it as a day hike years ago.

Might be a shelter in the area but i'd recommend a tent. Distance is in the mid-teens approximately. (13-16)