• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

LOSING important winter "FATMAP" Skiing and Boarding tool!!

MidnightJester

I have been seeing a pop up myself and a note in POWDER that FATMAP is bough and swallowed by STRAVA. While they are importing some of its features most will not be ready by this winter!!

I believe most if not all FATMAP (FREERIDIING) & (BACKCOUNTRY) routes being "SIDE-COUNTRY" and "IN BETWEEN" trails & routes are about to be "LOST"

AI Overview
Learn more…Opens in new tab

Yes, Strava is transitioning FATMAP into its own app and website will be retired on October 1, 2024. However, Strava is integrating some of FATMAP's features into its own app and website, including:
  • 3D map
    FATMAP's 3D map, including terrain tools and winter satellite maps, will be integrated into Strava's map screens.
  • Route content
    Route content from FATMAP, excluding user-generated content, will be moved to Strava.

from STRAVA
"As we look ahead, we are in the process of integrating FATMAPs 3D map, including winter satellite maps and terrain tools, into other map screens within the Strava app and website.
In addition, FATMAP route content, excluding user generated content, will be moved to Strava. We are currently working on the new home for these routes so they can be used seamlessly within the Strava app."

"We appreciate that many of you use certain FATMAP features that will not be available in Strava in time for the coming northern hemisphere winter. This includes waypoints, personal guidebooks, national topo maps (including IGN and OS maps), offline map downloads of the FATMAP map and live snow and piste information. We are exploring adding these and similar features to Strava in the future."

FROM A STRAVA MESSAGE BOARD
RyanCopp
Mt. Kenya

Options

‎08-26-2024 06:59 AM
Almost the entire winter backcountry recreation community relies on Fatmat for its visualization, overlay, and route planning/recording capabilities. Why has Strava failed to address the concerns of Fatmap users ahead of its deletion on October 1st? I am worried that myself and others will be exposed to greater risk without access to these backcountry features. Strava will be directly responsible for an increase in backcountry accidents, incidents, and potential fatal accidents due to the disappearance of Fatmaps features and capabilities.

Last edited:

MidnightJester

ITS more mountain Freeriding that will lose out. It's wont lessen the crowds but it will make exploring the mountain much more difficult to explore to known spots. And forget about exploring to find a spot that dosent exist and now you are hours into a self rescue if your lucky if not possibly calling for help.

On your own it would be almost impossible to find some hidden lines or runs without someone taking you there.

chuckstah

ITS more mountain Freeriding that will lose out. It's wont lessen the crowds but it will make exploring the mountain much more difficult to explore to known spots. And forget about exploring to find a spot that dosent exist and now you are hours into a self rescue if your lucky if not possibly calling for help.

On your own it would be almost impossible to find some hidden lines or runs without someone taking you there.
That is usually the point of hidden lines, no?