• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loveland 2/25/16

dlague

Loveland

Conditions: PP, wind blown surfaces, soft bumps.

This was another day where we would meet someone we knew in Colorado. This time is was a high school classmate of mine, her husband and their youngest son (18). Upon arrival, the view was amazing but it was nothing compared to what I would see later. There was a pretty good wind going but it was going to be another bluebird day with temps hit around 30. This made for a great setup. The family we were skiing with have been skiing there for 30 years well at least the parents have. They were the perfect tour guides.

Their 18 year old took our 13 year old of an extreme skiing extravaganza. While the parents skied on our own. The boys skied from Chair 1 most of the time skiing steeps that were bumped out for the most part. My friend's husband and I caught up with the boys for a couple runs before lunch. We skied Tiger's Tail to Avalanche Bowl to Busy Gully then another run on Avalanche Bowl to Zoom which was the most challenging runs of the day.

Earlier, before skiing with the boys we lapped Chair 1 on runs like Nix Nox and Richard's Run before taking Tempest to Ptarmigan Lift to ski South Chutes. Before getting to South Chutes, there is a wide open area that carved really nice. South Chutes were short steep runs (feel and look like blacks but are blues there) some bumped while others we not. For trails listed as blue trails they were challenging. The boys joined us from here and one of my requests was to ski Chair 9 and I wanted our son with us. It is a must! It takes you to the Continental Divide. The view from there was spectacular and you could see Keystone, Breck and the top of the Zuma lift at A Basin. From there we skied Patrol Bowl to skiers right which had the steepest pitch. THAT was a lot of fun and we continued to an area called Head Wall by locals but not on the trail map. It too was a steep but not that long. The boys then lead us to the runs mentioned earlier. After skiing with them it was time for lunch.

After lunch I had asked to ski other areas - there are so many. So were started with Chair 1 proceeded to Chair 4 and skied a run then went to Chair 6 and skied some of the glades there where my wife proceeded to talk to a few guys sitting in the woods smoking MJ. Pretty funny. We ended our day skiing a couple runs from Ptarmigan lift. I cannot recall all of the trail names but they all skied really nice.

I can almost say that this was one of my favorite days. Using a pun - I love Loveland and I have not even scratched the surface of the opportunities there. Everyone had a great day and my son got to huck some cliffs like never before. My friend's son is a great skier and put our son to the test - our youngest did not fail. It was nice to ski with a family that was well paired with us. The wives had similar skiing ability the husbands skied well together and the boys well they killed it.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

dlague

Start of the day up Chair 1
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456671289.690515.jpg

Son chasing Tom under Chair 1
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456671373.369231.jpg

Next three are a panoramic view
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456671453.380875.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456671496.770284.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456671516.804835.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

View from Continental Divide
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456671569.445795.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456671646.156100.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456671713.916621.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456671745.136953.jpg

Steeps and Bumps from Chair 1
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456671776.841190.jpg

jimk

Loveland is the place you fall in love with after you've skied all the big boys and realize, at least for the int-adv snowrider, that Loveland has everything they have just less crowded, less costly, and less driving.:thumbup:

dlague

Loveland is the place you fall in love with after you've skied all the big boys and realize, at least for the int-adv snowrider, that Loveland has everything they have just less crowded, less costly, and less driving.:thumbup:

On point!

4aprice

I'm a big fan of the Loveland Pass area as you have the 2 great areas plus opportunities to ski off the the top of the pass as well. Our plans in April involve 2 days at A-basin and 2 at Loveland and maybe a run off the pass itself down to the second big curve on Rt 6.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

snoseek

I'm a big fan of the Loveland Pass area as you have the 2 great areas plus opportunities to ski off the the top of the pass as well. Our plans in April involve 2 days at A-basin and 2 at Loveland and maybe a run off the pass itself down to the second big curve on Rt 6.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

On safe avy days we used to hike above chair one, drop off the back, ski down and cross the highway or hitch up if feeling lucky, then stay high above the riverbed and come out down valley and take the shuttle back to the ski area. Probably not the best idea to do without some local knowledge but if you can hook up with some it's a fun little adventure.

dlague

There were plenty of people hiking the Continental Divide and dropping in. It looked fun. I had no gas left in the tank to do that but if I move out there it will happen.

Smellytele

heading to CO on Saturday and will be hitting A-basin Sunday, Vail Monday, Keystone Tuesday and Loveland on the way out for a half day or so Wednesday (flight isn't until 4:15). Great reports Thanks

dlague

heading to CO on Saturday and will be hitting A-basin Sunday, Vail Monday, Keystone Tuesday and Loveland on the way out for a half day or so Wednesday (flight isn't until 4:15). Great reports Thanks

Hope you have a great time!