• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

M.S. Vermont, Feb 5, 2014

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Getting a little snoozy, but I want this info out tonight to benefit those on the deciding line...

Nice little journey to Dover last night, put me on the hill at opening bell. There was about 5" down by 8AM. The snow was moveable, but a bit heavier than blower pow. Sounds like further north had lighter snow. Definitely more work than last month's 12" in Mt. Wash Valley.

Did some blues on the front face, started on Exhibition; it skied much, much better than last month. There was enough snow that you could go pretty much anywhere without concern about picking your turns. All the trails on front skied rather similarly, bumping up as they day went on per usual. The snow continued heavy most of the the day, lightening up 10-11 and then after 3pm.

This is definitely some of the best snow of the year. Cross fingers, if temps stay cold, the stuff is malleable and will stay in place for a nice base.

Here and there, especially on the steeps, the frozen granular raised its ugly face, but entirely avoidable. Stayed on the main stuff for a while, then wandered over to Sunbrook, which had one of the most delightful trails, mostly because it was lightly tracked and hardly bumped up. I think I skied most of the blues on the front. I had fun on Ledge last time I was there, but it didn't look like fun today. then got bored, so wandered over to North Face, which had some of the nicest skiing of the day. The steeper pitch made slicing through this heavy pow much easier. It wasn't at all windy in the morning.

As a general rule, there was no lift line anywhere.

Canyon express had some nice (ski) lines. I don't think, from a conditions point of view there was a bad trail to be found. There were still several closed trails, which, given the crappy year we've had, should have been open, with "thin cover" posted on top. I guess that's not how MS does things. I am told :wink:those closed trails skied quite nicely and were entirely safe. :)

I was really surprised how bumped up the green trails were (see, I do go everywhere!).

Now, the woods and glades are starting to come into play. The experience ranged from heaven to hell. On the heaven side, there was a couple of very nice areas where the base was good and there wasn't a lot of crap on the forest floor. Skied like a dream. On the flip, there was some areas that were not ready for prime time, mostly due to lack of coverage over small drainage and brooks. I took a wet one for the Gipper, then got out of there. Oh yeah, and don't bring your pretty skis in there. I took a good one off some 6' rocks I didn't see!

I split the day 50/50 between named trails and everywhere else. By about 2pm my legs were burning. Took and hour sabbatical, went back out for the last hour, found a most wonderful woods stash, but then was bummed that it was getting near closing time and I didn't want to get stuck with no way home...

Net-net, got less snow than forecast, but plenty (maybe 8-10") to make it ski nice. Snow was bit heavy, but when you live in the east, you've got nothing to complain about. I'm sure the groomers will flatten out the usual suspects which should make some most wonderful groomer trail skiing tomorrow and through the weekend for that matter.

Now, between you and us girls, let me share some observations.
First, (and this was the one that really made my socks rot), at 9:00 AM, first bell, I was major, major DISAPPOINTED when me and the rest of the paying public got on the lift to see trail after trail :uzi:ENTIRELY TRACKED OUT. Seems :uzi:every frikkin employee got the goods and beat them hard. Unbelievable. There are always the privileged few (Ski Patrol and select others) who make a could of first tracks down a trail, I've come to expect that. However, that people who paid good money, who in fact pay the salaries of said employees, deserve a good "product". This is NOT RIGHT.:smash: An employee told me that not even pass-holders were on the mt. early. OK, give them couple trails. But 'cmon, the whole freaking place?:angry: I am NOT exaggerating. A "product" is not just about grooming and snow-making. It's about the experience. It's really indefensible.

Next observation. Reasons not to like the bubble chair.
1. You get to hear, loud and clear, the conversations by the brain dead boys who believe the only adjective begins with an F and ends in a K, sometimes with an "ing" thrown in. :slap:After about 12 of these in the first minute, I'm glad I had my tunes with me. This happened three times.
2. You not only get to sit with those who drank way too much, but you hear it and smell it all over them. :(
3. Then there was the boy (sorry, the immaturity just oozed from these 20-somethings) who bragged about how he bought none of the ski gear or clothes he owns. :blink: He "found" them. Glad I brought my lock. I moved on.

Next - the employees are trained in manners. Imagine that, in America! When I was say adieu, even the lifties said they hoped I had a nice day and would come back again.

Best thing they ever did was the free bag check. :) So why don't the boys, and yes, I mean boys and only boys not use it?

Why are there so many lid-less guys here? Mostly boarders. WTF? I used to think it was the old schoolers who resisted helmets.

I really like the base layout. It's not a PITA to get from the lodge to the lifts. Pretty much on the same level. :)

OK, that's enough. These are my impressions from someone who wanders from mountain to mountain never to own a pass. Gives me a lot to compare with. I'm sure I'll be hearing from Dr. J soon!

IMG_5021.jpg

IMG_5022.jpg

IMG_5027.jpg

IMG_5031.jpg

IMG_5029.jpg

Last edited:

drjeff

My guess is the pre 9AM track out today had to do with the slew of industry trade people who are at Mount Snow right now for the NSAA East trade show. They will often give them a day with early access privileges during the show, just like Mount Snow gives passholders 30 minutes of exclusive early access on Saturdays from early January through mid March.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
My guess is the pre 9AM track out today had to do with the slew of industry trade people who are at Mount Snow right now for the NSAA East trade show. They will often give them a day with early access privileges during the show, just like Mount Snow gives passholders 30 minutes of exclusive early access on Saturdays from early January through mid March.
Thanks DJ. I have no problem with pass-holders getting early access. They paid their money. Of all days to give them early access, today? Who's more important? It's not right.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Nice. This should make a good base for when I'm there valentine's day. There aren't any deals that day...none...not even a 49$ for 2 deal...everyone stay away :spin:

Thanks for typing all this up. Always happy to read a detailed report/rant:p. Glad to hear you had a good time. Sorry about the brain deads (they're usually in Carinthia but sometimes they branch out on days like today).

drjeff

Thanks DJ. I have no problem with pass-holders getting early access. They paid their money. Of all days to give them early access, today? Who's more important? It's not right.

When the NSAA East snow show is in town, and it's been at Mount Snow the majority of the last 5 or 6 years (I believe it was held at Sunday River a year or two ago), Mount Snow tends to put on a pretty good time for all the other industry GM's/Marketing folks/manufacturers reps, etc who attend the show. And that does tend to include some early, exclusive time on the hill and riding the Bluebird (the folks at Leitner-Poma as well as Mount Snow and Peak resorts do tend to like showing that lift off to others within the industry ;) ). If you were looking around in the area immediately around the mountain side of the Grand Summit hotel, you probably would of seen some of the latest and greatest snowmaking equipment from many different manufacturers as well as a bunch of shiny new grooming vehicles that are brought in for the industry type to check out as they're contemplating their capital improvement expenditures for next season.

As both a snowmaking and grooming equipment "geek" as well as an obvious fan of Mount Snow, I always enjoy the week or 2 leading up to the NSAA snow show as well as the week or 2 after it since there's always lots of new equipment around to check out! As well as it's fun to talk to my friends in mountain ops to see what impressed them and what might very well end up in Mount Snow snowmaking and grooming "aresenal" for next season - yes, I DO have a ski hill production and maintenance equipment issues! ;) :) :lol:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Oh joy.:mad: Well, I'd much rather ski with the limited vacation days and money I have.

While I appreciate your gear geek-ness, it's of very little interest to me. If you're going to give me a half a$$ "product", then charge me as much. For all the money they must be dumping into that gear production perhaps a $30 ticket and I wouldn't B1tch so much. I'm sure you must have the ear of the people who make these decision. How many people are there that can incur so much damage in two hours past sunrise? Must have been hundreds who were long gone by 9am.

There also were quite a few employees who were dressed in their civi's out skiing all day. I know because I struck up a conversation with several of them. When I commented to them about the 9am carnage, all I got was air silence. When pressed, they said they knew who it was, but would go no further.

I have skied MS many times and thought I'd give it out on pow day. Probably not a wise choice. If fair warning had been provided to the general non-geek public, I would have gone elsewhere. You have a real customer satisfaction issue with me which is not going to be ameliorated any time soon. :slap:.

drjeff

Oh joy.:mad: Well, I'd much rather ski with the limited vacation days and money I have.

While I appreciate your gear geek-ness, it's of very little interest to me. If you're going to give me a half a$$ "product", then charge me as much. For all the money they must be dumping into that gear production perhaps a $30 ticket and I wouldn't B1tch so much. I'm sure you must have the ear of the people who make these decision. How many people are there that can incur so much damage in two hours past sunrise? Must have been hundreds who were long gone by 9am.

There also were quite a few employees who were dressed in their civi's out skiing all day. I know because I struck up a conversation with several of them. When I commented to them about the 9am carnage, all I got was air silence. When pressed, they said they knew who it was, but would go no further.

I have skied MS many times and thought I'd give it out on pow day. Probably not a wise choice. If fair warning had been provided to the general non-geek public, I would have gone elsewhere. You have a real customer satisfaction issue with me which is not going to be ameliorated any time soon. :slap:.

No offense Billski, but if you want a bunch of untracked powder on a powder day, then why, even mid-week, head to a "larger/major" resort? They tend to have the most amount of employees, many of whom DO have days off mid-week, plus a larger number of locals, all of whom are there and eager to track up the fresh snow, so that doesn't help either. And that set up is regardless of the presence or absence of a convention at a resort.

As for the number of folks attending the NSAA snow show, I don't know the exact numbers, but it typically between industry manufacturers and equipment reps is in the hundreds, as the NSAA (national ski areas association) only has 2 of these big trade shows across the country during ski season annually, one in the West which was at Steamboat a few weeks ago and then then the Eastern show at Mount Snow this week. So basically if any ski area across the country (and sometimes even from other countries) want to attend, they're sending one or more of their reps to either of these shows. This is one of the ski industries BIG trade events, where many of the products that allow us to enjoy this sport that we love so much, are sold to the areas that we enjoy.

Plus, I do know, having read Mount Snow's daily snow reports the last few days, that they did make mention of the show, and even one day as their snowreport picture of the day, posted a shot of one of the snowcats being used in an operators "skills" challenge, so it's not like they were trying to hide the fact that they had an event there this week and turn it into some "black ops" thing! :dontknow:

drjeff

when was pix of bluebird taken? looks ski on.

Having watched the webcam from Mount Snow yesterday as I was home in CT, the line for the Bluebird in the dozen or so times I looked over the course of the day, appeared to be practically ski on (or at least ski right into the final loading queue which is about 10 chairs of folks maximum) the vast majority of the day - kind of surprised me in a way, but knowing that much of the traffic on a powder day at Mount Snow tends to head to the Northface I can see how that would be

skifree

Having watched the webcam from Mount Snow yesterday as I was home in CT, the line for the Bluebird in the dozen or so times I looked over the course of the day, appeared to be practically ski on (or at least ski right into the final loading queue which is about 10 chairs of folks maximum) the vast majority of the day - kind of surprised me in a way, but knowing that much of the traffic on a powder day at Mount Snow tends to head to the Northface I can see how that would be
makes sense. I wouldn't be lapping bluebird on a powder day either.

Glenn

Nice TR Bill. Hoping the woods ski good this weekend. I'm sure the snow will bring the crowds.

mlctvt

When I looked at the on mountain cams yesterday morning just after 8am I could see skiers on the Bluebird, lots of them. I assumed that the mountain opened early since it was a powder day? Must of been the industry reps

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
No offense Billski, but if you want a bunch of untracked powder on a powder day, then why, even mid-week, head to a "larger/major" resort? They tend to have the most amount of employees, many of whom DO have days off mid-week, plus a larger number of locals, all of whom are there and eager to track up the fresh snow, so that doesn't help either. And that set up is regardless of the presence or absence of a convention at a resort.

One deciding factor was that MS has a substantial number of acres (588]. With that number, I figured there was plenty of room for everyone to spread out. All of my on slope photos looked identical to the two I shared. Worst case, there was about five or six skiers that zoomed past me, then it was me, myself and one or two others the whole way down. This lived up to my expectations of crowds at MS, so I'll stand by that choice as a solid one.

Regarding numbers of employees, I've skied Sugarbush, Jay and Stowe on powder days and have never, ever seen employees consume so much snow so quickly.

In 40 years of skiing, I've consistently found the best skiing early in a powder day is on-piste, right in front of your face. It's only late in the morning that you need to start looking farther afield. There is a method to my madness.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
When I looked at the on mountain cams yesterday morning just after 8am I could see skiers on the Bluebird, lots of them. I assumed that the mountain opened early since it was a powder day? Must of been the industry reps
No, no no. The lifts did not open to the public until 9. That was the masses of equipment junkies trashing the slopes before the paying customers. Evidence at hand...

drjeff

Nah, it was probably just Hermitage Club members since their mountain isn't open until tomorrow and they felt like skiing more than 3-400 vertical feet at a time ;) :lol: :spin:

Gilligan

No, no no. The lifts did not open to the public until 9. That was the masses of equipment junkies trashing the slopes before the paying customers. Evidence at hand...

I am with you, Billski. Very poor of Mount Snow to let this happen. Either open the lifts early for everyone, or make them wait until 9am like everyone else.

sf77

Nice report. I bet the foot of fresh powder skied very well!
You had much better conditions then when I was there this past weekend.