• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Make your own Glades?

Would you cut your own secret glade at your home mountain, if given the chance?

• Hell Yeah. Let me grab my Stihl Chainsaw!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Well...you first!

• Little late, don't you think? I already have my own network! You think that I sit here all day and

• No way. You wouldn't catch me doing this!

• Would if my mountain had enough snow!

• Other (feel free to elaborate).

• Total voters

thetrailboss

Staff member
Personally, I don't know how I feel about this. If it was public land, I might clear some brush, but nothing major. I know that some guys got busted at Pico for doing this. I also know that SB diehards have their own secret stashes as well.

Tin Woodsman

First of all, never with anything mechanical - only hand tools please.

Second, you really should get to know a mountain and the terrain before you consider cutting anything. In some locales, it's getting to be a real problem with people coming in and cutting poor lines with wide open entrances and a lack of consideration for the environment in those sensitive mountain areas.

If at all possible, try to offer your services to the local hill in exchange for a pass or something, especially if on NFS land.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tin Woodsman said:
First of all, never with anything mechanical - only hand tools please.

Second, you really should get to know a mountain and the terrain before you consider cutting anything. In some locales, it's getting to be a real problem with people coming in and cutting poor lines with wide open entrances and a lack of consideration for the environment in those sensitive mountain areas.

If at all possible, try to offer your services to the local hill in exchange for a pass or something, especially if on NFS land.

Though my comments were mainly sarcastic, Tin Woodsman has some good points here that I think people should consider. It is probably best to let the ski areas mark and clear glades.