• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

mandatory GS turns and GS bumps

deadheadskier

Staff member
mandatory GS turns are a Highwaystar trademark

GS bumps are bumps so spread apart you can make GS turns between them. *see Stein's Run at Sugarbush

SkiingInABlueDream

mandatory GS turns are a Highwaystar trademark

GS bumps are bumps so spread apart you can make GS turns between them. *see Stein's Run at Sugarbush

Ok, I think I know what you mean now. Assuming we're thinking of the same thing (I have skied Stein's and other runs with widely spaced bumps), IMO it would be more correct to call it slalom bumps than GS bumps. I've never seen bumps spread so far apart you could make WC-length GS turns among them. That said, "GS bumps" does roll off the tongue better than "slalom bumps".

As for mandatory GS turns... perhaps the trademarker will chime in then.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, not to be taken literally. A WC slalom turn is probably a more accurate length. I didn't coin the term.

I did coin the term Stripper Bumps however.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The former was the intention (typically what you see after a rain event with a fresh dusting masking the glare), but I suppose the later would apply with a bad fall as well. :lol:

Savemeasammy

When I use the term GS bumps, I am sort of talking about the pace. I think of slalom turns as being pretty quick, as are turns in a good bump line (IMO). GS bumps (like was said earlier) are spaced far apart, and you can - and probably will - make a turn or 2 in between them.

Mandatory GS turns...? That's a term for the pros ;)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

SkiingInABlueDream

^^^ Interesting points. I once counted turns per run watching a mogul comp (maybe it was the last olympics, I forget) and IIRC the guys averaged almost 3 moguls per second. The women were something less but still waayyy better than I'll ever do.

Tempo of World cup GS turns is definitely a lot slower. As for slalom, I was originally thinking no way it's as quick in tempo as moguls, but on 2nd thought I'm not sure. (I should look up some footage.) And are we including or excluding those super tight sections of slalom courses where the skiers more or less just weave their feet around the gates?