• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MLB Playoffs Set

Zand

AL:

Detroit Tigers @ New York Yankees
Oakland Athletics @ Minnesota Twins

NL:

Los Angeles Dodgers @ New York Mets
St. Louis Cardinals @ San Diego Padres

My playoff predictions:

Yankees over Tigers in 3
Twins over Athletics in 5
Dodgers over Mets in 4
Padres over Cardinals in 5

Twins over Yankees in 6
Dodgers over Padres in 7

Dodgers over Twins in 6

I know that prediction is pretty different, but that's my gut feeling.

FRITOLAYGUY

AL:

Detroit Tigers @ New York Yankees
Oakland Athletics @ Minnesota Twins

NL:

Los Angeles Dodgers @ New York Mets
St. Louis Cardinals @ San Diego Padres

My playoff predictions:

Yankees over Tigers in 3
Twins over Athletics in 5
Dodgers over Mets in 4
Padres over Cardinals in 5

Twins over Yankees in 6
Dodgers over Padres in 7

Dodgers over Twins in 6

I know that prediction is pretty different, but that's my gut feeling.

Mlb better hope it doesnt end up that way it will be one of the lowest ratings for a WS ever.. I think it will go like this

Yanks 3-1, gotta give the tiggers one game
Twinks in 5 over A's
Mets in 4 over Dodgers
Cards in 5 Over padres

Yanks in 6 over Twinks
Cards in 6 over Mets

Yanks in 6 over Cards.

I really cant see how the yankees can blow it this year, the road is paved for them, they just have to get their egos on the same page and its a done deal no matter who makes it from the NL...

ChileMass

How can you cheer for the Yanks when they have 3 starters named Moose, Wang and Johnson?.........:lol:

2knees

How can you cheer for the Yanks when they have 3 starters named Moose, Wang and Johnson?.........:lol:

lmao.

its hard to see someone beating the yanks this year even with their lack of pitching. (thats for jimg.) But i cant pick them so i'll go with the Mets and Twins in the world series, twinkies in 6 games.

FRITOLAYGUY

I dont think the road has ever been easier than this year for the Yanks, they better capitalize with that Payroll , sorry Jim had to say it.

JimG.

Staff member
I dont think the road has ever been easier than this year for the Yanks, they better capitalize with that Payroll , sorry Jim had to say it.

The road for the Yanks is NEVER easy because everyone expects/requires them to win...if they make it to the series and lose, they suck. If they win, it's expected and they had to because of the dreaded payroll.

Which other teams (Mets, Bosox, Orioles, etc) are in the payroll top 5? It sure as hell isn't the A's, Tigers, or Twins.

So what is that saying about those other high payroll teams? At least George gets what he pays for.

FRITOLAYGUY

Cmon Jim this time its easier, no Redsox which usually is a 7 gamer.. And no Angels , thats the team that just has your number for whatever reason.. The 2 biggest threats are out this year, no excuses!

JimG.

Staff member
Cmon Jim this time its easier, no Redsox which usually is a 7 gamer.. And no Angels , thats the team that just has your number for whatever reason.. The 2 biggest threats are out this year, no excuses!

You neglected to respond to my question about the other high payroll teams though (I believe the Red Sox and Angels are in that group); why aren't those teams still playing?

If your going to hold teams to a winning standard just because of payroll, you need to answer that question.

But I forget, that only applies to the Yankees; must be nice to live in a world filled with double standards.

FRITOLAYGUY

It only applies to them because they are #1, u dont ever hear about the 2nd highest payroll or 3rd.. Its just like Arod, hes the highest paid he takes the brunt of it.. I bet u cant even tell me the 2nd highest paid without looking it up, hint he plays next to Arod, oh and the 3rd highest, ya they both throw to him.. But u never hear anything about them or Manny for instance i think hes like 6th or 7th now, a complete idiot and everyone accepts him.. I dont have an excuse for the Redsox, they are the 2nd highest in baseball by far and turned in a crap perfomance.. No 2004 doesnt tide me over either.. However 120Million is still 74 million behind the Yankees, now thats ALOT

FRITOLAYGUY

And the Redsox had one of the worst collapses ive ever seen. After sweeping the Mets right before the Allstar break and winning whatever it was 11 in a row i think, to go down like that with that Payroll was a disaster, they stunk up the joint jim, and i was embarrassed. And the ship started to sink wayyyy before injuries, even with that payroll they should have been able to take on a few injuries and still make the playoffs, the yankees did with Hideki, and Sheff on the shelf almost all year..

2knees

And the Redsox had one of the worst collapses ive ever seen. After sweeping the Mets right before the Allstar break and winning whatever it was 11 in a row i think, to go down like that with that Payroll was a disaster, they stunk up the joint jim, and i was embarrassed. And the ship started to sink wayyyy before injuries, even with that payroll they should have been able to take on a few injuries and still make the playoffs, the yankees did with Hideki, and Sheff on the shelf almost all year..

I think the globe put it best when they used the headline "Its Epstein, not Einstein" He made the cardinal sin of thinking he had too much pitching. Not saying Arroyo wouldve made a difference but you can never have to much pitching. Sanchez and Ramirez played better for florida then beckett and lowell for the sox. signing clement 2 years ago was a disaster. Now we have a soon to be 40 yo ace who may or may not come back next year and beckett. other then that, their pitching is in total shambles. hard to believe you could spend 125 mil and end up with that roster.

FRITOLAYGUY

Ya Beckett was horrible, hopefully next year he will find himself.. I will admit im jealous of the Yankess, ill never know what its like to watch my baseball team play in October for 10+yrs in a row.. Must be nice.

2knees

Ya Beckett was horrible, hopefully next year he will find himself.. I will admit im jealous of the Yankess, ill never know what its like to watch my baseball team play in October for 10+yrs in a row.. Must be nice.

I honestly think he'll be much better next year. actually i pray he will. people tend to forget he's only 26. He just has to learn that in the a.l., you cant just throw the ball past people. now, lets convince the sox brass to go sign zito in the off-season, although i bet he ends up on the yankees.

FRITOLAYGUY

I dunno how zito would do here or NY, it takes a certain mentality to pitch for the 2 teams, alot of people come and go because they cant handle the pressure, im not sure being out west has prepared him for what will be expected everynight here..

ChileMass

I dunno how zito would do here or NY, it takes a certain mentality to pitch for the 2 teams, alot of people come and go because they cant handle the pressure, im not sure being out west has prepared him for what will be expected everynight here..

Zito's a tough kid, and I hate to say it but I think he'd do better in NY than in Boston. The level of single-minded insanity for baseball in Boston is such that you need to be a Schilling to handle it.

Beckett will be better next year when he has more time to prepare for the AL, but see my note about Zito above. You need to be mentally tough to handle the scrutiny and pressure of Boston. I hope he's up to it.

And - this is the toughest part - I have to hand it to the Yanks for being smart. Outspending everyone else is only one part of the equation - you also have to spend the money on good players and the Yanks do that. For a bunch of years back in the 80s and early 90s, the Yanks out-spent everyone else, but spent the mopney on some questionable players (Hideki Irabu, Ken Phelps, even Deion Sanders!). Now Brian Cashman spends tons of Fat George's dough on the best and they win. Congratulations - I still hate the Yankees.........

JimG.

Staff member
And - this is the toughest part - I have to hand it to the Yanks for being smart. Outspending everyone else is only one part of the equation - you also have to spend the money on good players and the Yanks do that. For a bunch of years back in the 80s and early 90s, the Yanks out-spent everyone else, but spent the mopney on some questionable players (Hideki Irabu, Ken Phelps, even Deion Sanders!). Now Brian Cashman spends tons of Fat George's dough on the best and they win. Congratulations - I still hate the Yankees.........

The Bobby Abreau deal changed the Yankees season totally around...and please don't say they made the move to get Cory Lidle who was a throw in to the deal at best. And since Philly didn't want Abreau anymore and his attitude about being in Philly stunk, they got rid of a clubhouse problem.

And even better for Philly, they played better after the deal was made and almost snuck into the playoffs.

RIDEr

Website
www.hobokenskiclub.com
I wouldn't expect too many people from MA to be rooting for the Yanks, but they are following the rules given to them. I expect them to make it to the World Series since there really isn't that much competition with the Tigers on the down fall, A's who always blow it in the playoffs and the Twins who lost their number 2 starter for the season

In the World Series, only the Mets (not being biased here) beat up on the Yankees during interleague play. The other teams couldn't handle the pressure... now isn't the playoffs all about pressure?