• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MLB Postseason Thread

Zand

Series are just about set... in the AL it'll be BOS @ LAA and CWS or MIN @ TB. In the NL it'll be MIL @ PHI and LAD @ CHC.

Just got tickets to game 4 at Fenway. $115 each for grandstand, not bad at all for Fenway. It'll only be the 4th most I've ever paid for tix with the other 3 in the regular season so decent relatively speaking.

FRITOLAYGUY

Well for whatever reason the sox have the Angels number i belive they have won 8 consecutive playoff games against them dating back to 86 which ties a record, but i have a bad feeling this year for whatever reason, i would love to see cubs sox, and sox , tampa before that so i can drive down to the Trop and see a few games, 14bucks for a playoff ticket here.. I feel your pain i spent 425 last year for 2 tix in the bleachers for sox angels when manny hit the walkoff in game 2, best money i ever spent

Zand

Well for whatever reason the sox have the Angels number i belive they have won 8 consecutive playoff games against them dating back to 86 which ties a record, but i have a bad feeling this year for whatever reason, i would love to see cubs sox, and sox , tampa before that so i can drive down to the Trop and see a few games, 14bucks for a playoff ticket here.. I feel your pain i spent 425 last year for 2 tix in the bleachers for sox angels when manny hit the walkoff in game 2, best money i ever spent

In the World Series last year, it would've been cheaper to buy plane tickets to Denver, get tickets to Coors Field, get a hotel for the night in Denver, and fly back the next day than to buy tix at Fenway. At least the ALDS prices are a little lower this year at Fenway. We aren't even the most expensive this year, Chicago and I think Milwaukee have us beat.

2knees

Well for whatever reason the sox have the Angels number i belive they have won 8 consecutive playoff games against them dating back to 86 which ties a record, but i have a bad feeling this year for whatever reason,

not feeling it this year either. Seems like a different team completely although many of the players are the same. Texiera (sp?) was a monster pickup for them. protection for vlad, although he's kinda banged up and wasnt really himself this year. Lackey has had horrible numbers against them in the past but i believe most of that was at fenway, which probably wont be the case this year. I'd assume he'll be first in line followed by santana and then either saunders or garland

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm actually pretty confident about the Sox this post season. I think Beckett, Lester and Dice-K are a formidable trio. I like the teams depth, Elsbury is hot right now and could be a terror on the base paths. Getting valuable playing time from Mike Lowell will be key.

2knees

I'm actually pretty confident about the Sox this post season. I think Beckett, Lester and Dice-K are a formidable trio. I like the teams depth, Elsbury is hot right now and could be a terror on the base paths. Getting valuable playing time from Mike Lowell will be key.

sox rotation is solid. Offense without lowell, drew and 1/2 an ortiz has been spotty at times. Lowell has a major hip problem. Last i heard, he would be on the roster as a pinch hitter only. Its that bad.

2knees

BTW, doesnt anyone else subscribe to the "think the worst, and be pleasantly surprised often" school of mentality?

Mildcat

Becketts out for game one now. Strained oblique. Scheduled for game three. That sucks big time.

FRITOLAYGUY

not feeling it this year either. Seems like a different team completely although many of the players are the same. Texiera (sp?) was a monster pickup for them. protection for vlad, although he's kinda banged up and wasnt really himself this year. Lackey has had horrible numbers against them in the past but i believe most of that was at fenway, which probably wont be the case this year. I'd assume he'll be first in line followed by santana and then either saunders or garland

Ya this year might go like 2005 when they lost to the Whitesox, of course lou merloni blew that whole series with an error or it might have been different. Hopefully they can split in LA and beckett be beckett when they get back

ComeBackMudPuddles

Not to be a hater, but, you gotta wonder if Beckett can bounce back from this injury....And, which Dice-K is going to show up? He has a good record (for what that's worth), but walks in the postseason kill you. His last start yesterday was pretty ugly....

That being said, I dislike the Angels of the Greaters Los Angeles Area, and I don't know if they'll be able to "turn it up" in the postseason this year. They've had a pretty easy schedule all year and will need to kick it into high gear. Also, with the addition of Tex, they've got the "win it now" mentality going for them, which isn't always a good thing.

Rays? Really? A feel good story, definitely, but I just don't see it.

Twins or White Sox will be the weakest team in the mix.

I hate to say it, but I'd say the Red Sox have the best chance out of the AL. Red Sox over Rays in 4 in the ALCS.

The NL is a lot easier to call. The Cubs are clearly the best team and Piniella will have them ready. Gonna be Cubs over Phils in 5 in the NLCS.

World Series?

Here, I think I can let personal sentiment get in the way, and say that the Cubs will win in 6, and the whole world will go on and on and on about how great it is for the Cubs to finally win after a century....curses everywhere will be broken....bartman will be released from protective custody.....and, most importantly, everyone will definitely forget about 2004 (please).

dmc

Who are the Phillies playing in round 1?

the Phillys present a problem for me...

My girl has a family connection for Cole Hamels... She's suddenly become a Phillies fan... As a Met fan - I find it tough to root for the Phillies... But Cole is a cool guy and a possible path to World Series tickets...

BUT - I also love the Cubs.. And really want them to win...

Gonna get ugly in my house... i may go out and watch the Hamel's start from the bar...

FRITOLAYGUY

the Phillys present a problem for me...

My girl has a family connection for Cole Hamels... She's suddenly become a Phillies fan... As a Met fan - I find it tough to root for the Phillies... But Cole is a cool guy and a possible path to World Series tickets...

BUT - I also love the Cubs.. And really want them to win...

Gonna get ugly in my house... i may go out and watch the Hamel's start from the bar...

D u cant root for the Phillies they have spit in your face the last 2yrs and passed you by in the standings. Root for the cubbies

WJenness

ChiSox get in with a great pitching performance and a solo shot from Jim Thome.

It was a great game to watch even though I was pulling for the Twins.

-w

ComeBackMudPuddles

ChiSox get in with a great pitching performance and a solo shot from Jim Thome.

It was a great game to watch even though I was pulling for the Twins.

-w

White Sox showed much more heart than I thought they had....Good on Junior to come through with a great defensive throw from center to nail the runner at the plate.

JimG.

Staff member
Red Sox win the AL pennant.

Dodgers win the NL pennant just because Joe Torre deserves to go to the series after the Yankees insulted him last season and let him leave. Dopes! And I'm a Yanks fan.

Dodgers win the series in 7 in the bottom of the ninth at Fenway when Manny hits a grand slam off Papelbon who is brought in to protect a sure 3 run lead. Because the Sox are dopes for trading him away.

Then we can all listen to Hank Steinbrenner go off about how the playoffs are a bad system because the Dodgers won.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
That Twins/White Sox game was so weird to watch . . . All those black shirts in the audience, it made it look crazy. Cool, but also crazy.

My prediction:

Angels over Red Sox, Then over White Sox
Dodgers over Cubs, then over Phillies
Angels over Dodgers in Battle of Los Angeles

FRITOLAYGUY

Great grind out win by the sox tonite, what a luxury to throw out lester, then the dice man who hasnt lost on the road this year, worst case scenario is you have the best postseason pitcher currently active in mlb to either slam the door or take control of the series waiting back in Boston in game 3.