• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MLK Black Out/Perceived Poor Conditions (The Perfect Storm for Lower Resort Visits?)

dlague

I am kind of laughing to some degree because resorts black out MLK weekend but this year due to the rain over the past two weeks and the thaw it is my guess that resort visits will be down except for those prepurchased commitments or season ticket holders! In fact, if it were not MLK weekend, the conditions would not stop us from going. However, in our case, it is the Black Out dates. There are a few deals that we are considering for Saturday but we may skip the weekend. Not a fan of paying full price first and foremost and certainly not for preseason conditions!

I am noticing some last minute deals popping up to salvage the weekend!

hammer

I'm also hopeful. Have only been out once so I'd be perfectly happy with the current conditions but I do find it hard to pay the rack rate.

xwhaler

I'll be making turns at Whaleback on Sat----great wknd to support the little guys!

ScottySkis

I going to Elk Pennsylvania 52$ for morning ticket they make good snow and have great grooming and best in PA most would say. You check it out on Sunday.

4aprice

I think it will be busy regardless of the weather. School schedules pay no attention to the weather.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

I just do not see people paying full fare for what there is to ski on! The ski area business model dictates the charge full rates at this time of the season but the trail selection is limited equal to early December in many cases. I think the people on AZ are savvy enough not to pay full ticket rates and are either season ticket holders or find ways to get a discount.

I know of two families that are seeking alternative plans for this weekend because they think conditions will be hard, limited terrain with potentially too many people. I am not sure if the too many people part will ring true!

skifree

couple inches of new/couple beers/outside with good company. sounds fun to me.

BenedictGomez

I just do not see people paying full fare for what there is to ski on!

Definitely.

Were it not for the fact that MLK is the one trip I book in advance each year, I would bag this weekend.

Every other trip I do is last minute, based on what looks best.

yeggous

Jay and Burke are not blacked out this weekend. New Hampshire and Maine generally do not do the whole blackout thing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
In some ways, I think it's in many ski areas best interest to keep the holiday rate this weekend and not offer a discount. Most places simply don't have the open skiable terrain available to handle a typical MLK weekend crowd. The Okemo, Killington and Loon type mountains do, but places like Smuggs, Burke, Wildcat right now would be a complete disaster with large crowds. So, offering an incentive to get more people on those type of hills might create an experience that first time visitors would never consider returning to.

tnt

I think it will be busy regardless of the weather. School schedules pay no attention to the weather.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Are schools in your area out friday?

OUr are, so we're going to ski friday instead of the weekend. Wondering if how many other jersey schools are off as well.

Smellytele

I'll be making turns at Whaleback on Sat----great wknd to support the little guys!

May head there Sunday with Magic on Monday. Need something other than Pats (which by the way is skiing pretty good with all trails open) after too many days there in the last few weeks.

4aprice

Are schools in your area out friday?

OUr are, so we're going to ski friday instead of the weekend. Wondering if how many other jersey schools are off as well.

We're not off but over the weekend will be at CBK. This is a planned break so people are going to go skiing. Last year Camelback set a record for number of lessons given on MLK, most of those I would venture to be beginners. In the future I'll skip it but the boy has practice its where I will be.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

xwhaler

May head there Sunday with Magic on Monday. Need something other than Pats (which by the way is skiing pretty good with all trails open) after too many days there in the last few weeks.

It will be nice if they get The Face open for this wknd---would ski a bit bigger with a 3rd route down.

tnt

We're not off but over the weekend will be at CBK. This is a planned break so people are going to go skiing. Last year Camelback set a record for number of lessons given on MLK, most of those I would venture to be beginners. In the future I'll skip it but the boy has practice its where I will be.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Did you ski the friday of MLK at CB last year?

That's where I was heading unless you say it was a zoo. Then I'll go jack frost.