• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Monadnock via Old Toll Road & White Arrow 03/07/08

Mike P.

Date(s) Hiked: March 7, 2008

Trails(s) Hiked: Old Tool Road & White Arrow

Total Distance: Roughly 4.5 miles RT

Difficulty: moderate overall, a lot of easy but crampon walking required being very careful as one wrong step in the wrong place could have proved very painful.... or worse.

Conditions: mostly snow, some ice & the cascade near where the White Arrows breaks out from the trees was frozen with feet of ice.

Special Required Equipment: crampons required. (Because the alternative is to bushwhack around the ice which many people had done but I won't recommend that due to the impact, just bring the proper gear.)

Trip Report: I had planned to head to the Whites on Saturday but since the early afternoon in Keene looked nice & I wanted to use my crampons this winter. The last two were snowshoe trips. Also, the idea of a 10 mile hike in sleet/rain & snow & then a 200+ mile ride home in the storm sounded dumb at best. From the top, I could see the clouds coming in. By the time I was headed across back to Keene on 124 in a couple of spots, I could see the summit was in & out of the clouds.

I make some silly decisons at times on hiking in the rain/snow, etc. but this was a smart & fun one for a change

Mike P.
mapaggioli4000@aol.com

LongStep

Date(s) Hiked: March 7, 2008

Trails(s) Hiked: Old Tool Road & White Arrow

Total Distance: Roughly 4.5 miles RT

Difficulty: moderate overall, a lot of easy but crampon walking required being very careful as one wrong step in the wrong place could have proved very painful.... or worse.

Conditions: mostly snow, some ice & the cascade near where the White Arrows breaks out from the trees was frozen with feet of ice.

Special Required Equipment: crampons required. (Because the alternative is to bushwhack around the ice which many people had done but I won't recommend that due to the impact, just bring the proper gear.)

Trip Report: I had planned to head to the Whites on Saturday but since the early afternoon in Keene looked nice & I wanted to use my crampons this winter. The last two were snowshoe trips. Also, the idea of a 10 mile hike in sleet/rain & snow & then a 200+ mile ride home in the storm sounded dumb at best. From the top, I could see the clouds coming in. By the time I was headed across back to Keene on 124 in a couple of spots, I could see the summit was in & out of the clouds.

I make some silly decisons at times on hiking in the rain/snow, etc. but this was a smart & fun one for a change

Mike P.
mapaggioli4000@aol.com

nice to know people hike in southern NH too!!!. I drive on 101 quite often for work and the view of Monadnock is great. How much snow was up there? I haven't been up there since late summer and am thinking of trying it out.

Mike P.

I'd say one to two feet, a lot less than northern NH & even less than Concord. That was a week ago, I suspect they picked some up this weekend (we had rain in SE CT) but this was not a big storm. I'd say a bit more than the last couple fo years but not too much more.