• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mont St-Sauveur QC : May 5, 2013 – Skiing in May, Encore!!!

bigbog

Thanks for the update and new TR Pat.

So they don't seed those bumps. Guess they mowed them due to the colder weather.

That is an impressive amount of snow for 5/12!

+1
...And again, kudos for the tanktops pic(s) Pat!
Really nice to look at snowcover with any depth at all...east of the Continental Divide...
Thanks for headsup on JD's site/posts Pat....it's been a while since connecting with any FirstTracks members...

Last edited:

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
+1
Really nice to look at snowcover with any depth at all...east of the Continental Divide...
Thanks for headsup on JD's site/posts Pat....it's been a while since connecting with any FirstTracks members...

Ah FTO...we've all gone our own way. I'm spending more time on my blog versus various ski forums. Over 10k posts all scattered through out the internet.

Tanktops pics...I only got my camera for last 30-45 minutes. Last chair was at 4:45pm. They were more people including bikinis tops and tanktops when I didn't have my camera.

Not sure what I'm going this weekend...too many things happening. I would like to head to NH, but not sure if I have the time.:cry:

Warp Daddy

Thanks MPS , i have read All of James' stuff at Harveys , good insights abound !! What are your fav places in the Laurentians ?, The guys i got to Tremblant with several times exh yr never seem to wnt to experiment but, I am ready to try a few of the lesser knowns for a change . So what are your favs ?

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Thanks MPS , i have read All of James' stuff at Harveys , good insights abound !! What are your fav places in the Laurentians ?, The guys i got to Tremblant with several times exh yr never seem to wnt to experiment but, I am ready to try a few of the lesser knowns for a change . So what are your favs ?

James gave me a headup before his trip. What is on his list is pretty much bang on the good places in the Laurentians. The problem with the Laurentians is the lack of vertical. There are many small hills, most of them modern which unfortunately lost the rustic charm. I pushed James to checkout MSS, because it is the most (or one of the most) popular ski area in Quebec visit-skier wise. St-Sauveur is a real town, unlike the bottom of Tremblant (not that there is anything wrong with that).

List of places in the Laurentians (south to north all within 5-15 minutes from the autoroute): * part of MSSI
Avila*
MSS*
Habitant
Morin Heights*
Olympia*
Gabriel*
Avalanche - small and local run.
Chanteclerc
Belle Neige
Vallée Bleue - small rustic
Mont Alta - small rustic and all natural
---La Réserve and Mont Garceau are in St. Donat (more than 15 minutes in the neighbouring region (Lanaudière).
Mont Blanc
Tremblant

Warp Daddy

Thanks Patrick ! The womawho runs Auberge du Versant Nord where we stay skis Blanc . apparently it has the most vert of the lesser areas in the region . ut i guess my interest would be not only vert but interesting trails . the ones ive seen on the drive up seem to be mostly stright arrow runs to the bottom . Am i mistaken ?? Are there any that offer twisty old style runs like some in New England ??

I know with your vast experience you have proably done most of them . BTW we diid not get to Camp Fortune or Edelweiss this season for some reason , they are only about an hr and 15 minutes from where me and my ski buddies live .

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Thanks Patrick ! The woman who runs Auberge du Versant Nord where we stay skis Blanc . apparently it has the most vert of the lesser areas in the region . ut i guess my interest would be not only vert but interesting trails . the ones ive seen on the drive up seem to be mostly stright arrow runs to the bottom . Am i mistaken ?? Are there any that offer twisty old style runs like some in New England ??

Vert at Mt. Blanc (as La Réserve) is grossly exaggerated. Mont Blanc is the last place you see (except the lost Gray Rocks) before reaching Tremblant. Trails with character: top 3 : La Réserve, Morin Heights (although ski area is fairly recent and owned by MSSI), Mont Alta (if there is snow and reopens :dontknow: - it wasn't open this season) followed by tiny places like Mont Avalanche and Vallée Bleue. James covered Blanc, La Réserve and MHeights.

I know with your vast experience you have proably done most of them .

All of them except La Réserve. I've been to La Réserve twice, but didn't have my skis. A ski race banquet in 1986(?) and ski duo at the University circuit Finals in 1992(?). Funny, my wife skied at two areas in Quebec before we started going out and one of them was La Réserve. Mont Blanc is fun and there are a few twists, but not that many.

BTW we diid not get to Camp Fortune or Edelweiss this season for some reason , they are only about an hr and 15 minutes from where me and my ski buddies live .

Give a shout next time you're up. There was still some skiable snow at Fortune and Edelweiss on April 27. Did 3 runs on Skyline on the 27th (TR on the blog).

JimG.

Staff member
+1

Have not been to FTO since soon after Marc moved out west years back.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Have not been to FTO since soon after Marc moved out west years back.

Interesting where the Eastern FTO posters went (AZ, TGR, HR, Epic, Zoneski, T4T, Kzone, Ski VT LST, etc.). Some of us are posting at one place while others are posting at multiple places. The fact that a few of us aren't using the same alias makes it harder...mine isn't much of a stretch from Patrick to MadPatSki, however some are totally different.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com