• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

More Chairlift Geekery - Destructive Testing

skiNEwhere

I think this video has been posted a couple times here and there, but I haven't seen a thread dedicated to it. In the early 90's Winter Park took out the Eskimo Chairlift in dramatic fashion.

There are a few tests done, but the the interesting ones can be found at

4:28 - Rollback test
9:52 - Tree falling on haul rope test
11:27 - Fire Test

So I think it's safe to say if you're on a lift that's rolling back faster than the speed of a detachable lift, it would be in your best interest to jump off before you reach the bottom.

This test is old though. I think some resort needs to test a high-speed quad in this manner :D

skiNEwhere

Hey Highway Gnar, I know you try and be all secretive, but I found a leaked video of you on the slopes, you may or may not have seen it before. I'm sure you're a hit with the ladies

SkiingInABlueDream

+1 on a detachable lift rollback test. I have to assume the detachment tracks on those lifts work in reverse, right? Otherwise you could have a serious problem rolling back even just one chair gap.

Another thing I'd like to see is a simulation of rope derailment from a tower. For any given tower span it'd be interesting to see how many chairs hit the ground, how high the rope rebounds, whether it gets above the tower it deroped from and/or whether it gets tangled up in the tower's side arm. Deropement from a hold-down sheave would be also interesting...

I like to think about failure modes when I fly too. :)

dlague

Hey Highway Gnar, I know you try and be all secretive, but I found a leaked video of you on the slopes, you may or may not have seen it before. I'm sure you're a hit with the ladies

That is the gayest video I have ever seen!

vonski

Ya too bad MTV doesn't play videos anymore or this guy would be an American sensation!!! lol

HowieT2

Hope there aren't any fault lines in that area. Looks like pretty sketchy building practices and that the devastation would be massive in the event of a quake.

I think Bolivia is prone to quakes. Certainly chile is. And those buildings look mighty densely packed.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

prsboogie

Imagine a gondola going through Manhattan. Start at Grand Central. One short 3000' section go west to Times Square for tourists. Another 17000' section goes north running along Park Avenue till the northern tip of Central Park, with midstations every 5000' making it useful for transit.

Instead of towers they could build hangers off the buildings and save on costs and space.