• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most busy Holiday Period?

When do you find crowds at ski resorts to be busiest?

• Christmas/Holiday Vacation

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • MLK Weekend

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Presidents Week

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
When do you find crowds to be at their worst?

Never skied Presidents week, but I find MLK weekend to be the worst. At least with Chistmas break the crowds are more spread out. MLK weekend compacts the same number of people into 3 days.

Powderhound

Generally, I always thought it was the Saturday between Christmas and New Years.

drjeff

I find that Christmas week is where I'll experience the busiest day or two of the season(but not necessarily the same crowd volume the whole week).

MLK weekend seems to be more dependent on "how recently did it snow" to take it from a big crowd to a BIG crowd these days

And Pres week often to me seems to be the least crowded of the three, especially since more and more school districts don't have a full week off anymore since they close schools these days with seemingly just the threat of snow falling and use up the alotment of budgeted snow days quicker now that in the past, plus with some states, that actually do have a "winter" break still having it a week or so after Presidents Week

x10003q

Xmas - adding to the crowding is the lack of terrain most years. My kids now only have 2 days off on the first weekend of President's vacation. This started last year. They used to have the whole week off.

farlep99

Xmas vacation week may also be exacerbated by the fact that areas in the northeast usually aren't 100% open terrain-wise. That may mean fewer running lifts, which may mean longer lines & crowded trails. Just a thought

St. Jerry

Actually it's the three days after Thanksgiving. Trail(s) are never more crowded those days.

SIKSKIER

Crowding is relative.Thanksgiving and X-mas might be crowded because of whats open but there certainly normally is a lot more people during MLK and Presidents holidays.

hammer

If one really wants to go MLK weekend are any days less crazy? Looking to go but not sure whether waiting until Monday would work best. Thinking Crotched or Gunstock, both areas are close enough to home and are usually less crowded in general.

drjeff

If one really wants to go MLK weekend are any days less crazy? Looking to go but not sure whether waiting until Monday would work best. Thinking Crotched or Gunstock, both areas are close enough to home and are usually less crowded in general.

Saturday of MLK tends to be the worst, a little less crowded especially in the morning (unless its a powder day) on Sunday, and then Monday tends to not be too busy, especially after lunch. That's been my experience the last 15 or so MLK day weekends