• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most deceptive snow reports

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I don't really care where the mountain reports from as long as they are consistent and they make it know.

Measuring at the base is by far the most useful. Sometimes 3 inches at the top is rain at the bottom.

Lastly, resorts shouldn't count snowfall at the begining of the year unless its adds to their base.
I KNOW I am in the minority here. I disagree.

cdskier

I like it when Resorts count the snowfall at the very top of the mtn for their snowfall report. I don't know about you but I don't just ski the top 200 vertical feet of a mountian. Resorts should make it common practice to report snowfall totals at the top, middle and bottom. This would give you a more accurate snow report based on the part of the mtn you are skiing. Sugarbush is the only resort that will give you top and middle snowfall amounts but the seasonal average is from the top.
Lastly, resorts shouldn't count snowfall at the begining of the year unless its adds to their base.

I agree. Although for Sugarbush I don't understand why they don't list the season totals for all 3 measurements on their website (they do list them on their e-mailed snow reports so it isn't like they're not tracking them on a continual basis).

I agree about the last point as well. Drives me nuts when a resort counts snowfall from October or early November that melts before they even open for the season.

nhskier1969

You gotta love Mad River Glens brutally honest snow Report. They will use phrases like "dust on crust" "nor-incher" on their report.

slatham

Love this. This is true old school skiing, not corp BS. Sugarbush and Magic follow this philosophy - others too I am sure but not EPIC thats for sure.

I hope Sugarbush doesn't change their open trail philosophy.

Kingslug20

Stowe has a new name for snow,sleet,ice...
The mansfield medly...oh...boy

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
This is true old school skiing, not corp BS.
In Mad's case, you have shareholders who don't own stock as a financial investment. Shares are not traded on an exchange and no one's employment or salary is based on quarterly returns. If Mad gets killed in a season without snow, it's ok.

It gives you a freedom, that is not fair to compare, to a normal business.

cdskier

What your excuse for the totally biased blog on Gore? getting free beer? That place was a madhouse but not to you? you are the biggest homer when it comes to letting people post balony reports on your B S site
This nonsense again? Leave issues with other sites at those other sites and stop bringing this drama here...

skiur

What your excuse for the totally biased blog on Gore? getting free beer? That place was a madhouse but not to you? you are the biggest homer when it comes to letting people post balony reports on your B S site
Getting old bro....

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
This again? Somebody is bored.

X is correct we do take a pretty positive approach to skiing. That approach covers all of NY and VT not just Gore. You do hear from me personally on Gore fairly often because we have a place there. In total on NYSB we try to mix it up the best we can, covering different mountains.

Is there a rule that says I have to be unbiased? Nobody's paying us, and if anyone has tips on how to actually get a beer, or a bartender's attention, at Gore I'm all ears. In all my years at Gore, more than 20, I've tried four times and succeeded once. I don't drink enough when I am there to get a reputation as a tipper.

Back on topic, I actually think Gore is pretty legit with snow reporting. We have a place nearby, at a similar elevation, and in my experience what they do report is a accurate for the base. My complaint with Gore would be that new snow can go unreported. Not deceptive, but if I owned a mountain I'd make sure to report every inch.

abc

Is there a rule that says I have to be unbiased?
I guess not. Especially when you spell it out where your bias is.

It's good to know a place is clearly biased. Some people prefers unbiased while others prefers echo chamber. Should be no confusion.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Echo chamber implies that others are saying or thinking? the same thing.

My bias is toward fun and enjoyment. I never claimed to be a journalist.

abc

So resorts are totally in their right to report snow condition "biased". (toward the rosy side of course)

I think we all "understand" that.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I think we are talking about two different things.

If resorts BS their snow reporting it's not right or wrong. It's a business decision. IMO not a smart one.

But to some extent I guess people do learn to compensate.