• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 21-22 Season

drjeff

Just an FYI if anyone is going the next few days. Patrol has closed off a number of trails near the base area and/or that feed into the Lower Exhibition/Charlies Chase area, as a Momma bear and her 2 cubs emerged from a den that is in the trees between Lower Exhibition and Charlie's Chase not too far above where the cross over between Canyon and Lower Ex is, this past weekend. They are trying to keep people away from them for various safety reasons for both humans and the bears. Hopefully people will respect the ropes until these bears can move on from their den

Atomic

Pretty cool info doc. So any inside dirt on what is expected on freakin Eclipse Monday? I read that everything's booked up around the mt. and that non-skiing public can park for free - expecting a shtshow for skiers? Midweek pass here so would be good to hit it for leftovers but...

drjeff

Pretty cool info doc. So any inside dirt on what is expected on freakin Eclipse Monday? I read that everything's booked up around the mt. and that non-skiing public can park for free - expecting a shtshow for skiers? Midweek pass here so would be good to hit it for leftovers but...
I know that West Dover is going to be at something like 96% of totality. You have to go 2+hrs North up 100 to Warren (where Sugarbush is) to get to the 1st town with 100% totality. The Killington/Okemo section of 100 is in the 98-99% of totality range.

Not sure how much of a sh$tshow Monday will be at Mount Snow vs further North in the state.

I don't believe the mountain itself has anything formal planned Monday. I do know that multiple other local businesses do have viewing parties per their social media feeds.

Still trying to figure out my plan for the eclipse. Thinking though an early AM departure and a ride up 100 to Stowe for some turns, eclipse viewing, and likely a bunch of traffic on my way back is plan 1... Have a few days to decide though

Atomic

Ok thanks - sounds like it should be doable. I'm way more interested in skiing without throngs of humanoids than the degree of totality...

drjeff

Up to two bear dens causing trail closures now in the general Bluebird lift corridor now from Link on down to the base. Lodge, Middle and Lower Ex, Ego Alley, Somerset Road, Drop, Yardsale, Pats Pitch, Charlie's Chase and a part of Low Traverse all are roped off due to the bears.

The original bear and her 2 cubs near the bottom of Charlie's Chase and Lower Ex are out quite often. The 2nd den is located between Lodge and Middle Ex, between towers 11 and 12 on the Bluebird. Lots of paw prints in the snow there, but I haven't actually seen that one yet.

Canyon quad went down with an electrical issue mid morning on Saturday, and not too long after they started spinning Sundance instead. Been nice having both Sundance and Bluebird spinning for the Spring ops. Snow surface is really good. Sun and temps starting to get the new snow that fell a few days ago sticky, especially over the lower half of the mountain.

Crowds this weekend, with the exception of about 45 minutes or so Saturday AM when Canyon went down prior to them getting Sundance going and spreading out again, have been light, with general 2-5 minute lines at most.

The skiing is very good right now as the mountain heads into its last 2 weeks of operations for the season.

Going to be curious to see what the crowds for the eclipse tomorrow are, or aren't like. Roughly 97% totality at Mount Snow, also very likely far less post eclipse traffic issues vs at resorts further North...

MikeW

Saw them this morning-the cub was already trying to climb up the tree. And Sundance is perfect for me-it's the lift right by my condo. Gonna stay here tomorrow-probably be nuts at Stowe.
Conditions may be the best all season right now.