• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 21-22 Season

skiur

I know that compared to everything else in snow making the lights are basically nothing, but they really seem like a waste of electricity. Does look cool though.

ctdubl07

I wonder if theres any value to the lights for work at night?

The Gulch has had continuous production laid down as well as the the width of base area of Carinthia. I do not see mass production elsewhere yet on Carinthia (like U/L Fools Gold/Nitro) Imagine that will start this week so they can get top to bottom and then start the feature whales.

Looks like they could open Heavy Metal today and have Gulch fully ready if they wanted but crazy the amount of kids hiking up lower Gulch just to hit a few rails and tubes. My kids love C but are more interested in hot lapping the NF and few trails on the front side this weekend.

Im still trying to motivate to go for a few rides....or might just go hike with the dog again.

Newpylong

I know that compared to everything else in snow making the lights are basically nothing, but they really seem like a waste of electricity. Does look cool though.

Literally you're talking about 50 watts per gun, and they aren't for looks. Because fans have such a long throw and variable plume with wind they are useful to see where the snow is going.

drjeff

It almosts seems like they're putting enough down on Gulch to open it with a decent sized park from its initial rope drop day, rather than the more traditional roll out which was get it open with something small, then keep making it bigger with more snowmaking time. I guess that time will tell....

According to their report, it sounds like they're keeping the Gulch area closed for the week to work on building out some features, so can I assume that nothing will be running/open at Carinthia this week? Heading out either tomorrow or Wednesday for day 1 and trying to decide between Stratton & Mt Snow based upon open terrain.

Any chance that MS will get any additional terrain open by then such as Chute, Ridge or Sundance? I understand it's early season and I should be thankful for what we've got, but I do get bored lapping the same few trails. Stratton is one of my least favorite mountains and a bit longer drive, but I'd ski it if it offers a bit more vertical and terrain than MS.

I have both Epic & Ikon so both are already sunk costs.

Thanks in advance.

Skier52

Anyone know why the MS trail and lift report lists everything as closed?

icecoast1

Well they don't call VT the Green Mountain State for nothing! 😉😂

Maybe leaving freefall as a ski it natural trail is vails new strategy for saving money? Who isn't up for some good grass skiing anyway?

urungus

Yes, that appears to be the case. But it makes no sense as people would like to see what is open before they make the trip.
If you look in the written portion at the very bottom, they often describe white trails will be open

urungus

Had a nice first day at Mount Snow on Sunday afternoon.

Saw this “Jerry of the day” candidate in a “Natural Light” snowsuit and tiny backpack.

The wife suggested he must be getting paid to be a human billboard, because no self respecting person would go out like that otherwise. I thought he was a lover of “Natty”, one of those kooks you see on the slopes in Batman outfits, etc. Meaning rather than getting paid, he was shelling out $250 of his own money at https://www.shopbeergear.com/products/natural-light-retro-ski-snowsuit

What do you think ?

53DB686D-98CC-4949-B8AF-552EE8FDD26C.jpeg

16179803-E272-4EFA-A3DE-BBB5F2ADC7E4.jpeg

ThatGuy

First day of the season today, decent for late November. Also got bitched at by some Jerry about how we have to “follow rules” because I walked over the rope to the lift.3DFD6BAD-382D-471D-AFD1-1590736A2FC8.jpeg

ThatGuy

Hopefully they get Carinthia open asap, today was like a snowboarder slalom course. No snowmaking going on but some nice whales are built up on Lodge.
48EEE8A8-2F07-4875-AE0C-40B7A4AA971A.jpeg
D44A101E-9390-4F7D-B33E-39974F606A42.jpeg

drjeff

Hopefully they get Carinthia open asap, today was like a snowboarder slalom course. No snowmaking going on but some nice whales are built up on Lodge.
View attachment 52306
View attachment 52307
Per an email that went out this afternoon to athletes and parents of athletes from the Mount Snow training center, Gulch, and I would presume that means lift(s) at Carinthia are currently scheduled to open and a built out park on Friday.

Should be a nice bump in open trails and acreage and lifts for the weekend based on the work the snowmakers have done since sometime late Friday night/early Saturday AM