• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 21-22 Season

ctdubl07

Anecdotally, while I have certainly seen plenty of familar faces at Mount Snow the past 2 weekends that they've been open, there are also plenty of folks, whom it fairly easy to tell are relatively new to Mount Snow (wouldn't surpise me if they were new Epic Pass owners), as well as over the Holiday periods, there are so many that just ski/ride a few times a year that will show up regardless of a parking fee and booked their trip months ago.

There are ways for regulars to work around the paid parking, and while these changes are mainly from the folks out in CO, there are tons of really great people who work for the mountain, who are busting their butts and working around the higher up managerial decisions that likley aren't from the crew at Mount Snow, to let folks enjoy the sport we all love. And we should all take a moment to thank them at the resort, because its the crew at the resort that delivers the experience, sometimes inspite of directives from higher level management, and both this season and last season the folks you see at the resorts out there working so we all can enjoy the sport, have been through a lot, and we should try and be more appreciative of them and get that they are the face of the company and aren;t always responsible for coporate decisions
Well said Doc although asking that of some folks who post on this thread is likely a losing battle....i suspect they'd also complain about to much alchohol in a drink and getting extra vanilla icecream with their apple pie.

Im hopeful this new policy encourages some carpooling from the younger folks, especially those who come in and out of Carinthia, and look less at is as revenue grab.

ThatGuy

Well said Doc although asking that of some folks who post on this thread is likely a losing battle....i suspect they'd also complain about to much alchohol in a drink and getting extra vanilla icecream with their apple pie.

Im hopeful this new policy encourages some carpooling from the younger folks, especially those who come in and out of Carinthia, and look less at is as revenue grab.
What a terrible analogy. Also I never park at Carinthia but having the entire lot paid on weekends is a terrible idea for multiple reasons.

Can you enlighten me on how this is anything but a revenue grab?

NYDB

What a terrible analogy. Also I never park at Carinthia but having the entire lot paid on weekends is a terrible idea for multiple reasons.

Can you enlighten me on how this is anything but a revenue grab?
you don't like alcohol in your ice cream?

Heading up to Mt Snow tomorrow and plan to park at Carinthia lot. Is the Heavy Metal chair a reliable 9AM start? I thought I read somewhere that it sometimes runs late (understand if there's icing etc.), but I think the weather tonight into tomorrow is pretty tame.

Local insights appreciated.

Pez

Thanks for the info Doc!

I already have my sunday parking plan.

Skied at mount snow today. conditions were OK. cascade was pretty icy and torn up by the time i skied it. did a handful of laps on long john, and called it a day.

in pretty rough shape right now and my legs were jelly after the first run. still great to be out there and get ready for when it's good.

"that's why we practice in this sh#t"

jaytrem

Heading up to Mt Snow tomorrow and plan to park at Carinthia lot. Is the Heavy Metal chair a reliable 9AM start? I thought I read somewhere that it sometimes runs late (understand if there's icing etc.), but I think the weather tonight into tomorrow is pretty tame.

Local insights appreciated.
MS has never been great at getting things going after a storm (compared to Stratton). Not sure if they will be better or worse with Vail running things. That being said, I don't think there will be enough of a mess to delay things tomorrow. I'd feel pretty confident that Heavy Metal will start on time. I started there on Sat and Sun and both days they were ready just about on time. I think it opened a few minutes late on Sun while waiting for a mechanic to finish his ride down.

drjeff

The 3 bartenders in the Station Taproom posted a group photo of them up there tonight after doing some pre-opening stocking and prep work with the caption of "see you soon!"

Can't freaking wait! I was literally sitting in a bar stool in the Taproom on March 14th 2020 when the email from Vail Resorts came out announcing that they would be shutting down immediately due to COVID

It will feel so good to be back up there with my ski friends again

ThatGuy

Don’t know if the 6” displayed on the website are accurate but the little refresh of snow was much needed.

Attachments

• EC38950C-FB77-46E5-8BDF-D7F8B9BD581E.jpeg
    EC38950C-FB77-46E5-8BDF-D7F8B9BD581E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17

ctdubl07

The 3 bartenders in the Station Taproom posted a group photo of them up there tonight after doing some pre-opening stocking and prep work with the caption of "see you soon!"

Can't freaking wait! I was literally sitting in a bar stool in the Taproom on March 14th 2020 when the email from Vail Resorts came out announcing that they would be shutting down immediately due to COVID

It will feel so good to be back up there with my ski friends againHere

Here here! I’ll see you and Pete next weekend. (Sat looks sh*t)
Were also psyched to see music scheduled back at the SnowBarn. Hopefully they’ll bring back an 70s/80s night party like years ago.

If Heavy Metal is then only scheduled Corinthia option and it’s not been weather challenged, its starting times are pretty dependable

GregoryIsaacs

Surprised to see that there's been no update from Vail re paid parking starting this sat. Wonder if they realize the impending tsunami of bad PR they are about to receive.....

icecoast1

Surprised to see that there's been no update from Vail re paid parking starting this sat. Wonder if they realize the impending tsunami of bad PR they are about to receive.....
They probably don't have the staff to actually enforce it

Was at MS yesterday and a large portable digital display on the entrance to the upper right parking lot at Carinthia very clearly stating paid parking begins on December 18th.

Booted up in the Carinthia Lodge lower level (after showing my vaccination card on my phone) and the few folks there were complaining about the parking fees and how it will be managed. Going to be interesting.....

BTW, after showing I was "eligible" to enter the lodge and heading downstairs to boot up and store my bag in the cubbies, you were NOT allowed to go back up the stairs to exit. You had to exit the lower level through the doors to the outside and walk back up to get your skis. Reasoning according to the couple of Vail employees I spoke to was staffing.

drjeff

Was at MS yesterday and a large portable digital display on the entrance to the upper right parking lot at Carinthia very clearly stating paid parking begins on December 18th.

Booted up in the Carinthia Lodge lower level (after showing my vaccination card on my phone) and the few folks there were complaining about the parking fees and how it will be managed. Going to be interesting.....

BTW, after showing I was "eligible" to enter the lodge and heading downstairs to boot up and store my bag in the cubbies, you were NOT allowed to go back up the stairs to exit. You had to exit the lower level through the doors to the outside and walk back up to get your skis. Reasoning according to the couple of Vail employees I spoke to was staffing.

As I understand it with respect to the Carinthia lodge. the downstairs area where the ski shop, lockers, some of the restrooms etc are, is being treated as a separate space than the upstairs where the Cafeteria, and some other restrooms are. Much like in the main base lodge the area where the bathrooms, ski shop and bag check is located is accessed via a separate entrance than the cafeteria is accessed.

Does it make any logical sense? Nope. Is it a policy that they're using that they feel will address any COVID contact issues that as a company they may be worried about? Likely.

Newpylong

I don't get how anyone is dealing with all of these convoluted policies. Paid parking, lodge changes, vaccine requirements for specific services, specific entrances, etc and so on.

I am glad where I ski you just park and can go into the lodge if need be and do your thing with no BS. Also even though I only get to Killington a handful of times a year now, it's still relatively straight forward there now.

Vail has literally taken the fun out of it by making you think so much for something that is supposed to be about relaxing and not really thinking.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
As I understand it with respect to the Carinthia lodge. the downstairs area where the ski shop, lockers, some of the restrooms etc are, is being treated as a separate space than the upstairs where the Cafeteria, and some other restrooms are. Much like in the main base lodge the area where the bathrooms, ski shop and bag check is located is accessed via a separate entrance than the cafeteria is accessed.

Does it make any logical sense? Nope. Is it a policy that they're using that they feel will address any COVID contact issues that as a company they may be worried about? Likely.
Hunter's the same way.............when they have enough staff to check that is.

drjeff

Hunter's the same way.............when they have enough staff to check that is.
Pretty much it that way at all Vail Resorts, since their planning was done a while ago, and it seems like they want consistency across all of their properties rather then go with different things in different geographic areas.

Doesn't make a bunch of sense overall, unless you look at it strictly from a potential legal liability issue taken to the extreme