• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 21-22 Season

JimG.

Staff member
I’ve been renting cars at Hertz Local Edition for day trips. I found a $29 rate for a “full size” car. Friday was an Altima so full size is poetic license. From West Portugal, Mount Snow is 350+ miles round trip so I’d rather use rental cars than pile up miles on mine. I think it’s unlikely that Mount Snow would chase Hertz to find out who rented some Altima and neglected to pay a parking lot fee.
Brilliant strategy I like it.

Geoff

That's fairly average for the places I ski. I'm known to daytrip K which is about 350 round trip.
Killington is 440 miles round trip for me. I did that a number of times to turn the heat on or attend the annual condo meeting in June. 3 hours 40 minutes including a gas stop is the light traffic drive time at 75 mph.

skimagic

I have a VT 4pass to use and was going to head to mount snow Tuesday although it looks a bit windy. I haven't been there during big wind in quite a while, how wind prone is the canyon lift?

drjeff

I have a VT 4pass to use and was going to head to mount snow Tuesday although it looks a bit windy. I haven't been there during big wind in quite a while, how wind prone is the canyon lift?
If the winds are out of the NW, that is the direction most often responsible for wind holds on Canyon.

As an aside, the Ego Alley lift was shut down around noon today due to an issue with a couple of sheaves on one of the towers at the top of Yardsale.

Mechanics were up on the tower soon after they got the lift cleared. It didn't operate the rest of the day, and not sure of its status for tomorrow. Given that that lift is often one of the few base area lifts that is able to run on big wind days, the combo of the remaining MLK Weekend crowds, a good snow storm, and likely wind holds could make tomorrow challenging crowd wise.

On the plus, there were more cars heading South on the roads and highways this evening than I would of expected as I drove back to CT. And I know that many of my friends who typically would of stayed up through MLK Day, but have work obligations they HAVE to be home for 1st thing Tuesday AM chose to leave before the storm arrives, as travel tomorrow sure seems like it will be tough for a good chunk of the day

ctdubl07

A great day all around. Nitro, HMatal and Ego were running from the start. I think Outpost came on around 10 followed by Canyon around 11 (which caused a crazy bottleneck in TNF until Challenger started) and then the BlueBird soon after. Much quicker than i expected from folks comments. We hammered all the woods we could find, all the front side natural trails (Ledge, Uncles, Hop, Shootout, skier left BearTrap) and maybe poached Iron Run to the pipe headwall a few times:) We went wire to wire and the crowds were FAR smaller than Id have ever had expected but I agree, we were leaving the bar last night and the outbound travel was crazy heavy like Id never seen. It did get a little sticky later in day but still great. Interesting that they spent end of the day setting up the corrals for the GS lift and ran it for awhile...maybe its get the nod tomorrow while the clean the bubble? Have fun. Your going to have a great day Tuesday. Still plenty of snow in the woods. Never should have picked Friday to play hookie....tomorrows is the day but Mom says we cant miss anymore school.. ..

jaytrem

I think Outpost came on around 10 followed by Canyon around 11 (which caused a crazy bottleneck in TNF until Challenger started) and then the BlueBird soon after.

Outpost was open from the start, just had to trek over from Ego. Went right over to it first thing. Was super quiet over there for our first 4 runs, then crowds slowly built up.

pinion

Does anyone have recommendations on easier blue trails at Mount Snow?

IMO everything off of Canyons Quad and the Sundance triple. Many of those would be greens at some other New England mountains, and have a steady easy pitch to them.

Sources used: My wife who only ever wants to ski Blues. Those two are here favorite areas. Added bonus that Sundance area is often forgotten by crowds.

ThatGuy

IMO everything off of Canyons Quad and the Sundance triple. Many of those would be greens at some other New England mountains, and have a steady easy pitch to them.

Sources used: My wife who only ever wants to ski Blues. Those two are here favorite areas. Added bonus that Sundance area is often forgotten by crowds.
Do you mean Sunbrook? Lots of easy blues over there.

pinion

Do you mean Sunbrook? Lots of easy blues over there.

I like the Sunbrook blues but the lift length/speed and post-AM crowds over there the past few visits have me hating it. Could be just bad timing. Sundance area is untapped chill IMO... the new quad should bring alot more people into that area next year.

pinion

That was my thought as well. The stuff off Sundance is on the tougher end of the blue spectrum for Mount Snow, and much of it ungroomed. Ridge, while wide and has snowmaking, has some very steep rolls.
I was thinking skiers left off Sundance, but still that might be the same with the rolls. My wife hates steeps and loves that area, so can't be too hard :) Point taken though, the original questions was "easier blues at Mount Snow".

nh2maboarder

Thanks for all the responses! We will be there Friday and Sat, so hopefully crowds wont be too bad in the Sunbrook area on Friday at least!

Tonyr

Skied Mount Snow for the first time today and was pleasantly surprised. The infrastructure is great and it's going to get even better next year with the new lift upgrades. The terrain is on the mellow side but we found a handful of really fun tree runs on and off the map. I'd definitely go back, it was a nice way to finish up what was a freezing cold weekend of skiing otherwise....
20220131_111243~2.jpg20220131_112139.jpg20220131_120742.jpg20220131_114020.jpg20220131_120717.jpg20220131_114016.jpg20220131_120711.jpg

skiur

Mt snow isn't a bad place to visit midweek once or twice a year. I couldn't do weekends their and would get bored after a couple days, but when conditions are good it ain't so bad.

drjeff

Mt snow isn't a bad place to visit midweek once or twice a year. I couldn't do weekends their and would get bored after a couple days, but when conditions are good it ain't so bad.

For us regulars, it's not always about the terrain, it often is as much about the people who are also regulars at the mountain. There really is a strong, great community of people there, as is the case at just about every mountains regulars,

You appreciate the "good" days and then on the so/so days, you also apprecaite the friendship with others who love the sport you do as much.

If later this week can deliver a decent storm, Mount Snow should be able to get into the very good category, as most everywhere (maybe Ripcord until they make some snow on it) has some good base snow down on it, now we just need some "frosting" on top of it!

chuckstah

For us regulars, it's not always about the terrain, it often is as much about the people who are also regulars at the mountain. There really is a strong, great community of people there, as is the case at just about every mountains regulars,

You appreciate the "good" days and then on the so/so days, you also apprecaite the friendship with others who love the sport you do as much.

If later this week can deliver a decent storm, Mount Snow should be able to get into the very good category, as most everywhere (maybe Ripcord until they make some snow on it) has some good base snow down on it, now we just need some "frosting" on top of it!
They were pounding Ripcord yesterday, though not open yet.