• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 21-22 Season

chuckstah

Screenshot_20220420-164114.pngScreenshot_20220420-164015.pngScreenshot_20220420-163959.pngScreenshot_20220420-164055.pngI planned on Jay today with a leftover Indy day, but ended up at Snow after being scared away from the longer drive by wind fears. Decent day on the whopping 2 open runs, plus some poaching opportunities. 3-4 inches freshened it up to winter conditions for the am. Definitely not enough pitch for spring turns.

Newpylong

Snowmaking will be installed on Hop and Shooting Star this off season Friend was there reviewing the work pre-bid.

ctdubl07

Love it. Keep the Smaking expansion going. Logical to pipe a few of "the naturals" in preparation of the new 6 pack dumping people at the top of this terrain off of LJ. Just like they piped more of Sunbrook ahead of the always known to be needed HSQ

drjeff

Snowmaking will be installed on Hop and Shooting Star this off season Friend was there reviewing the work pre-bid.

And the connector from the top of the new 6 pack over to South Bowl below the top pitch is going to be getting some love as well as I understand it. Whether that's using existing pipes now and pushing snow down that maybe 100 yard or so portion of High Traverse or if it gets a bit of pipe of it's own was still TBD last I heard.

Chairlift auction for chairs from the old Sunbrook Quad and Sundance triples goes live on Friday and finishes on Saturday

drjeff

Love it. Keep the Smaking expansion going. Logical to pipe a few of "the naturals" in preparation of the new 6 pack dumping people at the top of this terrain off of LJ. Just like they piped more of Sunbrook ahead of the always known to be needed HSQ
Further snowmaking expansion in Sunbrook in particular is penciled in for likely the '23-'24 season

With Tracy Bartels, the recently promoted now former GM back on CO at the corporate office heading up what is essentaily Vail's capital projects planning division now, as she told many regulars, she certainly has an idea of what Mount Snow needs capital projects wise in the coming years, so that could bode well for continued investment and enhancements. Time will tell

Newpylong

And the connector from the top of the new 6 pack over to South Bowl below the top pitch is going to be getting some love as well as I understand it. Whether that's using existing pipes now and pushing snow down that maybe 100 yard or so portion of High Traverse or if it gets a bit of pipe of it's own was still TBD last I heard.

Chairlift auction for chairs from the old Sunbrook Quad and Sundance triples goes live on Friday and finishes on Saturday

High Traverse gets a short line too this year, forgot to mention that.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
So the mid Hop drop becomes a permanent ice sheet? or would regrading take place and bore this oldie up?

Good times on that section.... boy howdy!

I will miss skiing the natural trails at Mount Snow. Don't know if Vail has the same philosophy but Peaks wanted to get to 100% coverage- like, real 100%. Uncle's, Challenger, Olympic, One More Time, Iron Run- some of my favorite trails anywhere.

Newpylong

Peaks may have said they want to get to 100% for advertisement purposes but they never in reality would have installed infrastructure on the narrower trails, and neither will Vail.

Last edited:

jaytrem

Peaks may have said they want to get to 100% for advertisement purposes but they never in reality would have installed infrastructure on the narrower trails, and neither will Vail.
I just hope the narrow trails don't get wider. Some of the old plans had Uncles being widened, that would suck. At least when they did the new Sunbrook snowmaking they kept things narrow. So that's a good sign.

drjeff

I just hope the narrow trails don't get wider. Some of the old plans had Uncles being widened, that would suck. At least when they did the new Sunbrook snowmaking they kept things narrow. So that's a good sign.

Little Dipper over in Sunbrook is going to be "a Little bit wider Dipper" this coming season from what I have heard

jaytrem

Little Dipper over in Sunbrook is going to be "a Little bit wider Dipper" this coming season from what I have heard
Not surprised considering where they put the pipes. Hopefully just a little.

Newpylong

IMHO the regulatory hurdles of doing so and the ROI would not be be worth the investment.

Newpylong

I would think just enough so they can effectively cover the trail without putting the snow into the trees like what happens in its current state. But I would expect the far side to get more thinning than the pipe side. It is best practice to place the pipes inside the wood line on new installs for skier safety. Plus, you typically have the pipes on the side that prevailing winds originate from, so the snow travels away from the equipment.

drjeff

An average width of 60ft is the number I heard, whereas now it's got an average width of around 30ft.

With the added traffic that part of the mountain will get now, for safety sake, especially until Big Dipper gets some snowmaking to provide a 3rd reliably covered route down in Sunbrook, this is a needed move

jaytrem

An average width of 60ft is the number I heard, whereas now it's got an average width of around 30ft.

With the added traffic that part of the mountain will get now, for safety sake, especially until Big Dipper gets some snowmaking to provide a 3rd reliably covered route down in Sunbrook, this is a needed move
That sucks. Was so cool back there before the chair went in. Felt like you were in the middle of nowhere. Guess it's turning even more into "just another pod".

slatham

They should widen Jaws, put snowmaking on it, and groom it every night........

That is if they never want to see me again (which some might favor 🤪)

jaytrem

They should widen Jaws, put snowmaking on it, and groom it every night........

That is if they never want to see me again (which some might favor 🤪)
I'm still pissed that Plummet screwed up the top. They need to plant some trees and return it to it's former glory.