• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 21-22 Season

drjeff

View attachment 54783

Sundance Express bottom terminal 09/16/2022

On schedule ? Behind schedule ?

On schedule. Towers to be flown for both new lifts(weather permitting) this coming week.

All the concrete is poured and cured, now things go together relatively quickly as I understand it all the parts are on site.

Rumor is they want the new Sundance Express spinning on opening day!

slatham

Not mt snow related but a basin was pouring concrete yesterday so I'd say they are behind schedule

Not necessarily. Much later start at 10,000'+ in Rockies. That said, much later end too. Since no news on issues I'd say they have a plan to sprint to the finish.

Edit: Per Al's Blog today "The last of the Lenawee Express major concrete work is complete. The forms have been stripped. The back fill will continue. Take note of just how huge this piece of concrete is. Once the lift is completed, skiers will only see the top one or two feet of concrete. So much of the lift construction are these foundations and most people never see them."

Last edited:

urungus

Not necessarily. Much later start at 10,000'+ in Rockies. That said, much later end too. Since no news on issues I'd say they have a plan to sprint to the finish.

Edit: Per Al's Blog today "The last of the Lenawee Express major concrete work is complete. The forms have been stripped. The back fill will continue. Take note of just how huge this piece of concrete is. Once the lift is completed, skiers will only see the top one or two feet of concrete. So much of the lift construction are these foundations and most people never see them."
Wow, that is impressive work at A basin, here’s the link with photos http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/

bigbob

Is this a 2 season install or supposed to be up and running for this coming season?

jaytrem

Is this a 2 season install or supposed to be up and running for this coming season?
This season. Things should move along quickly now that the concrete is done. They can use Pali to Beavers if it's not ready before the snow is.

drjeff

Per their social media feeds, the chopper is on site today and towers are being flown. Not sure if this is a 1 or 2 day chopper event to get them flown for both lifts.

I know that spools of what sure looked like haul rope and the both the quad and 6 packs chairs were on site Labor Day weekend. Things are moving along

SLyardsale

On schedule too from what I hear

After next week, the towers may be inplace before the terminals, but the Dopp crew has all of the parts on site
per Snow GM, Sundance Express by Thanksgiving, Sunbrook Express by mid December. Also, Sundance Lodge open 7 days a week.

urungus

The new 6-pack and having the Sundance lodge open every day could actually relieve some of the pressure on the main base area. You can even get to North Face from the top of the new lift.

Newpylong

Definitely will relieve. That will be great having that base open 7 days. When I was a passholder that's where I always started my day in the mid 2000s.

doublediamond

To get to North Face you’d have to take High Traverse crossing the entire main face. I’ve never seen the entirety of High Traverse open. Often between South Bowl and Lodge it’s roped off in numerous locations.

raisingarizona

To get to North Face you’d have to take High Traverse crossing the entire main face. I’ve never seen the entirety of High Traverse open. Often between South Bowl and Lodge it’s roped off in numerous locations.
A traverse that cuts across all of the main frontside trails could be dangerous I'd imagine.

jaytrem

I think it at one time it was more usable. Been a LONG time since I've done it. There might even be pipes in the way now by the bubble and maybe a bit overgrown between the quad and the bubble? But still, it's probably less strenuous than Ego to the NF. Will be interesting to see how the new Sundance does in the wind.

drjeff

I think it at one time it was more usable. Been a LONG time since I've done it. There might even be pipes in the way now by the bubble and maybe a bit overgrown between the quad and the bubble? But still, it's probably less strenuous than Ego to the NF. Will be interesting to see how the new Sundance does in the wind.
Still skiable all the way across. With the 1st piece of High Traverse from the top of the new Subdance Express down to South Bowl getting snowmaking this year, that will help. You do have to cross over air and water pipes on the Bluebird side of Southbowl to make it over, so that is an logistical issue, even if the b-net for race training isn't up on that side of Southbowl.

Probably easier, and certainly less physical effort, to access the Northface from the Subdance Lodge by riding BOTH the new lifts this season!

Newpylong

Yep, with snowmaking on Shooting Star that's a pretty quick way over by avoiding the Main Face entirely.

If I was running that hill I definitely wouldn't want High Traverse open all the way across the front now.