• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 21-22 Season

With only the Heavy metal lift running out of Carinthia, can I assume you can boot up in the lodge?

Also, is the ticket window there open as I'm still waiting on my Epic Pass and may need the ticket window, assuming it's open at Carinthia, to print it for me.

drjeff

With only the Heavy metal lift running out of Carinthia, can I assume you can boot up in the lodge?

Also, is the ticket window there open as I'm still waiting on my Epic Pass and may need the ticket window, assuming it's open at Carinthia, to print it for me.
Since the cafeteria in the Carinthia lodge is open and serving food, I would presume that the ticket window is open as well

drjeff

Little damp this morning. No crowds. Soft hero snow with good coverage (a couple of here and there pieces of rock along the flats of Long John worked the way up through the machine groomer that are easily avoidable). Having Hop with snowmaking and open Thanksgiving weekend is a great thing!

The visual appearance of where Ridge/Somerset Road and Coopers Junction meet without the top terminal of Tumbleweed no not there will take a few runs by it to get used to that "new" view.

Good vibe around the mountain today

drjeff

Anyone know when new Sundance Express lift is scheduled to open ?
The haul rope, without carriers (chairs) on it was spinning for the few hours I was out on the hill from 8 until a little after noon today and skied by it every so often.

Heard rumors of anywhere in the next week up until mid December as the opening timeframe while skiing and socializing with folks who should have an idea. With Sunbrook consistently being mentioned as by Christmas...

All I know is the roughly 70 million gallons of water they apparently pumped up the hill and through the snowmaking system in the last 10 or so days has a bunch of acres open (more than most Thanksgiving Weekends in the close to 40 years I have been a Mount Snow skier and closing in on 20 years that I have owned a 2nd home here) that wouldn't of been open in almost any other previous season.

ThatGuy

Snowmakers outdoing themselves this season, love skiing Hop and Ridge early.
Hoping Sunbrook is done by Christmas because I love that side of the mountain. Having to do the Beartrap loop can be a slog, especially on a busy day.

drjeff

Snowmakers outdoing themselves this season, love skiing Hop and Ridge early.
Hoping Sunbrook is done by Christmas because I love that side of the mountain. Having to do the Beartrap loop can be a slog, especially on a busy day.
Snowmaking on Hop was a great addition for sure!

Newpylong

That's gotta be weird to be on Hop on manmade forget this early! Get any pictures?

They isn't add any to Shootout did they?

drjeff

That's gotta be weird to be on Hop on manmade forget this early! Get any pictures?

They isn't add any to Shootout did they?
Nothing (yet) on Shootout except for a number of big, shiny new Dopp towers!

A number of my circle of ski friends seem to quickly be going from some skepticism about adding snowmaking to "classic" trails that didn't have it before to "this actually is a good idea" with each November lap they're getting on Hop this weekend!

Newpylong

Eh I don't think anything they added it to so far were "Classic" and any loss. You could have sailed the USS Nimitz down Little Dipper, Upper Titanium, Hop and Shooting Star. Uncles, Iron Run, Jaws etc now that's another story but I don't see them every installing it there.

drjeff

Eh I don't think anything they added it to so far were "Classic" and any loss. You could have sailed the USS Nimitz down Little Dipper, Upper Titanium, Hop and Shooting Star. Uncles, Iron Run, Jaws etc now that's another story but I don't see them every installing it there.
20221127_105959.jpg
Top of Hop all Kliked up and with good coverage this morning

slatham

Hop is a great addition to snowmaking list. Are those automatic klicks, or manual?

Uncles and Jaws should stay natural IMHO.

Glad to hear a good start. Not a big Vail fan but I have a lot of great history and fondness for Mt Snow.

Newpylong

Those are "manual" but some people call then semi auto. Still gotta manually operate them but they draw water and air and drain the hydrant/hoses for you.

The ex-ski racer in me sees that as a great option for training. Good consistent pitch and length.

I've done a GS on Timbers before there was a timing shack at the bottom. It was a pretty steep course. They still do that or is it all on Ego and South Bowl?

Last edited:

drjeff

Hop is a great addition to snowmaking list. Are those automatic klicks, or manual?

Uncles and Jaws should stay natural IMHO.

Glad to hear a good start. Not a big Vail fan but I have a lot of great history and fondness for Mt Snow.
The semi automated Kilks as I understand. The air lines are permanently hooked up and the ops guys have to hook up the water line and pull the lever to get the gun running as it was explained to me.

And while I do enjoy the character of a twisty, undulating old school natural snow trail, if mother nature keeps getting a bit more challenging for natural snow only terrain, I am all for adding snowmaking, then say laying down a base early in the season, and then let mother nature do her thing the rest of the season with minimal help from the mtn ops folks. I'd much rather have more days per season with a trail open and a bit of help from the mtn ops folks than limited days per season with a trail open.

And Newpylong, I know for sure that the race team has inquired about getting to set on Hop in a few weeks once they get some more acres open!

jaytrem

They put down a base on Jaws for a number of years when Plummet was cut. Guess that's not as easy anymore with the pipe moved to the other side,would have to use Ripcord's. I'm not complaining. Would rather wait for the natural.