• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 21-22 Season

urungus

North Face icy AF today. Hop was full of huge whales, very fun. Best snow was on Long John and The Gulch, both recently resurfaced and skied great. Cascade/Canyon packed down pretty firm. Diid not make it to top of Ridge. No sign of activity on Sundance lift.

ThatGuy

Needed ice skates for Cascade but Long John was great. Love the look of the new Sundance terminal, very sleek.
A401B175-9FA6-4CC6-9029-4F3CAB718EFD.jpeg
0B15254B-3798-446B-A97E-C9479436F87D.jpeg

drjeff

The snowpack took a BUNCH of water on Saturday for sure! As in I had a small stream running through the parking lot about 3 Saturday afternoon when I went to put my boot bag in my car amount of rain!

Fingers crossed I'll get my first ride on the new Sundance Express this weekend. The chairs were running FAST as they were testing it over the weekend!

Snow surfaces today were far better than I ever imagined. I had low expectations after the rain, but almost all main face runs were resurfaced with enough mm snow to make conditions enjoyable. The more the snow got skied in, the better the traction.

Both North Face trails were very very scratchy, especially Chute, but skiable.

icecoast1

I think the big difference is Peak Resorts didn’t know how to run their system correct. Vail and the current management know much better then the scrubs that used to be there

Not sure vail knows how to run their east coast resorts either. The people on the ground actually running the system likely figured out how to best use it. Purely coincidence that it happened with Vail

Newpylong

His hard on against the Boyds is clouding his vision.

The people on the ground under Peak knew how to use it just fine, they built it. There were many evenings with 300 guns running at once. I am sure Dr Jeff can corroborate that snowmaking was quite impressive post West Lake under their ownership.

icecoast1

The people on the ground under Peak knew how to use it just fine, they built it. There were many evenings with 300 guns running at once. I am sure Dr Jeff can corroborate that snowmaking was quite impressive post West Lake under their ownership.

The difference pre/post west lake was certainly noticeable to me early on in the Peak days. If anything, they seemed a bit more aggressive with it than Vail has been so far

drjeff

The difference pre/post west lake was certainly noticeable to me early on in the Peak days. If anything, they seemed a bit more aggressive with it than Vail has been so far
Not sure if it's a case of being more aggressive with one owner or the other or the case of having a couple of seasons of efficiency data and knowledge of how to efficiently make the most amount of snow at specific costs that they have learned.

Both under Peak and now Vail, they have had that system cranking

FBGM

Yeah them and their homies can all eat a bag of dicks

Newpylong

Now thats a lift. I forgot how close the south side of the hotel is. Could that be an easier shlep for some people staying there than going to the Main Base?

chuckstah

The lift looks great. It was running off and on all day at various speeds. They were pushing snow around the base terminal, but it's pretty barren near the summit terminal. Probably not tomorrow, but soon. If the crowd is anything like today (maybe a couple hundred) they won't need the capacity.

SLyardsale

Probably not tomorrow, but soon. If the crowd is anything like today (maybe a couple hundred) they won't need the capacity.
ever heard of a soft opening? tomorrow works better than saturday . come saturday, they will have resurfaced coopers once already

chuckstah

ever heard of a soft opening? tomorrow works better than saturday . come saturday, they will have resurfaced coopers once already
Yes, I have. Could happen if they make, find enough snow for the unload. But I'd think Saturday.

drjeff

Now thats a lift. I forgot how close the south side of the hotel is. Could that be an easier shlep for some people staying there than going to the Main Base?
Probably depends on which side of the Grand Summit one's room is on. The reality is the ski check for guests of the hotel is in the middle of the building slope side. It likely is a little less labor intensive to get to the new Sundance lift than over to the main base area lifts. Time will tell

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Why do they still insist on numbering their lifts? To top it off, its based off a numbering system that included Haystack's lifts, so with those out of the picture (for the past 10+ years), the #s don't make sense.

drjeff

Why do they still insist on numbering their lifts? To top it off, its based off a numbering system that included Haystack's lifts, so with those out of the picture (for the past 10+ years), the #s don't make sense.
Ultimately the lift numbering is what the mountain uses via radio when response to a lift for maintenance or patrol is needed. And with some of Mount Snow's lifts (Sunbrook and Sundance in particular) sounding very similar, let alone if there;'s a call to patrol for someone on say the Snowdance trail, there's much less likely a chance that the place to respond to won't be confused, especially when some of those responding may be outside in the wind with a hemlet on when the call is made, if they call out say lift 7 (Sundance) or Lift 19 (Sunbrook) or a patrol sled to the Snowdance trail.

Ultimately the general public refers to most lifts by it's verbal name, some of the regulars will refer to a lift by either it's regular or numeric names, and the ops folks refer to the lift, especially when on the mountain's radio channel, by it's numeric name

urungus

Doesn’t every mountain do this ?