• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 21-22 Season

SLyardsale

nice spring bumps around the mt today. fallen timbers bumped up. challenger very good. the steeper sections of big dipper. overbrook skiing as good as can be. uncles is worn out - too much traffic and they groomed it soon after the storm. woods sections best its been in some time. and of course bear trap.

big dip
IMG_3203.jpg

ThatGuy

What do we think the chance is of most of the mountain being on windhold Wednesday?

RH29

What do we think the chance is of most of the mountain being on windhold Wednesday?
I don't think it'll be too bad, Hopefully even if they lose Bluebird, the new Sundance lift can run along with Canyon and North Face.

icecoast1

50/50. If the reports on the internet of all the staff cutbacks are true, i'd be more worried about lifts being able to get deiced and opened. It's not like they were ever great about that in the past. I'd go to magic if it were me or if I had an IKON pass, Stratton over Mount Snow Wednesday

ThatGuy

50/50. If the reports on the internet of all the staff cutbacks are true, i'd be more worried about lifts being able to get deiced and opened. It's not like they were ever great about that in the past. I'd go to magic if it were me or if I had an IKON pass, Stratton over Mount Snow Wednesday
Yeah thats kind of my thinking. Might just go to Magic but I’m sure the lines will be insane there. Tomorrow will be a litmus test for how they’re handling things if it looks like a shitshow I’ll go somewhere else.

RH29

I don't think ice is an issue with this one, but if they get more than two feet of snow it might take some work to get the non-base lifts going.

ThatGuy

Yeah ice won’t be an issue but the copious amounts of snow coupled with the lack of staff makes me worry…I remember 2020 that huge December storm Okemo had issues cause of so much snow but Magic was fine.

RH29

Yeah ice won’t be an issue but the copious amounts of snow coupled with the lack of staff makes me worry…I remember 2020 that huge December storm Okemo had issues cause of so much snow but Magic was fine.
The majority of snow will have fallen by Tuesday afternoon, so it won't be a situation where they wake up to 2' of snow...probably more like 6" after Tuesday at 4.

ThatGuy

Definitely going to be more than 6” after 4pm on Tuesday. But if they’re running good tomorrow then I suspect Wednesday will be no issue.

drjeff

Anyone trying to get to Mount Snow today for the storm (or many places in Southern VT) be aware that per multiple social media reports, Route 9 from Bennington all the way over to Brattleboro is currently closed due to multiple tractor trailer accidents and Jack knifes, and I also read that a section of 91, just North of Brattleboro, was also closed about 5:30AM for an accident.

Be careful if you're trying to drive in this storm!

drjeff

Or just don't try to drive in it...
Unfortunately, many will......

Wind holds very likely all day as well as the primary low shifts off shore and really intensifies over the Gulf of Maine before pulling away overnight tonight.

Guessing the drift on my back deck up at my condo may end up in the 6 to 8ft range when I get back up there on Friday as my usual rule of thumb is storm total times 2,5 to 3 based on how the wind swirls around my condo unit...

drjeff

The Wilmington Police Department just put out a statement that many roads in the area are currently unpassable due to the combination of many hours of 2"+ snowfall rates and the winds gusting to 40mph or so creating white out condtions. Also reading that Route 9 is closed still towards Bennington for tractor trailers still stuck and towards Brattleboro for both stuck vehicles and trees down on power lines not too far from Hogback mtn, and 9 will likely remain closed per the Vt State Police for many hours until they can catch up with the falling and drifting snow.

Numerous pictures on my social media feed of friends who's places are up in the general Mount Snow base area of storm totals now over 2 feet with likely another foot falling before it's all done

MidnightJester

Going to be deep wild times and for some this is a storm that on some trails it is going to be too deep to go. I did a 24 inch storm few season ago@ MtSnow. Traversing across trails and on flat spots will be very hard or near impossible till it flattens out. Will have to stick to all the steeper stuff. Here come the Moguls unless they groom them out.

Mount Snow should pull 30"+ with 36" at the peak and mountain top are sure possible by tomorrow

Last edited:

drjeff

This is one for the books…
@drjeff what do you think will be running tomorrow? Doubt Bluebird will but hopefully Sundance at least.
Sundance just started spinning today a few minutes ago per the mountains twitter feed, and mountain ops, I think for the 1st time this year, had the cats out pushing snow out of the 1st and last few towers areas of the Bluebird on Sunday night that I noticed while out there yesterday. All depends on how quickly the winds back off overnight after they're supposed to peak before midnight if you believe the mets, and then how bad the drifts that they're likley going to have to push out of the way are

Just had one of my friends, who's place is maybe 100 yards North of Snow Mountain Market on route 100 put a text up in a group chat a bunch of us have, that he thinks based on police/fire siren sounds and the lack of cars moving on 100 that he thinks that 100 itself may be closed currently near the mountain entrances

ThatGuy

Going to to be deep wild times and for some this is a storm that on some trails it is going to be too deep to go. I did a 24 inch storm few season ago. Traversing across trails and on flat spots will be very hard till it flattens out. Will have to stick to all the steeper stuff. Here come the Moguls unless they groom them out
These are my favorite kind of days. Most peoples legs give out after only a few runs, especially once the moguls are formed. The woods will be fresh till the weekend.

drjeff

Wilmington Fire Department posted up within the last hour that they're asking that people stay off the roads for the next few hours to allow the plows to attempt to catch up and give their fire and rescue vehicles a better chance of responding to any calls

drjeff

Not sure of the consistency of the snow at Snow but here in central NH. It is Sierra cement. Skiing in it would not be great.

Heavy, dense, moist, extra moist, are some of the common descriptions my ski friends up there today have been using. Haven't read something like "Utah Blower" yet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: