• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 21-22 Season

ctdubl07

Just talked to an EE on mtn who said he did manage a few face shots on North Face so Id say you might find some drier snow amongst drifts.
Still snowing but wind quickly picking up. Road in Dover is open but as mentioned, difficult to pass. Sundance, Canyon, Challenger and Nitro spinning but wind will pay factor. My deck, which has a solid wall around it, shows 21" fallen and its still actively snowing...

drjeff

One of my condo complex neighbors just posted this in our associations FB group page. Almost 35" and still snowing at a good clip and will be for hours. Saw a similar yard stick picture just posted up in the Mount Snow Passholders FB group a few minutes ago with about that same amount. 4 feet might be in play by the time it's all done tomorrow!FB_IMG_1678820585604.jpg

ThatGuy

Tough call for me Mt. Snow or Magic. I think Snows elevation advantage will make for better snow quality.

drjeff

Tough call for me Mt. Snow or Magic. I think Snows elevation advantage will make for better snow quality.
Definitely going to be some windblown/wind slab and drfting issues to factor in to the equation. My condo complex across 100 from the mountain just sent out an email saying that they have now measured over 3 feet on the property, drifts up to 6 feet in numerous places, and they are advising that due to hazardous condtions that any owner not up there right now, who was thinking about heading up tonight probably shouldn't, or if they do, keep the gas tank in your vehicle as full as possible, have blankets, water and food with you and bring a shovel.

Even early tomorrow in the entire Berkshire East to to Magic corridor is likely going to have significant travel issues, potentially power issues, wind issues and potentially delayed opening issues as well. Considering when I left my condo just over 24hrs ago maybe an inch had fallen, 3 feet in 24hrs and more on the way isn't easy to deal with. Kind of approaching some of the 24 hour amounts that Tahoe has been getting regularly lately that have caused operational issues out there with each new storm cycle

MidnightJester

If you make it anywhere in South Vermont figure on riding through nearly a yard of snow if you get any early tracks in ungroomed terrain. Mount Snow says they are over 36" of snow now : )~ Ohhh my, Be thankful to the groomers for opening tomorrows trails.

drjeff

Seeing a bunch of 42" measuring stake photos in the general Mount Snow base area the last hour or so on my social media feeds. Still snowing with a decent radar band seemingly stationary over the area. Lots of folks looking for plowing companies that have front end loaders or backhoes as pickup trucks with plows on them are having a difficult time and even getting stuck in driveways.

Going to be a multi day clean-up with this storm.

Given the snow density guessing there's around 5" of water equivalent in it

ThatGuy

I live ~20 miles west of the mountain and it hasn’t let up yet. Going to make the call whether Magic or Snow when I get to the intersection of 7 and 279.

drjeff

That’s a lot of snow for a place with not a lot of steep
Northface apparently starting the day on wind hold as well with summit gusts forcasted in the 50-55mph range.

Let alone some of the difficult travel conditons I am still reading about in various local community online groups

drjeff

Reading now from a local FB group that there's a tractor trailer stuck in the uphill/downhill section of route 100 between the North and South entrances as well as multiple cars off the side of the North access road and the roads are snow covered and slick as about as fast as the plows clear them, the wind is drifting things back in.

Be careful if anyone is trying to get to the mountain today, You don't want to end up waiting for a wrecker to pull your vehicle out of a snowbank

ThatGuy

Its rough out there. Lots of people who don’t know how to drive in the snow. Made it into Carinthia right before a huge pileup. Rt100 is a mess Rt9 even worse… if you aren’t a very competent snow driver with fresh snow tires its a good day to sit out. The snow will still be here.

NYDB

Its rough out there. Lots of people who don’t know how to drive in the snow. Made it into Carinthia right before a huge pileup. Rt100 is a mess Rt9 even worse… if you aren’t a very competent snow driver with fresh snow tires its a good day to sit out. The snow will still be here.
so how did it turn out? northface open?

ThatGuy

so how did it turn out? northface open?
No Northface but everything else was in play…
Best day of the season by far. Deepest snow I’ve been in. The snow was a perfect combo of supporting/powdery. Did a half groom on alot of trails which helped the flats. Woods were sick if you knew the lines well enough to keep some speed. Ski patrol was on a roll too, almost got my pass pulled for nothing. Finished the day with 25 runs of powder.
A45DB876-7CEE-485B-8C85-547E2F89CA8F.jpeg
238136A6-2C6C-450D-9B1F-806D12832C5A.jpeg6A21ED16-1D94-4D40-A31F-9908D955C404.jpeg

ThatGuy

Ski patrol was on one today though…first three of them spent upwards of an hour roping off the top of Sundance liftline, as everyone went right by them and skied it anyway. Then they did the same thing at the bottom of Sundance…asked why. Patroller goes “people were catching air and thats no good”.
I see Sunbrook running from the hill and the twitter says it open so I ask a patroller at the top why its still roped off, he tells me I can go there just don’t go to North Face. Take an amazing run of first tracks to the lift, lift ops guy confused goes “how did you get here” tell him the situation he was cool and told me hop right on the lift. Get to the top and another patroller starts flipping out saying hes going to pull my pass for sneaking over there... At this point more people are being let into Sunbrook and I just skied away from him. Quite an experience.

jaytrem

I get the upper Sundance (Shootout) thing, the construction stuff below the snow could no doubt be a liability.

The rest sounds one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing nonsense. I once had a MS patroller wait for me at the top because I was skiing a "closed trail" at the bottom of the GSE. He was very unprofessional, apparently because I smiled at him while being stuck in the powder, I guess he thought I said something too. Anyway, the trail was not closed and I invited him to take a run with me to check it out. Argument ensued and eventually he took off saying "I don't have time for this". Most of the patrollers there are pretty cool, but as with everything you always get a few morons.

ThatGuy

Yeah theres definitely mostly cool patrollers and a few power trippers.
As to the Shootout thing, I’m aware of the construction stuff but its so deep at this point its not an issue imo. People have been ducking it all season so if its that serious they need to make that more apparent then a rope. And the rope across the bumps at the bottom is nonsense. Amazing day out there either way and didn’t have to wait in line at all as a single (besides one BB ride that took 30 mins).
Tomorrow will be great too with first tracks on North Face incoming. Expecting a larger crowd though since the roads are clear now.

SLyardsale

no worm for early bird today. if you waited, you were rewarded with lite crowd and fast spring snow. sun helped sunbrook first - it never helped northface - the facebook hippies were pissed off though - so impatient . very good day for me.

RH29

no worm for early bird today. if you waited, you were rewarded with lite crowd and fast spring snow. sun helped sunbrook first - it never helped northface - the facebook hippies were pissed off though - so impatient . very good day for me.
I was also at Mount Snow yesterday. The Carinthia build seemed super weak compared to years past. Killington definitely has them beat.

I'm glad I decided to show up late. Nothing skied all that great yesterday but nothing was truly bad except for some sections of North Face. Nitro glade actually skied pretty well for the day after a thaw-freeze. Lines not bad at all, except Bluebird. Why people wait 20 minutes for that when Grand Summit was running at the same speed with a 5 minute line is beyond me. I skied until close and got last chair at Carinthia (props to them for letting us in at 3:59)

FBGM

I was also at Mount Snow yesterday. The Carinthia build seemed super weak compared to years past. Killington definitely has them beat.

I'm glad I decided to show up late. Nothing skied all that great yesterday but nothing was truly bad except for some sections of North Face. Nitro glade actually skied pretty well for the day after a thaw-freeze. Lines not bad at all, except Bluebird. Why people wait 20 minutes for that when Grand Summit was running at the same speed with a 5 minute line is beyond me. I skied until close and got last chair at Carinthia (props to them for letting us in at 3:59)

Vail has always cut parks to an extent during acquisitions. And Mt Slow had wayyyy to big and much parks. Overdid it for years. 2 trails over at Carinthia is totally fine

skiur

Well they certainly aren't trying to compete with them, and superstar is really looking kinda weak too, though they are making snow on it right now.