• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mts. Flume and Liberty - Flume Slide Trail - 7/12/2008

Jonni

Date Hiked: 7/12/2008

Trail(s) Hiked: Franconia Notch Bike Path, Liberty Spring Trail, Flume Slide Trail, Franconia Ridge Trail, Liberty Spring Trail, Franconia Notch Bike Path.

Hike Number: 7

Total Distance Traveled: 10.3 Miles

Difficulty: Difficult to Very Difficult

Conditions: Good

Special Equipment Required: None, but as usual trekking poles are a good idea.

Trip Report: Nearing the end of the week I decided that I needed a good long hike to start my weekend out, and realizing that my parking permit for all WMNF parking areas had expired June 30th, I decided on doing a hike in an NH state park. Over the past week I have been looking at many different 4Kers that I've wanted to hit and it was down to either the Hancocks or Mts. Flume and Liberty. The parking permit thing sealed this hike's fate, and I found myself at the trailhead shortly after 8am on Saturday morning.

Looking at the maps and reading a few TR's from the past I decided to start from the Basin parking area and follow the bike path to the trail rather than searching for the bushwack to the sharp corner in the Liberty Spring Trail. I didn't feel really comfortable looking for this bushwack yet, as I have never bushwacked anywhere at all, and I felt the additional exercise would be beneficial. From the Basin I reached the real trailhead in about 15 minutes and found myself up at the junction with the Flume Slide Trail in another 20 minutes or so after climbing easy to moderate grades on the well beaten path. I met a few other people on the trail up to this point and after talking with them, it sounded as if the Flume Slide itself was going to be an interesting hike. And it was.

The first 2.3 miles or so of the Flume Slide trail is kind of long and flat, but there are many small brook crossings, which make the trail quite interesting. But for the last 0.7 or 0.8 miles or so, the trail travels up the very steep Flume Slide, gaining about 1200 feet of vertical in this final 0.7 miles. From traveling next to the remnants of a brook the trail gets steadily steeper until actually begins the ascent up the slide where it composed of many steep ledges and rocks. As challenging as it was, it made gaining the summit of Flume that much more rewarding, and seeing the Franconia Ridge trail sign almost a gift from the heavens.

The sun was shining on the summit of Flume and the clouds were just high enough and with the fantastic rocky cliff that makes up the summit views were had in all directions. Snacking on some peanuts and crackers, I began the quick trek over to neighboring Mt. Liberty on the Franconia Ridge Trail. Over a somewhat rocky path, the 1.5 miles between the two mountains went pretty quickly, although the slight ascent made to Mt. Liberty was semi tiring due to the punishment that my legs had already received climbing the Flume Slide. Mt. Liberty, being higher was unfortunately in and out of the clouds so the views were quite a bit more limited. Although with the amount of people that were on the summit (about 15 or 20) I could only imagine what the crowds were like on the summit of Lafayette.

After spending only about 10 minutes or so on the summit of Liberty I began to make my descent to the Liberty Spring Trail. I found that the descent was quite pleasurable down the moderate and rocky Liberty Spring Trail and it seemed to go quite fast, especially after listening to an eclectic mix of the Dropkick Murphys, Moby, Phontaine, and Rob Thomas (I will listen to most anything). Getting back to the sharp corner in the Liberty Spring trail I paused and thought about attempting a bushwack back to the Basin parking lot, but then decided against it. I felt a little more exercise would do me good.

Overall it was a great hike. The slide was very challenging, but very rewarding. This brings my modest total of NH 4Kers to 12. I'm hoping to hit perhaps the Hancocks next or maybe make an attempt at the Tripyramids, not sure yet.

Overall hike time was 6.75 hours with 15 minutes on Flume and 10 on Liberty. Pictures to follow.

Pictures:

Liberty Spring Trail, trailhead on the Franconia Notch Bike Path
flumeLib1.jpg

Starting up the Flume Slide
flumeLib2.jpg

Looking down the Flume Slide, this picture was taken with the camera pointing straight down.
flumeLib3.jpg

Looking toward a ledge near the Flume summit (the real summit is around the corner)
flumeLib4.jpg

The Franconia Range from just below Flume's summit. From left to right: Little Haystack Mountain, Mt. Lincoln, Mt. Lafayette.
flumeLib5.jpg

Owls Head from Mt. Liberty
flumeLib6.jpg

Benchmark on Mt. Liberty
flumeLib7.jpg

Mt. Flume from Mt. Liberty
flumeLib8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Mmm ... nice! The Flume summit is a really neat spot, I'm glad the clouds spared it for you! Beautiful pictures, too.

I threw a "camera" icon on your post just so that people with slow connections know about the inline photos.

LongStep

nice trip report. Ill be honest I really want to hike in the notch but Im slightly intimidated by the slide. I dont think I have hiked anything like it and im not sure what to expect. How hard would you say it was? Did it compare with any other trail on your hike? Nice pictures as well.

Last edited:

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Good stuff! I was on Little Haystack/Lincoln/Truman/Lafayette that morning - I left just before the crowds reached the summits, fortunately, but the >5000k peaks were mostly in the clouds up there.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Flume slide is similar (but a little easier IMO) then the North Tripyramid slide and about comparable to Madison Gulf headwall. There's a few places where you have to trust your boots, and a few places where you'll be scrambling, but for the most part it's just hard work.

Still, it's best to avoid it in wet weather until you've had a chance to check it out in dry weather.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nice TR and pics. This is a great hike and it is very, very underrated because of its neighbor(s) just up the ridge. I take it someone is doing their 4,000 footers?

Jonni

Yes, I'm definitely working on my 4,000 footers. It was definitely hard work going up that slide, but it was very very rewarding. As far what Long Step asked about, it didn't really compare too much to the other trails that I hiked that day. The Liberty Spring Trail was tamer as far as steepness goes. It was more of a rocky path than anything else, whereas the Flume Slide was a combination of steep ledges and rocks. Still very enjoyable regardless of difficulty, and there was definitely an adequate reward at the pinnacle of the trek.

Mike P.

Nice report & pictures. I too have taken that picture from Flume Slide & then tried to tell people, it's really steep, the picture does not do it justice. With people in the picture even you have to tell anyonelooking at the picture that they are looking up, not straight ahead.

Mike P.

Nice shots Dave, I think you need people in it to help or just focus close, you can't try & take a picture showing a large section of trail

Long Step, i agree with Dave, pretty similar in steepness & difficulty to North Tripyramid slide. Both trips are not too hard but those sections are the hardest parts. IMO much easier than Huntington Ravine Trail

LongStep

Nice shots Dave, I think you need people in it to help or just focus close, you can't try & take a picture showing a large section of trail

Long Step, i agree with Dave, pretty similar in steepness & difficulty to North Tripyramid slide. Both trips are not too hard but those sections are the hardest parts. IMO much easier than Huntington Ravine Trail

ill give it a few more years before i contemplate something like huntington ravine trail :razz: probably during my mid life crisis heh.

I think depending on the weather this Saterday I may try the flume slide and then see how I feel after I reach the top. If im still feeling ok maybe ill troop on to another peak. Thanks for the tips guys and for your site Dave. Between that and these forums there is a great wealth of knowledge.