• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My Orion birthday TR

drjeff

Date: 11/26/2008

Condtions: 45 and light breeze outside and 68 and calm inside

Equipment/Gear: My Orion, 15lbs of charcoal, hickory chips and a 6.5lb seasoned Perdue Chicken

Report:

I figured that my birthday was as the only excuse I needed to fire up the Orion and for my first whole chicken in it:

The Orion loaded with 15 lbs of Charcoal on my patio

Hickory Chips surrounding the drip pan

The bird seasoned and loaded on the rack

The bird loaded in the Orion

To quote Beavis and Butthead "Fire! Fire!"

Lets get cooking!

Let cook for 75 minutes

My dogs hoping some of the finished product will fall on the floor ;)

The kids plates with dessert in the background

Great end result! The bird was fall off the bone tender and very moist with a delicious hickory smell/flavor! Both kids asked for seconds of the chicken, even knowing that it would delay the amount of time until they had a piece of birthday cake!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Well done drjeff! :beer: 2nds are a sure sign of success. Chickens are a favorite on the Orion over here. We're tired of the damn rotisserie ones from the supermarket. Personally I like to do my chicken with apple chips, but the queen prefers mesquite with a beer poured in the trip pan.

Now about that 12 step program...

drjeff

Did you drink any of the Crown Royal???

The Crown just ended up in the pic. it's actually traveling with me today to my parents house for my Dad's enjoyment with the turkey and all the fixings. A 6 pack of Long Trail Ale's was my liquid enjoyment last night :) :beer:

The Crown just ended up in the pic. it's actually traveling with me today to my parents house for my Dad's enjoyment with the turkey and all the fixings. A 6 pack of Long Trail Ale's was my liquid enjoyment last night :) :beer:

Nice..this Orion reports are great..I'm going to show my Dad and maybe he'll get one..There's no way my apartment will allow one of those on my balconey..since I'm on the 2nd floor and there's a balconey above me..probably a fire hazard..

Geoff

2756545550101867138S600x600Q85.jpg

Preparing for a moon mission? ;)

Apollo+11+-+Saturn+5+Launch+-+800x600.jpg

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Nice stonewall Jeff... I like the authentic looking ones, rather than the ones build by professionals. Looks far more New England to me.

Happy birthday btw... did your wife think it strange at all you taking pictures of your food and whatnot?

BTW, I hope you've eaten those two bananas already, they look like they're close to being banana bread candidates.

:dunce:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Also, Jeff, I've got one of those charcoal chimneys for my Kingsford kettle grill... I highly recommend. Just takes some newspaper to get the coals glowing red hot; maybe 15 minutes. No fossil fuels needed... as big a fan I am of flammable fluids :D

drjeff

Nice stonewall Jeff... I like the authentic looking ones, rather than the ones build by professionals. Looks far more New England to me.

Happy birthday btw... did your wife think it strange at all you taking pictures of your food and whatnot?

BTW, I hope you've eaten those two bananas already, they look like they're close to being banana bread candidates.

:dunce:

Thanks, the stonewall was there when we bought, my wife wanted to make it look more professional, I put my foot down and said au naturel!

Pics of food, well considering that more days than not I'm taking pics of teeth/mouths, food is pretty normal for me ;)

The Bananas, well those "older" ones are just like my almost 3 year old son likes them, so sadly no banana bread was created from them :)