• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Name Brand Gasoline

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
As far as gas stations go, there used to be a number of name brands and a lot of folks had their favorite that they would swear by. Me, I always thought it was all the same. Now, it does all seem to be the same. The name brands, Sunoco, Shell, Exxon, Gulf, Getty are disappearing and others "off brands" are quickly replacing them all. Me, I still just go for the least expensive, how about you?

o3jeff

I always look for the least expensive. I also try to stay away from Exxon/Mobile, which isn't too hard to do since they are usually the highest priced.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
My father used to claim that it's all from the same tanks at the docks anyway. :lol:

I always go for cheapest, which usually is Cumberland Farms around here. Can't afford to do otherwise.

Rushski

They de-regulated gasoline a few years ago, meaning that the brand on the sign may not be the brand of gasoline you are pumping.

Though the big names do seem to get at least preferential treatment if not slight volume discounts by their big name companies. They say that is why some of the mom and pop stations are folding.

drjeff

I tend to use my local Mobil Station(if I'm filling up in CT), for 2 reasons, 1) it actually is the cheapest in my area(90% of the time), and they are the only gas station/convienence store in my area that sells the exact types of snacks that my kids like :rolleyes:

Most of the time though now, I'll drive the 5 miles from my house across the CT border to RI, where there's a Sunoco Station just over the border that's regularly 20 cents a gallon cheaper than in CT(and they have my kids favorite snacks too ;) ). Gotta love the CT gas taxes :mad:

It doesn't matter to me and I also don't go out of my way to save 5 cents a gallon. I'd rather get gas at an expensive station with no line..than a cheap station with 2-3 cars lined up at each pump..

Oh yeah and when I'm on the road..mini-marts and restrooms are huge...What's with gas stations with no bathrooms???? Wiggity Wiggity Wack

bvibert

Staff member
I used to only go to the big name brands, now I mostly just go for the most convenient and cheapest option. I'm not big on driving around looking for the lowest price.

wa-loaf

Cheapest available, which for me is a Hess station. I guess they are a name brand, but a discount one. They're usually 10cents cheaper the than the Sunocco that's next door, although they are full serve. $3.59 yesterday.

wa-loaf

Most of the time though now, I'll drive the 5 miles from my house across the CT border to RI, where there's a Sunoco Station just over the border that's regularly 20 cents a gallon cheaper than in CT(and they have my kids favorite snacks too ;) ). Gotta love the CT gas taxes :mad:

lol and they're probably still 10 cents higher than most in RI.

SkiDork

Does anyone from NJ who drives up Rt 17 toward the Thruway ever stop at the station just before the Thruway that says "GAS"? They seem to have the cheapest prices but not sure if I would trust them...

drjeff

lol and they're probably still 10 cents higher than most in RI.

Actually I've checked it out and they're within 1 or 2 cents of what I see at gas stations in RI when I continue down Route 6 and into the greater Providence area. Fortunately it's on a road (Route 6) where there's quite a bit of traffic that lives in CT and commutes to Providence that if they did the price gouge thing, they'd see enough of a fall off in business in all likelyhood that they don't play that game.

dmc

On the mountaintop(Town of Hunter NY)
The cheapest gas is at the Cumberland Farms and Stewarts...
It's cheaper on the mountain then in the flatlands

dmc

Does anyone from NJ who drives up Rt 17 toward the Thruway ever stop at the station just before the Thruway that says "GAS"? They seem to have the cheapest prices but not sure if I would trust them...

I hit that if i do a quick dip off the Thruway down 17 for gas..

tjf67

CITGO contain no ethanol. I get 2 miles per gallon better. Price is the same

drjeff

CITGO contain no ethanol. I get 2 miles per gallon better. Price is the same

Except at the Citgo stations where in states where the ethanol blend is mandated. Then you'll see that little lovely yellow sticker on the pump that say "contains x% ethanol"

Grassi21

andy, what the hell do you think you are these days? andy rooney? :lol: so much social commentary.