• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nass RAW - 7/28/10

bvibert

Staff member
Met up with Woodcore, Trev, and Stitch and Sammy of BSS fame for a ride out of Scoville tonight. Of course pretty much every other person who rides in a 50 mile radius was there too. We got out before most of them and mostly had the trails to ourselves. I had a great ride, it was fun chasing Stitch and Woodcore through the woods with Sammy right behind me pushing most of the time, even though she kept insisting that I wasn't holding her back. That really made me crank up the pace quite a bit, and it was probably the fastest pace I've set all year. I also continued on my experiment of pushing bigger gears that I'm used to today and cleared at least two hills in the middle ring that I never though I'd be able to do, the high road and the last cemetery climb going backward. I'm really trying to make an effort to stay out of the granny ring up front, and I think it's paying off so far.

I got there a little early, so I went for a quick ride ahead of time. I hit up Jug and once again failed to line up with the skinny bridge. So I walked across and hit it from the other direction, just to give myself the satisfaction of finally rolling that stupid thing this year. Mission accomplished, except for once over it I promptly failed to make the turn on the mini bridge thing on the other side and crashed into the brush instead. :-? From there I finished up the Jug and went across the street to Scoville twisties , I'd heard that the logging effed up the end of that trail again so my plan was to try to make it through Sandy Pelican and ride back on the road. Unfortunately by the time I hit the second bridge on the pelican I was having severe ghost shifting problems, so I stopped to fix it. By the time I was done I didn't want to push my luck making it back to the lot by 6 so I turned back. From there I met up with the crew and saw several other familiar faces getting ready for their own rides. Scoville was as packed as I've seen it in a while.

We headed out and hit Jug>Hinman>Orchard>Sandy Pelican>Scoville twisties>through logging BS>Truck trail>over to sessions>across 69>by pass to bridge>high road>2 bears>Stony hill rd>cemetery>done. All said and done I rolled about 10.5 miles. At one point towards the end of 2 bears I could barely catch my breath, I was really giving it pretty much all I had.

Woodcore was an animal as usual, Stitch can really pedal in addition to being a great technical rider, Sammy was right there pushing me the whole time, and Trev hung with us the whole time, including making some stuff that it either took me a long time to make, or I'm still too chicken to try. The ladder roller thing on the little side trail off of the beginning of Hinman (going north) in particular.

Anyway, sorry about the book, I got on a roll tonight I guess. Now I need to go to bed!

WoodCore

Good rip indeed! It was a little on the hot and humid side but completely bearable compared to the last few weeks. I too was early and got a quick warmup loop through the jug in before everyone arrived which was just the ticket! Nice to stretch a little before putting the hammer down.

Crazy amount of folks out at Scoville yesterday evening probably the second busiest I've seen it this year regardless once out on the trails we ran into only a few other folks. Pretty sure when we rolled into the woods there wasn't a parking spot to be found!

The ride itself was uneventful for the most part, no mechanicals, no injuries, etc. We rode at a nice pace and only stopped briefly at the trail junctions to make sure we didn't lose anyone. Our group was just about the right size (5) and allowed us to roll smoothly around the forest, none the less great riding with everyone last night (Stitch, Sammy, Trev, and Bvibert)!

We got back to the lot around 7:45 and settled into a cold beer and slowly but surely the woods emptied of riders and the post ride impromptu party on Scoville Road was well underway. Nothing crazy mind you but great to drink a few brews with many of my fellow Nassoricans and shoot the shit! Good times!