• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

National Forest Campgrounds closing ahead of the Columbus Day Weekend :(

Bumpsis

http://www.conwaydailysun.com/index.php/newsx/local-news/109376-shutdown-100713

I was really looking forward to some nice camping this coming weekend (Columbus day), but it looks like the idiotic standoff over the new healtcare law (ACA) is also affecting the campgrounds in National Forests, White Mountains NF included.
Many of those were going to stay open through the Columbus Day, but due to the government shutdown, these will close by Thursday.

What a bummer.
I guess I'll still hike but camping is out. If anyone was planning to come up and camp in the WMNF campgrounds, better make other plans.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'd say write your respective representative and senators, but it seems that they just don't get it.....

Bumpsis

I'd say write your respective representative and senators, but it seems that they just don't get it.....

Without veering too far into the political realm here, I can safely say that none of my representatives in the US senate or congresss are in favor of governing by blackmail or obstruction of any current laws, much less, shutting down the government over a law they don't like.
Writing to them would be preaching to the choir.

On a similar tack, I'm wondering if there are ski areas that will be affected by the gov's shut down. Aren't there some ski areas that operate on leased federal land?

Puck it

It is all a bunch of BS from both sides and it is not just one side playing hard ball. Gentleman Politics is long gone like Tip and Ron used to do.

ScottySkis

Both sides don't care about the people they care about their lobbyist companies, end of political rant.

Puck it

Is this not mandatory reading in high school anymore?
%7B5A872100-DDA2-4A65-9029-386127CA8CD4%7DImg100.jpg

Bumpsis

Yup, I'd love to go regardless of the closure, but I'm not set up for a backpacking trip. It's a car camping trip. When the campground is beyond a locked gate, the reality of being rebel does have a bit of different spin on it.
I have some other options lined up already.

Cannonball

Plenty of state parks in the White Mtns that offer excellent car camping, are open, and will gladly take your money. 19 of them in NH and I'm sure there's plenty in VT and ME.