• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need new shell- opinions please

HowieT2

So i ripped open the left sleeve on a tree branch this weekend. Major damage but nit irreperable. The duct tape actually looks good. But after 5 seasons and some 200 days it may be time for something new. The one i have was gore tex soft shell and while it was fine, i didnt love it, and want something that is more durable and wont rip on tree branches.
so i think i should get a gore tx pro 3 layer shell. My problem is, i prefer a detachable hood since i never use one, and i cant find a 3 layer shell with a hood that comes off.

wa-loaf

So i ripped open the left sleeve on a tree branch this weekend. Major damage but nit irreperable. The duct tape actually looks good. But after 5 seasons and some 200 days it may be time for something new. The one i have was gore tex soft shell and while it was fine, i didnt love it, and want something that is more durable and wont rip on tree branches.
so i think i should get a gore tx pro 3 layer shell. My problem is, i prefer a detachable hood since i never use one, and i cant find a 3 layer shell with a hood that comes off.

My Cloudveil RPK parka has a zip-off hood. It's Goretex soft-shell material that's pretty rugged.

HowieT2

My Cloudveil RPK parka has a zip-off hood. It's Goretex soft-shell material that's pretty rugged.

Thats what i have now. DOnt think theyre being made anymore, plus i think i would like something more durable. This is the 2nd time its ripped from a tree branch. Furthermore the back is getting fuzzy from the backpack rubbing it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Zip-off Hood really a deal breaker? That's going to limit your options a lot and it sounds like durability is a bigger priority anyways. I never use a hood while skiing, but it doesn't seem to bother me being back there not in use. I definitely appreciate having it on my Flylow shell though in normal wear as a rain coat. Flylow doesn't offer any Goretex products, but I've found my shell to be very dry, breathable and rugged enough.

HowieT2

Zip-off Hood really a deal breaker? That's going to limit your options a lot and it sounds like durability is a bigger priority anyways. I never use a hood while skiing, but it doesn't seem to bother me being back there not in use. I definitely appreciate having it on my Flylow shell though in normal wear as a rain coat. Flylow doesn't offer any Goretex products, but I've found my shell to be very dry, breathable and rugged enough.

Its high on the wish list, but i homestly havent found one yet. Just looked through the arcteryx site and i dint think they make any.

gmcunni

i've had very good luck with north face shells. light weight but with the right base layer i can wear it down to 20 or so. wish for more pockets tho.

Savemeasammy

I have a Karbon jacket. Although it's not a shell, it is pretty lightweight. It does have a zip off hood that spends most of it's time in my ski bag. Maybe they have shells also?

wa-loaf

Thats what i have now. DOnt think theyre being made anymore, plus i think i would like something more durable. This is the 2nd time its ripped from a tree branch. Furthermore the back is getting fuzzy from the backpack rubbing it.

I'm surprised. It seems like pretty tough material. Mine is holding up well, but I only have 2 seasons on it.

snowmonster

I recommend the LL Bean Ascent Gore Tex Pro Shell. I've had mine for about five season. Been skiing in woods and shrubs in that thing and it's been snagged on tree limbs and twigs without a scratc. Great water-proofiness too with excellent venting. The hood does not detach but you won't even know it's there. It's almost a non-issue for me. Besides, a zipper line of buttons in the hood area will mean more seams through which water can pass. This will defeat the water-tight purpose of the jacket. LL Bean model comes much cheaper than comparable models and does the very well. It's also on sale now.

bigbog

HT2,
Fwiw...if the hood on something that fits you well can be(but isn't designed to) rolled up to join the collar without being a mess....those self-attach kits for the snap-buttons can put those snap-buttons anywhere. Take time to measure accurately to give yourself a good join....and put on join-area in hood and in collars...(and if you don't want the little collar half of snap-button exposed you can cut sewing on edge of collar and put the snap-button inside collar..just add some material inside so the snap-button has a little more material than the shell material....to form a secure footing, just the shell material seems a little thin for a secure snap-on that'll hold for the life of the jacket.
OR
Take the desired shell jacket to tailor and have them separate hood from jacket and add in a zipper. Seems like not to tough a task...tailors have the machine which makes it clean.(<-- not intended as a commercial..LOL)
Although...with added proof from responses, I think your favorite shell without a hood IS out there....

$.01

Last edited:

SIKSKIER

I have 3 arcteryx and hardly ever use the hood while actually skiing.Never bothers me at all.I'm sure any tailor could install a zipper pretty easy.

Last edited: