• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Info on Waterville Valley Expansion

rockisland

Green Peak Expansion and Trail Construction at Waterville Valley Ski Resort
EA

*NEW LISTING* - Recreation management
- Special use management Developing Proposal
Est. Scoping Start 10/2011 Expected:08/2012 11/2012 Sarah LaPlante
603-536-6237
slaplante@fs.fed.us
Description: Construct ski trails, a glade area, a lift, and snowmaking equipment and relocate one building on Green Peak. All activities are within the Special Use Permit boundary and the ski area's accepted Master Development Plan.
Location: UNIT - Pemigewasset Ranger District. STATE - New Hampshire. COUNTY - Grafton. Green Peak Waterville Valley Ski Area, Town of Waterville Valley.

Trails 19a and 23/23a at Waterville Valley Ski Resort
CE

*NEW LISTING* - Recreation management
- Special use management Developing Proposal
Est. Scoping Start 12/2011 Expected:04/2012 05/2012 Thomas Paquette
802-767-4261 x 521
tpaquette@fs.fed.us
Description: Construct Trails 19a and 23/23a, which were included in the 1999 accepted Master Development Plan. The trails, on Mt. Tecumseh, would connect existing Trails 21 and 10.
Location: UNIT - Pemigewasset Ranger District. STATE - New Hampshire. COUNTY - Grafton. LEGAL - Waterville Valley, NH. Waterville Valley Ski Resort.

http://www.fs.fed.us/sopa/components/reports/sopa-110922-2011-10.html

Gnarcissaro

I assumed it was referencing XC trails since they didn't provide names. Could be a bad assumption, though.

That would make sense, didn't think of XC.

Edit: After digging a little bit. As I see it looking at this map, they number junctions not individual trails. Maybe they do just not on the maps? So the question remains, I guess.

Last edited:

bigbob

Why would XC need a lift on Green Mnt?? And trails on Mnt T??

Puck it

Click the link above. There are two work issues related to WV. The OP was referencing Green Mountain. Gnarcissaro referenced a second WV project specifically on Tecumseh.

There are actually three. The third is widening trails to meet FIS Super G requirements.

Mapnut

Great, that's what I've been saying for years they should do, add more easy terrain. About 1,000 vertical feet, should get a high-speed quad. But it's not the big expansion on Green Mountain to the west. (3536') Click on Figure 2. Thanks for the link, Rockisland.

Angus

That seems nice - on my one trip there, the mountain seemed "skinny." From my memory, not sure how much pitch there is over on that side.

Mapnut

That lift would measure 4,400 feet long with 1,000 feet vertical, a 4.4 ratio or a 23% grade. Straight down would be easy intermediate; the trails wrapping around to meet Valley Run would be moderate novice, same as Valley Run. They show a couple of short runs dropping north down the ridge that could be fairly tough.

From the Scoping Information link: "The proposed expansion would increase beginner and intermediate terrain, and offer a more gradual continuum of terrain challenges at the resort." Exactly what I thought they need.

As Telemechanic spotted first, it will be a detachable quad.

Last edited:

Telemechanic

So it seems WVV has three projects in the USFS permitting process this winter. All are in the scoping & public comment phase.

1. Three new trails on the existing area from plans dating back to 1999. The scoping report was released this month, a decision is expected 4/2012 with possible implementation 5/2012.

2. Bring the existing super G course up to FIS & USSA specs with the hopes of bringing World Cup Races back to WVV. The scoping report was released 10/2011, a decision is expected 3/2012 with possible implementation in 8/2012

http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/1155...ai.com/11558/www/nepa/80334_FSPLT2_062483.pdf

3. Expansion on Green Mountain with new trails and a detachable grip lift. The scoping report was released 10/2011, a decision is expected 8/2012 with possible implementation in 11/2012.

http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/1155...ai.com/11558/www/nepa/80857_FSPLT2_069658.pdf

I believe the public comment period is 90 days from the release of the Scoping Report. Possible Implementation probably means the date the USFS permit will be ready. When WV plans to actually start these projects is unknown.

Smellytele

Battle royal again between DHS and 3c?

He actually said the town not the private corp. Not sure why the town would want this because I think the "Village" is owned by the corp as well but I could be mistaken.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Why is a privately run business seeking federal funds to improve it's infrastructure?

The town of Waterville Valley applied for the Federal grant, presumably on the grounds that it would benefit businesses downtown by being connected to the ski area. If the cost of the project ended up larger than the funds approved, the ski area would cover the difference. If approved, the ski area would take over the lift and pay to operate it. Right or wrong, this is how some things have been handled by the town of Waterville Valley (the town and the ski area both contributing to jointly beneficial projects).

The background on this is that the town Waterville Valley was nearly abolished prior to the ski area being built, and that the ski area was originally supposed to be connected to the town, but the assasination of Robert Kennedy may have contributed to the end of those plans (being that he was key in getting Federal permits and loans for the original project in the 1960s).

UVSHTSTRM

The town of Waterville Valley applied for the Federal grant, presumably on the grounds that it would benefit businesses downtown by being connected to the ski area. If the cost of the project ended up larger than the funds approved, the ski area would cover the difference. If approved, the ski area would take over the lift and pay to operate it. Right or wrong, this is how some things have been handled by the town of Waterville Valley (the town and the ski area both contributing to jointly beneficial projects).

The background on this is that the town Waterville Valley was nearly abolished prior to the ski area being built, and that the ski area was originally supposed to be connected to the town, but the assasination of Robert Kennedy may have contributed to the end of those plans (being that he was key in getting Federal permits and loans for the original project in the 1960s).

I always wondered why they didn't have a gondola to the village, seem to make sense for both the village and the ski area. Also is it possible to make a trail to the village for return, or would they depend on the gondola for this? My most important question is, is it still legal to drink in public in the town of Waterville Valley?