• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Years Eve plans????

What is everybody up to for New Years eve??? I have no plans..I was origionally go to go up to Vermont but I don't want to pay Holiday rates for bad conditions. It looks like it will be a pretty normal night but I want to cook something steezy. Who knows..maybe I'll get a last minute call about a bar crawl or party but I really hate the NYE amateur night mob scene.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Dinner at Huntley Tavern with my wife. My brother who lives in South Jersey has a gig in Montclair, but will be done playing around 10, so he's going to come over for some deserts and watch the ball drop.

I stopped drinking on NYE years ago, too many amateurs out there. Jan 1 we might hit up Blue, if I can talk the wife into it.

dmc

Settling in for an epic jam at the Hunter baselodge...

We start at 4PM and end around 10... With fireworks and tourchlight parade mixed in...

Geoff

Private party. On foot.

The Access Road New Years Eve scene is a disaster. $60.00 cover charge and it's still an expensive cash bar with weak drinks. If you have a season pass, I guess you can get into the Wobbly Barn for a mere $40.00. It's $90.00 at places like the Grand Summit ballroom that serve food. You then get to run the Vermont State Police roadblock gauntlet at midnight or wait until dawn for a taxi.

drjeff

Make my way upto Vermont (going to decide tommorrow based on the snow if I go up straight from work, or wait until dinner time after the storm is done). Then likely once I get up there with the family, just pop open a few beers :beer: and dowhat I usually do most New Years Eve's, which is fall asleep by 10:30 :rolleyes: ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Working all day, bar tending at night. Probably leave the house at 9AM and not get home until 3AM. I'll be spent for sure, but will have the next four days off and will be skiing at least two of those days. Outside of a handful of times in the past fifteen years, I've always worked NYE.

frozencorn

Wife's family is in town all week. Three kids in the house. All week. So, yeah. Nothing.

Mildcat

Get to bed early so I can get up early to ski. Probably Cannon but I'm not sure yet.

noski

At last count, 17 of us will get together for standing rib roast (that was a $100 hunk of meat we bought at Costco!) and twice baked potatoes. Apps, sides, desserts will be brought/potluck and 12 of us will begin our regular Wednesday evening card game. The non card-playing spouses will hang out and drink wine and munch. Champagne will flow and we should all be home by 10:30. We skipped cards on Christmas Eve, but not on New Years!

Warp Daddy

Family is still here------------ so party @ the hacienda,

will prolly collapse in front of the fireplace after several toddies, then drag my ass off to bed after the damn ball drops :D

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
My 2 sisters-in-law and their husbands (and 1 baby) are coming over. We'll eat lots of food I'm making, play Wii, drink, and be merry...and we won't have to leave the house with the 2 kids or drive, so it's even better! :D I don't mind making all the food to ensure we don't have to drive anywhere tomorrow night.

Dr Skimeister

We're doing what we've traditionally done for the last bunch of years-nice family dinner home (still deciding on sushi or ravioli/sausage) with a good bottle of wine or saki, play some games with the older kids, then click the tube on as '09 approaches.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
gota run into the city to drop off some equipment. then take the care home shower the jump on the train back into the city. they are doing check points everywhere tomorrow so im not driving anywhere. im just going to a limo pick me up to take me home. o and i am dj a nutty party so ill post lotsa pics when i finally get up

Chris I

working!

Monay Hungray.

and nothing else better to do. GSS stay in and be the first to post drunk in 09

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
Picking up a couple big ole lobsters and some crab cakes from the local seafood place. Once the kids go to bed, my wife and I will cook them up and drink some wine. Probably sleeping before midnight.

WJenness

Girlfriend's friend's family owns a house on Governor's Island (Lake Winnipesaukee), heading up there when I get out of work today.

Should be fun... hopefully this cold doesn't kill the party for me.

-w

wa-loaf

Party at my friends house. Everyone is crashing at the house to so no need to drive anywhere after. Just pass out on a spare bed or couch.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Some traditional food stuff:
http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/holidays/newyearsday/luckyfoods

What Not to Eat

In addition to the aforementioned lucky foods, there are also a few to avoid. Lobster, for instance, is a bad idea because they move backwards and could therefore lead to setbacks. Chicken is also discouraged because the bird scratches backwards, which could cause regret or dwelling on the past. Another theory warns against eating any winged fowl because good luck could fly away.