• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NFL Pigskin Prognostication

ChileMass

Looking into the weekend crystal ball I see:

Seattle at Chicago: too much Bears defense. Despite Rex Grossman and a mediocre offense overall, Seattle just doesn't have what it takes to advance and Uhrlacher and his teammates will shut down the Seahawks' running game. Da pick - da Bears: 24-14.

Philly at NO: this one won't be close. The Eagles had a good run against sub-par competition, but when it's time to play a real team (as much as is possible in the NFC) like the rested Saints, it's all over. Jeff Garcia will be Donovan's backup again next year. Drew Brees and Reggie Bush cruise: 34-13.

Indy at Baltimore: this will be a war. Peyton and the Colts throw the kitchen sink at the Raven's defense, so who will break first? I say the Colts offensive power and newly-found defense give them just enough to squeak out a close road win: 23-21.

New England at San Diego: this is the ultimate "In Bill We Trust" game. If Obi-Wan Belichick comes up with a game plan that confuses Philip Rivers, the Pats D can concentrate on containing Tomlinson and they could win a close one. But if Rivers stands in the pocket, weathers the inevitable blitzes, and establishes any sort of passing attack, it will free up LT to run wild and the Chargers could win going away. The Pats have been playing well and playing well on the road, so I don't want to sell them short, but SD may be too much for even the Pats to pull off another miracle. Chargers 24, Pats 20.

Paul

I don't think you're giving the Iggles enough credit. In their last meeting, The Birds lost by 3 due to 2 stupid penalties costing them their final drive. They were able to rally for 17 4thQ points to tie it up, then surrendered an 8 min. NO drive ending with a FG. WEre it not for the 2 penalties, the Iggs would've at least taken it to OT. This was in the Superdome, without Stallworth and Sheppard, while the fat man was still calling the plays. McNabb was on his way to having a career season (before injury) but his receivers were'nt playing as well as now, and the primary targets were Brown , Baskett and Avant. 1 2nd yr, 2 rookies. Also, the D was beginning their slide that cost them the middle of the season. The D is playing MUCH better now than then, even with Lito out, Hood is back (he was shaky for that game) and Billy Jim is at 100%. The run D has improved by quite a bit since then, and Dawkins is playing like he's posessed. Stallworth is back giving Garcia 2 legit targets with him and Brown, and Schoebel is starting to step-up. And let's not forget about Westbrook. More importantly, the Iggs O-line is the best one left in the NFC, and as long as the O can keep drives alive, should be able to wear down NOs light, fast D-line (well, light and fast except for Hollis)

I think the Iggs, with their playoff experience, should be able to get past NO this time, they have identical records, and are pretty close statistically. It will be a close game though.

PHI 27 NO 24

I agree with the rest of your post, though, Bill...;-)

Last edited:

ChileMass

Sorry, Paul - the Iggles are out of gas and Jeff Garcia has reached into the bag of tricks for the last time. The Saints ain't the Giants. As a lifelong Eagles hater, I take pride in standing by my earlier prediction.....34-13, New Orleans.

Paul

Sorry, Paul - the Iggles are out of gas and Jeff Garcia has reached into the bag of tricks for the last time. The Saints ain't the Giants. As a lifelong Eagles hater, I take pride in standing by my earlier prediction.....34-13, New Orleans.

Its okay, Bill, you're just nuts, and a hater. :razz:

Not guaranteeing a W here, but I think it'll be a lot closer than you think.

ChileMass

Its okay, Bill, you're just nuts, and a hater. :razz:

Not guaranteeing a W here, but I think it'll be a lot closer than you think.

Yup - a certified Eagles hater since the Miracle of the Meadowlands in 1978. If they win, I'll buy you a cheesesteak and a Yuengling........
:beer:

Paul

Yup - a certified Eagles hater since the Miracle of the Meadowlands in 1978. If they win, I'll buy you a cheesesteak and a Yuengling........
:beer:

Niiiiiice. don't see too many who know the importance of Yuengling.
...and the Wiz wit'

Since I'm not as confident in my prediction, hmmmm... what do you get the New Yawk fan in chowdah land?
A slice and a Narragansett? :lol:

ChileMass

Check it out - the Chargers are limiting ticket sales to residents of southern CA and San Diego only. They will not honor any ticket sales to anyone with a billing/shipping address outside their home area! What losers! That sucks. I saw a lot of Pats fans on TV last week that were absolutely going to San Diego for the game, and now they can't unless they can buy a ticket locally or thru a scalper. Ridiculous. I think they're afraid of us.....

http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2007/01/10/chargers_shut_out_pats_fans/

Paul

Check it out - the Chargers are limiting ticket sales to residents of southern CA and San Diego only. They will not honor any ticket sales to anyone with a billing/shipping address outside their home area! What losers! That sucks. I saw a lot of Pats fans on TV last week that were absolutely going to San Diego for the game, and now they can't unless they can buy a ticket locally or thru a scalper. Ridiculous. I think they're afraid of us.....

http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2007/01/10/chargers_shut_out_pats_fans/

Heard about that on D&C this morning.

Downright unsportsmanlike, if you ask me. Its not like their playing Philly and us well-mannered dainty fans. ;-)

ChileMass

Speaking of WEEI, I was just out at lunch and heard the excellent Michael Holley comparing the SD-NE game to the AFC championship game from 2 years ago when rookie QB Ben Rothlisberger was all -everything and their running attack was supposedly unstoppable, etc., and the Pats went to Pittsburgh and stomped them. Hmmmmmm - I had forgotten that. Something to think about........

2knees

Sympathy for Shottenheimer...they don't want anyone outside of SoCal to see him slit his wrists when he loses another playoff game.

lol quite true jim. Marty-ball, the surest way to get eliminated from the playoffs every year.

JimG.

Staff member
lol quite true jim. Marty-ball, the surest way to get eliminated from the playoffs every year.

It actually got painful to watch his teams get eliminated from the playoffs every year by John Elway and the Broncos.

ChileMass

It actually got painful to watch his teams get eliminated from the playoffs every year by John Elway and the Broncos.

So Jim G - now that the G-Men and Gang Green are out, who does a NY football fan cheer for? Probably not the Pats, I assume. Go with New Orleans as the sentimental favorite? Or with San Diego and LaDanian? Do the longshot thing and go for Seattle?

bruno

i watched the jets pats game in a jets bar in nyc. i was talkin' so much sh!t my girlfriend kept tellin' me to tone it down! hardeeharhar!!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :-D :uzi: :flame:

i guarantee the pats will win the super bowl. guarantee bros!:flag:

JimG.

Staff member
So Jim G - now that the G-Men and Gang Green are out, who does a NY football fan cheer for? Probably not the Pats, I assume. Go with New Orleans as the sentimental favorite? Or with San Diego and LaDanian? Do the longshot thing and go for Seattle?

Why not the Pats? Because they're from New England?

I don't know about other NY fans, but I like the Pats and I like the way they play the game. And I really like that fact they aren't a bunch of spoiled brats like some teams are full of.

I stay local, I can't root for Philly, so the Pats it is for me.

jack97

Speaking of WEEI, I was just out at lunch and heard the excellent Michael Holley comparing the SD-NE game to the AFC championship game from 2 years ago when rookie QB Ben Rothlisberger was all -everything and their running attack was supposedly unstoppable, etc., and the Pats went to Pittsburgh and stomped them. Hmmmmmm - I had forgotten that. Something to think about........

I was thinking in the same manner. But, two years ago, they have a better group of linebackers; with johnson and mginnnest. I think the key is how the present group will stop LT. Not sure if they have the speed to catch him. IMO that's the key to the game.

ChileMass

Why not the Pats? Because they're from New England?

I don't know about other NY fans, but I like the Pats and I like the way they play the game. And I really like that fact they aren't a bunch of spoiled brats like some teams are full of.

I stay local, I can't root for Philly, so the Pats it is for me.

Glad to hear it. As a Pats fan, I would find it difficult (perhaps not impossible) to cheer for the J-E-T-S, so I assumed it was the same for fans of our divisional foes. At the very least, the Pats and Jets trace their roots back up the Tuna Tree - does that make us related somehow? Let's sing Kumbaya, now...............;)

drjeff

I was thinking in the same manner. But, two years ago, they have a better group of linebackers; with johnson and mginnnest. I think the key is how the present group will stop LT. Not sure if they have the speed to catch him. IMO that's the key to the game.

This years D-line is WAY better though than 2 years ago. The way those front 3 have been playing lately, its really allowed the linebacking core to roam and attack. Don't be suprised if Belicheck also shifts around a bit from the usual 3-4 to a 4-3 to really Jam the box and make Rivers beat them. Plus, you can't forget about the Brady factor, and he's definately getting into the "zone" lately which should really start to scare Diego and the rest of the NFL.

I honestly feel that the winner of the Pats/Chargers game wins the Superbowl.

My picks (and for full disclosure sake I'm a Section 202 Row 1 season ticket holder at Gillete ;) )

Bears/Seahawks - Unfortunately someone has to win this game, hands down the worst game this weekend. In spite of Grossman the Bears win 17-14

Ravens/Colts - The Ravens D is just too tough/physical and disrupts Indies timing patterns, plus their run defense gets exposed again. Peyton spends more time powting than smiling. Ravens take it 21-10

Saints/Eagles - Philly has really shown some guts the last few weeks and is on a roll, and frankly no one expects them to do much. Lots more pressure on the saints and reggie. I see the eagles in a shoot out 35-31

Pats/San Diego - The NFL saves the best game for last. I see a tight low scoring physical 1st half, frustration/panic starts to set in for San Diego in the 2nd half and the pats blow it open 31-17 (inspite of LT having close to 200 all purpose yards and busting atleast 1 40+ yard run) Rivers dose them in with more INT's than LT has TD's

I'll even finish out the predictions:

NFC championship game:

Bears-Eagles : Rex dose them in, Eagles 21-7 with 2 defensive scores

AFC Championship game:

Pats-Ravens: Low scoring bigtime defensive battle. Pats 13-10

Superbowl:

Pats-Eagles: The cream rises to the top, big mismatch! Pats 35-14 - Maroney gets the MVP! And the Pats will charge me an extra $100 for my season tickets next year ;)

FRITOLAYGUY

I see the Pats getting thru it all especially if they can win this week, then its all downhill i believe. Tom Brady with that exception last year in Denver rarely puts his team in a position where they cant win the game, and he rarely makes mistakes in big games. He at worst is this generations Bart Starr, and he was pretty damn good.