• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Night skiing

Smellytele

I "race" one night a week at Pats but it is more for the couple of beers I have after. Sometimes ski (take a few runs) on a Friday night but once again it is for social reasons not really the skiing. I would never go to Pats on a Saturday night. Place is filled with teenagers while most are fine there are a few bad apples that ruin it for all and the place is way too packed.

bvibert

Staff member
I have a nice Petzl headlamp but I don't know if it would be sufficient for the speed at which I ski. I don't think it would be sufficient for mountain biking, either; you'd be surprised how much light you really need to see when doing any activity > 10 mph.

Yes, you'd need a pretty bright headlamp to make any difference. The typical hiking headlamp would do much for you once you started moving.

I've tried MTB with a regular hiking headlamp, and it really isn't any good for anything other than walking the bike out of the woods.

hammer

I "race" one night a week at Pats but it is more for the couple of beers I have after. Sometimes ski (take a few runs) on a Friday night but once again it is for social reasons not really the skiing. I would never go to Pats on a Saturday night. Place is filled with teenagers while most are fine there are a few bad apples that ruin it for all and the place is way too packed.

Did the POP one time and that was enough...

Pats is really good for weekday night skiing IMO. Not too far away and once the school groups are gone you have a lot of the hill to yourself. Wachusett is also pretty decent weeknights as well, not as crowded as one would think.

Cornhead

Preview.jpeg
Until I hit the lottery, it's better than no skiing. I usually ski a couple nights per week. Luckily most of the trails at GP are lit. I've been going into work early and leaving early all Summer. If they let me continue, I should be able to be on the lift by 3:30. I can get 1 1/2 hours daylight skiing in, then decide to stay or go.

I worked second shift for a couple Winters a few years ago. I felt like I was on death row waiting for the warden when I skied before work. I met a lot of nice retired people. I thought I'd get to take advantage of midweek dumps, but I don't remember many.

Hawkshot99

I night ski several times per week and I love it. The places I ski the most have most trails lit and good lighting.

I have skied at night with a headlamp. I found it hurt my vision more than it helped. Once your eyes adjust at night you can see pretty well in the winter with the moon reflecting off the snow.

Breakout12

night skiing sucks

I understand. That looks miserable! :p

Lots of positive responses. I'm glad to see it.

I agree that limited trails would dissuade people, but as others mentioned, there are lots of places that are fully or near-fully open. I just wish they were closer to me.

Mt. Hood Skibowl looks awesome!

BenedictGomez

I would say skiing at night blows, unless you're in the Poconos. Night skiing is the one (and only) thing the Poconos has a big advantage over others on, and does right. You have 100% of the mountain open and there's a great vibe. Other places the feeling of night skiing is kindof gimmicky IMO, and on limited terrain. In the Poconos night skiing is like a party feel.

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
I like night skiing at Mountain Creek most of the hill is open, I can't wait to vet out there this year , I have not skiied MC in like 8 years.

skiNEwhere

I have a confession. I've never been nightskiing. The main reason is that I tend to stay away from the smaller ski resorts, which are often the only ski resorts to offer night skiing

jrmagic

If I had night skiing within 15-20 miles I'd probably be a doulbe pass holder. It would be a way to get onto the hill mid week. Back in college we had a great ski club that tooks us to Kissing Bridge and Holiday Valley 4 nights a week. I went almsot every night and had a blast.

steamboat1

If I had night skiing within 15-20 miles I'd probably be a doulbe pass holder. It would be a way to get onto the hill mid week. Back in college we had a great ski club that tooks us to Kissing Bridge and Holiday Valley 4 nights a week. I went almsot every night and had a blast.
Doesn't Thunder Ridge near you have night skiing?

bobbutts

I used to go out at night in the woods with no headlamp. I'd say it may be better that way, with the headlamp you don't adjust to night vision so you can only see what's illuminated.

miskier1970

I find that at night seeing is not a problem at all because the light conditions stay the same. When you have a partly cloudy day the sun goes in and out. I may be in the minority but I prefer to ski at night.

snoseek

I bought a light for my mtb this summer and used it lots and lots. It shines extremely bright at 1400 lumens and I have full intentions of using it this winter on little night tours.

I remeber some pretty fun nights skiing in heavy snow, free refills all night long

gmcunni

Too far. Its 45ish miles. I took my son paintballing there earlier this year. It was about an hour drive. That's too far for afterwork turns.

LOL, i drive 55 miles each way to sundown. didn't do much night skiing last year but i think i'll be good for 1 night a week this year.