• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Non POV Vid- anyone use Nikon coolpix aw100

Madroch

So-- my Kodak zx3 bit the dust this summer... am in the market for a new camcorder-- thought I might get a cam instead that also shoots decent vid-- not a lot out there that is weatherproof in my budget range... I looked at all the sub $500 cams with an eye toward doing both vid and stills decent-- the Olympus TG-1 got great reviews (for this price range in a weatherproof cam-- anyway) for stills- but the vids not so much-- and it was still a little pricey at 399. Moreover- it had no high frame rate recording for action-- like skiing. Most of the other weatherproof cams in this range wore sorely lacking in one or other other- and none really excelled at either-- with video really lagging in most. The Nikon AW100 appears to take decent stills (not print quality- but not bad for a sub $400 point and shoot weatherproof) and decent vid (again, within same parameters)- with the ability to record at much higher frame rates (albet at a reduced def).

So-- long and short-- anyone have one? Thoughts? Options-- other than the $600+ weather sealed "good" cams?