• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Northern NH mountain this weekend, who's open and what condition?

abc

ok, I'm not a regular of NH mountains. But since this is the long weekend for me (Fri-Sat-Sun), I'd like to see if I make it over that way.

I believe Cannon and Wildcat are still open. But how much terrain are open (and worth the drive)? Anyone want to give a guess on what condition to expect?

Any other mountain still open (and have terrain worth visiting)?

Last edited:

JDMRoma

There are a few of us skiing Cannon tomorrow....not sure whats left but I think Most of the groomed trails are open......tree's are out of play....from what I can guess.

Quietman

Cannon, Loon & Wildcat are open on Friday, add Bretton Woods for Sat. Cannon is $29 per day, Loon is $59, Wildcat is $40(not sure about weekend) and BW will be $29 for Sat&Sun, and $17.76 on Mon.

dlague

Cannon, Loon & Wildcat are open on Friday, add Bretton Woods for Sat. Cannon is $29 per day, Loon is $59, Wildcat is $40(not sure about weekend) and BW will be $29 for Sat&Sun, and $17.76 on Mon.

This says it all in terms of what is open! Not sure if their snow reports will help, hide or hinder!

abc

What about terrain? Who's got more and/or varied terrain open?

I've never been to Loon. But they're not dropping their prices as Cannon and BW does. Is what's left open worth the extra cost?

dlague

Well I just went to Bretton Woods' (closed today so not report), Loon's and Cannon's sites and Cannon surpasses in several categories, trail count (highest), advanced terrain available (more difficult trails), terrain variety (most overall trail selection) and finally costs (really $29 is awesome).

Loon is ridiculous with their rate of $59 for the trails they have open, considering they are closing this weekend. If they would have stayed competitive to Cannon and BW they probably would have stole skiers and boarders alike from those two and their F & B gains would have been higher. So Cannon is by far the best bet. Oh wait, I plan on being there Saturday - no Loon is the best bet!

Personally, I would not pay $59 to ski any where even during mid winter and 100% open with perfect conditions!

abc

Yeah, I thought the price at Loon was a bit out of line. But since I've never been there I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something I don't know about.

Wildcat is still $55 on weekends also. Though they have a Sunday afternoon special that drops the price to $30. Could be a good play to wait for the surface to soften up?

Savemeasammy

Even Stowe is $49 (with an evo card). C'mon Loon.... Get real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Well I just went to Bretton Woods' (closed today so not report), Loon's and Cannon's sites and Cannon surpasses in several categories, trail count (highest), advanced terrain available (more difficult trails), terrain variety (most overall trail selection) and finally costs (really $29 is awesome).

Loon is ridiculous with their rate of $59 for the trails they have open, considering they are closing this weekend. If they would have stayed competitive to Cannon and BW they probably would have stole skiers and boarders alike from those two and their F & B gains would have been higher. So Cannon is by far the best bet. Oh wait, I plan on being there Saturday - no Loon is the best bet!

Personally, I would not pay $59 to ski any where even during mid winter and 100% open with perfect conditions!

What is the highest justifiable ticket price?

Exactly what someone is willing to pay.

If people didn't show up, they wouldn't charge as much. But they do, so they do, if you catch my drift.

abc

What is the highest justifiable ticket price?
Justified by whom (or by how many)?

Clearly, some are paying the $59. But how many others are going to BW or Cannon instead of Loon?

Though to be honest, I'm not sure BW and Cannon are "making up" for their discount with F&B sale. Just use myself as an example, I do typically buy food at the mountain in a normal ski day. But spring skiing isn't always a "normal ski day". Often, there's only a few hours of good skiing during the freeze/thaw cycle. So I'm skiing through that window and not breaking for lunch...

On the plus side, if I quit the day early due to snow getting slushy, I tend to lounge around in the sun and have a couple. And if I got company, a couple more...

dlague

Even Stowe is $49 (with an evo card). C'mon Loon.... Get real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are the trail counts and cost for others in New England - of course that might change for the Weekend (at least trail count)!

Boyne as well as Peak do not give anything away. I have never skied Loon and rarely ski SR or SL (occasional deals possible but Loon never included). Funny, even SR is at $39. Odd though - SR reporting 21 trails open for today while SL is reporting 134 trails (holy shit), they are not that far apart yet trail count totally different. Then again from pictures coverage still looks good at SR but they are winding down operations so that could be why!

Wow 134 for Sugarloaf at $59! best price/trail ration for sure

Funny - of the Vermont mountains Stowe is the cheapest at $49 with 55 trails, Sugarbush is next at $55 with 24 trails, Killington $69 with 33 trails and Jay Peak is $69 with 69 trails. Jay Peak still charging full fare! We will be at Jay Peak on Sunday but will use The Ride and Ski Card for 2 fers so $34.50 each.

Edd

Odd though - SR reporting 21 trails open for today while SL is reporting 134 trails (holy shit), they are not that far apart yet trail count totally different. Then again from pictures coverage still looks good at SR but they are winding down operations so that could be why!

That is why. SL is more vertically stacked terrain-wise, requiring fewer lifts. This is SOP at the River, coverage notwithstanding.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

ScottySkis

ABC i hear wildcat is probabky like Platty. i was their once when i was a child.Cannon i did once in great weather with Cornhead and was fun tikes and niw one if my favorite hills in the nirtheast and the viewws. omg wildcat ir cannon are the onky two hills to consider for big verticeal steep traipls. and i onky eeen to Cannon once but been to Sugarloaf this seasine and i kike 5 top canon is i think so the are teh onky two placesc i wold go. Enjoy your trip i cant wait tlfor oictures .

sull1102

Went to Cannon yesterday and it was one of the top days of the season, the summit is still in mid winter form after that 5 inches came down Tuesday(they closed the Cannonball Quad on Wed. so it was untouched for yesterday). I'm thinking about going back up on Sunday for closing day. I would not go to Loon for twice the price, it is nowhere near worth it.

yeggous

I convinced my family to have Easter Saturday so I can ski Sunday. I'm on the fence between Killington and Stowe. I usually don't go to Vermont due to prices and crowds, unless I'm going to Burke or Jay. I figure this could be a nice change of pace.

abc

So I somehow managed to miss the entire crew of AZ'ers at Cannon today :( Though part of the problem was I was having so much fun skiing I didn't check my phone for meet-up cue...

I'm always leery of official "trail count". I'm more of a "percentage open" kind of person. And noticing Cannon is quite a good "percentage" open, I felt I could safely ignore the measly trail count.;) And I was not disappointed. Skiing from 10:30 to 3:30 without break, I still felt I haven't "ski out" the mountain! Somehow, Cannon ski quite large.

All in all, I'm quite impressed with my first visit at Cannon. I really like this mountain. I especially like the narrow trails on the upper mountain that twist, turn and bank. I felt like a kid in an amusement park! (that's how it SHOULD be when skiing, after all) I kept lapping those trails till I notice I was about the only one on the chair apart from ski patrollers...:oops:

By the end of the day, the wind came up quite a bit more and I definitely felt I was under-dressed for the condition. I'm undecided if I'll go back tomorrow. The wind is expect to pick up, which could make the ride up brutal. On the other hand, I started out late so I didn't have enough time on the lower part of the mountain (e.g. the "front 5") which looked to be fun, and am sorely tempted to go back and play on those...

Quietman

abc,

Sorry we didn't connect! Cannon did indeed ski very nicely today, the upper 1/2-1/3 skied more like Feb. than the end of April. And Upper Cannon and Upper Ravine are among my favorite trails in the east, especially on days like today when I could bomb them at full speed. Puck it and JDMRoma gave me a great tour of the mountain as it had been 8+ years since my last visit, and we did hit all of the front 5, with the addition of Jasper's and Banshee. Best $29 I've spent in a long time! I will post some pics on the Cannon 4-18 thread a little later. We also tried but failed to connect with St. Bear, no Verizon signal in the lodge didn't help.

Bumpsis

I just came back from Cannon. I did not reach out to the AZ crew since I was there with my wife and my two boys and really wanted to just ski as a unit. The mountain was great. When we got too hot skiing off the Zoomer (hard work in the corn and moguls), we took a chilling ride to the top. I was dressed for spring skiing so the wind on the upper part of the Peabody and Cannonball Quad cooled me off in a hurry.

As already mentioned, the upper part of the mountain skied more like mid winter, but as soon as yoy drepped below the Cannonball base, it was spring conditions. The coverage is still really good, although the rains from earlier part of this week did took a bite from number of trails.
Overall, this was a great day to have with my crew and I feel properly tired. I am contemplating a trip to Tucks next week, but more than likely today was it for me this season.