• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nvtbc 1-30-10

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Some debate as to where to head today, we ended up going back to a recently discovered zone near Stowe. It was cold. 10 below when the three of us loaded up in the car in Hyde Park. Driving over we were drooling over the cream drifts evident along the road side hugging every boulder. When we got to skinning we realized everything was heavily wind affected and ski penetration on the skin was about 2 inches. Up a logging road, crossed a brook that had barely refrozen since Tuesday, and into the zone. This particular aspect is completely sheltered from the 40mph winds that buffeted the area in the last few days....as we got into the lee of the land mass the snow softened. As we got up above 2500ft., it deepened, and as we closed in on the skiiable terrain we had 10-20 soft snow. The other folks were calling it 14, but I didn't think cover was even enough to warrent a single snow depth number. On our first 2 runs, we didn't really put it together too well. We got sucked into a steep creekbed that was not ready to ski yet and it was hard to get out. We did find a few short interesting lines down thru the steeps, but the runs were disjointed. On the third and fourth runs we put it together much better. It was sunny and cold. The snow was slow due to temps so some shuffling was needed to cross some of the shelves in between the steeps. It was a beautiful day. All in all, we decided that the rain, then snow pretty much equalled out on snow depths from Mansfield on North. But it is much nice to have a wind packed base down instead of one formed by a thaw and refreeze. In general, natural woods are in, but still a little sketchy. Looking forward to moderating temps and some days exploring this area further. My Cam batteries died early today, not much worthwhile footage, but a real nice day out up north, 4 laps and one exploratory travers at the end....we have recovered from the thaw, at least north of Rt. 2, Dog fish head 60 minutes and my feet close to the wood stove for the rest of the night.

Last edited:

TheBEast

Sounds like a nice tour! Headed up to Stowe tomorrow night.....hopefully we can find some leftovers around the resort.....

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
From skiiing both s and j in the last two days and driving around
in the area n of Stowe. it became clear there is a lot of snow, it's in the woods
but you have to deal with a lot of windslab. The wind was really strong all
day and night thurs and friday.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
If you study the topos and find a sheltered aspect you will find no wind slab....variable snow depth, but not wind pack. I imagine trimmed woods would be more wind affected.

Last edited:

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Here's some vidyo of our first couple runs. The good skiing came in short shots while we were trying to figure out the terrain and stay out of the creek bed....see if you can spot the snowshoe hare we flushed up. Also flushed several grouse while skiing. The game seemed to be holding their cover a little longer then ussual, probably due to the cold temps and them ot wanting to pop out of the snow pack unless absolutely necessary....you can see the snow was soft and slow....first couple runs wee a little funky...but now, after about 8 laps in this area, we feel like we have it somewhat dialed for more continuous skiing...

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Certaily not tight woods, although I edited out alot of the softwood poking we did at the upper elevations....but not as open as the other areas we ussually ski...which we figured was a good thing because it probably protected the snow from getting too wind hammered.

bigbog

My wacked mind rates that as "10" material JD..nothing less. If your batteries can hack it...keep the light-bushwacking IN!...if for no other reason...for my enjoyment...LOL. It's 50% of my territory up here;-). What helmet camera? or mount you using...?

JD

Website
hotmail.com
My wacked mind rates that as "10" material JD..nothing less. If your batteries can hack it...keep the light-bushwacking IN!...if for no other reason...for my enjoyment...LOL. It's 50% of my territory up here;-). What helmet camera? or mount you using...?

Well, I took my olypus stylus and some closed cell foam, made a bracket out of the foam wrapped in duct tape, and attach that to my forehead with more duct tape, with some integrated broccoli rubber bands (the purple ones) that hold the camera on....made it out of refuse and duct tape basically. Works pretty good Eh? I feel like stopping to film or shoot really affects the enjoyment of the descent for the camera man, so it's nice to just have it on while I ski and mine out the descent footage....works about 1,000,000 times better then I thought it would. I do love that camera.