• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ny 12/31-1/1

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
We just found out that we're heading up to the Catskills for New Years. Got a really nice deal at the Bavarian Manor in Purling.

I realize that discounted lift tickets aren't going to be all that great. Potter Bros looks like my best option.

I am thinking about going to Hunter on Friday, maybe Bell on Saturday. Does that seem like my best crowd-avoiding option?

dmc

I am thinking about going to Hunter on Friday, maybe Bell on Saturday. Does that seem like my best crowd-avoiding option?

If your not into partying - either area will be empty on Saturday(1.1.11).

I bet Friday(NYE) early will have some people... But it will taper off as the crowd drifts into the lodge to get hammered... Me included.. Sitting in with a friends band playing the lodge at Hunter that night...

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
If your not into partying - either area will be empty on Saturday(1.1.11).

I bet Friday(NYE) early will have some people... But it will taper off as the crowd drifts into the lodge to get hammered... Me included.. Sitting in with a friends band playing the lodge at Hunter that night...

Thanks D.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
We just found out that we're heading up to the Catskills for New Years. Got a really nice deal at the Bavarian Manor in Purling.

I realize that discounted lift tickets aren't going to be all that great. Potter Bros looks like my best option.

Umm...Catskills and crowd avoidance = Plattekill! Should be skiing great now with the new snow.... I was there on Friday. May go back this Friday.

dmc

Umm...Catskills and crowd avoidance = Plattekill! Should be skiing great now with the new snow.... I was there on Friday. May go back this Friday.

If the woods is boney I find the place boring.. personally..

keyser soze

How were the conditions today? I'll be going tomorrow and one day over the weekend. Agreed that NYD is the weekedn day to go as most will be nursing hangovers, but a buddy may only be able to make Sunday so I may go then. Looks like it may warm up a bit.

dmc

Hunter is in good shape but any where the wind hit directly is scoured. Makes for some good drifts...

A warmup wouldn't hurt..

keyser soze

Made it up there today although I was delayed 1/2 hour because my car got stuck in a parking lot when I stopped to get a quick breakfast:( The mountain was in pretty good shape until around 2:00 when the wind had taken its' toll and there were quite a few areas which were scratchy.
West was open and I hit Claires and Anna Purna several times and there were minimal lines there from 11-1. Most every other trail had good cover for most of the day, except Racres Edge which was slick as usual. The singles line moves quickly even though at times it extended 30' past the end of the ropes.
Will grooming be able to loosen up some of the hardpack, or will they have to blow snow again? I know it is supposed to warm up again.