• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NY Private Catskills resorts and Towns and Countys not happy with Belleayre expansion

ScottySkis

http://www.saminfo.com/news/plattekill-responds-belleayre-expansion http://www.saminfo.com/news/neighboring-county-opposes-belleayre-expansion

So the owner of Platty is saying in a letter that is not fair that Bell can be and has been run at a loss and how tough it his for him to invest and he does not have tax payers nor does he want tax payers as back up like Bell has. Also other places near by do not want unfair competion that expansion that is paid for by NY state would do, I agree and even think that with all this happening NY state better let other hills expand as they want to say the least.

Mapnut

That's a superbly written and reasoned letter by Laszlo. I shed no tears for Hunter or Windham, but Plattekill is at a big disadvantage because they're further than Belleayre. I like Belleayre but given the shape of the mountain, I don't see much potential for improving the skiing by adding lifts or trails. I definitely don't see them doubling their skier visits, except perhaps due to the accompanying resort development.

ScottySkis

That's a superbly written and reasoned letter by Laszlo. I shed no tears for Hunter or Windham, but Plattekill is at a big disadvantage because they're further than Belleayre. I like Belleayre but given the shape of the mountain, I don't see much potential for improving the skiing by adding lifts or trails. I definitely don't see them doubling their skier visits, except perhaps due to the accompanying resort development.

Yes but not fair to any of their competitors.

BenedictGomez

This is such ******* *******! Seriously ANGRY reading this.

As usual, the money is being taken from people's paychecks to spend irresponsibly on a government project that is completely flawed from a financial perspective from day one. You dont have to be a numbers wizard to realize the NYS figures on what would become of Bellayers skier visits it complete horse**** and artificially manipulated in an attempt to justify this crazy spending.

And about that spending. When this goes through, be sure to keep a sharp eye out for who gets the contracts and what Unions are involved - that way you can trace that back to which politicians in New York State are getting the campaign contributions (and God only knows what else). You can fill an encyclopedia with the names of private businesses put out of business due to unfair government competition, and sadly it looks like one of my favorite ski resorts will be next.

ScottySkis

This is such ******* *******! Seriously ANGRY reading this.

As usual, the money is being taken from people's paychecks to spend irresponsibly on a government project that is completely flawed from a financial perspective from day one. You dont have to be a numbers wizard to realize the NYS figures on what would become of Bellayers skier visits it complete horse**** and artificially manipulated in an attempt to justify this crazy spending.

And about that spending. When this goes through, be sure to keep a sharp eye out for who gets the contracts and what Unions are involved - that way you can trace that back to which politicians in New York State are getting the campaign contributions (and God only knows what else). You can fill an encyclopedia with the names of private businesses put out of business due to unfair government competition, and sadly it looks like one of my favorite ski resorts will be next.
NY tax payers spending 74 million dollars on Bell improvements without votes seems like a big risk, and could you imagine any other Mountains taking that chance. It seems very very unfair to all other private competition. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::(:(:(:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::confused::confused::confused:

AdironRider

NY tax payers spending 74 million dollars on Bell improvements without votes seems like a big risk, and could you imagine any other Mountains taking that chance. It seems very very unfair to all other private competition. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::(:(:(:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::confused::confused::confused:

While I completely agree this is a waste of taxpayer dollars based on financial merit, I have little sympathy for a guy whos loaded enough to own a ski area, who knowingly bought it with govt funded ski areas in his direct competitive set, bitching about said govt ski area getting govt funds. Lets be real, this is a play to get a grant or subsidized loan, not a don't spend anything argument.

x10003q

You need a little perspective about voter involvement in NYS. 93% of all borrowing in NYS is done by 1169 public authorities without voter approval. Here is a quote from the NYS Comptrollers Office:

"Public authorities make up an increasingly large and influential sphere of government in New York State. These entities, 324 of which have been created by the State, 837 by its local governments, and eight by interstate or international acts, employ more than 150,000 people, with recent payrolls totaling nearly $10 billion a year. Collectively, public authorities spend more than $50 billion annually, and have nearly a quarter of a trillion dollars in debt outstanding.

New York State now relies on public authorities to undertake most borrowing on its behalf, circumventing a Constitutional provision that restricts the issuance of debt without voter approval. In response to fiscal pressures, most recently during and after the last recession, the State has used public authorities as a backdoor source of revenue.".........https://www.osc.state.ny.us/reports/pubauth/public_authorities_btn_2013.pdf :evil:..............................
I realize this is a ski forum, but if you are worried about your tax dollars, there are way bigger problems in NYS than Belleayre. If Belleayre had received constant upgrades over the last 30 years there would be no need to ask for $74 million (which will never be delivered). There are many complaints but no offers of a solution for Belle. Should NYS never improve its valuable asset so it never makes the monetary return it could make? Ski areas are always upgrading. NYS should have that same ability. Belle has been operating via NYS constitutional mandate since 1951 as a way to create jobs and provide skiing for the region. It cannot be sold under current law. ..........................................Rather than whine about "my tax dollars" how about a realistic solution?

ScottySkis

Belleayre-Development-Plan.jpg

steamboat1

How are they going to DOUBLE Belleayre's skier visits? Please...someone tell me where are these extra 160,000 skier days going to come from?
From the inner cities. They'll put them up at the new hotel to!
All funded with tax payer dollars.
This is New York we're talking about after all.