• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo 11/25..Killington 11/26..

Hey All,

I'm back from Central Vermont. Friday night I had my 10 year high school reunion and then I went to an afterparty and I wasn't back until the wee hours of the morning. I finally got my lazy hungover ass on the road around 10:00AM Saturday morning enroute to Rutland aka Rutvegas VT. The drive was smoother and uneventful and I made it to Rutland around 3:00PM. There was a dusting of snow on the ground in town but all the trees were covered above about 1500 feet. I took a nap and had some takeout and Magic Hat and passed out Hella early.

Saturday morning, I woke up real early and watched Vegas Vacation and left for Okemo around 7:10AM..after a quick stop at Mickey D's..I was enroute to Ludlow armed with three cans of food. I pulled into Okemo at 7:55AM and there were already about a hundred cars in the lot. I traded my cans of food for a $25 lift ticket(they were charging $64) that day and headed up the lower quad to the Northstar express. Temperatures were in the 20s and sunny and it was only windy near the top. My first run was down Jolly Green Giant which is a fun Blue trail with lots of dips and flat sections. The snow was edgeable hardpack..all the cord was gone by 8:15AM Lower Mountain road was death cookies. My Scratch BC Sprayers were good in them and most of the skiers were having a hell of a tough time and some were just standing sideways bewildered. Then back up the Northstar quad for a run down Upper and Lower world cup..That's a really fast run and I had fun passing about 50 people lol..Then near the bottom there was this yahoo going almost as fast as me and steering with his tails. I rode the lift with him and he was on 200 length straight skis...yikes..Then I took Timberline which was fun and hardpacked..then Saphire which is the park run over to the Solitude lift. s on Heavens Gate to Screamin demon and Coleman brook to Screamin demon. Both were pretty slick but there were lots of whales to play on and that side of the mountain was dead. Then I worked my way over to the glades peak lift via Defiance. Defiance was alot of fun and one of the rollers had a nice lip for mad steezy air. I then skied Riprock over to Punchline to the SouthFace quad..This had some recent snowmaking and there were some small moguls. I then tppl Rimrock to lower World cup and the Northstar lift up for an early lunch in the summit lodge. While the mountain was pretty dead..nearly every table was taken in the lodge at 11:00AM. Then I skied back over to the Solitude area for a few more laps and ended with a couple laps on Definance to lower world cup and one more Jolly Green Giant. In total I skied 20 runs for 27,550 vertical feet with the majority of my lift rides spent on Northstar because it boots you up about 1700 vert in about 7 minutes.

I left at 12:30PM and stopped in Kilarnys which is an Irish Pub for a few pints and they had free nachos. I would have gotten bangers and mash if I hadn't had lunch an hour and a half before. Then I drove back to RutVegas and took a long nap. After which I drove into town and had Japanese food/Sushi at Tokyo House. Then I just read and watched TV. I would have hit the Killington Access road but I know it would be dead on a Sunday night.

This morning I woke up real early and it was misty with a little skiff of wet snow on my car. I stopped by the local bagel shop and chilled in the room watching Saved by the Bell. I left for Killington at 8:30AM and arrived at the mountain at 8:50AM. I parked right by the gondola and there were about 75 people in line for the 9:00AM opening. I bought my ticket for 60 dollars and headed up the K1 gondola. I first skied a combo of Northway and Rime and the grooming was fantastic. Side to side..and no divits or anything..soft packed powder..I was surprised that Killington offered better grooming than Okemo. I then went up the K1 again and skied East Fall. East Fall was ungroomed and there were some cool funky bumps..a fun run for me to concentrate staying in the fall line and just as my quads started to burn..a long runout back to the K1. Then up the K1 again and I skied over to Snoden and went up to Poma which is a joy to ride. I'm a big poma lift fan and there aren't many around. I skied Bunny Buster..the right was hardpack and slushier skied off spring snow and the left was gates for the Killington Mountain School racers. Then I skied Chute which had seen alot less traffic and there was still some fresh cord. I then went back to the K1 and hit East Fall again. Then back up the K1 and Rime to the North Ridge Double. The park was on Reason but I didn't check it out due to all the fog. A section of upper Powerline was open and it was fun but very scraped off..then back to Northway and East fall to the base. Then up K1 and I skied Downdraft which was pretty gnarly..Long sections of hardpack and then all of a sudden..a big mogul..pretty technical shizzle but I managed to stay on my skis. Then over to Snowdon and I went down the Highline race trail which had the most challenging conditions of the day. Lots of unconsolidated manmade snow that you could punch through with your pole. I managed to get down it semi-gracefully doing a series of hop turns..others were struggling hardcore like it was the Hobacks..once down that was enough for me. Then I ended the day with a long fast cruiser off the K1 lift. The Snowdon quad was also running but I didn't ride it and the Superstar lift was closed. In total I skied 15 runs for 17,150 vertical feet and quit around Noon.

In the parking lot I had a Blackberry Wheat long trail and saw a guy I rode the lift with earlier and gave him a beer as well. He suggested I check out Pizza Jerks for lunch so that's where I went. What was funniest was that the clock in there is always on 4:20..lol..Then I drove back to PA. It was a long slow drive in the rain with lots of late rush hour traffic in NJ so it took over 6 hours. All in all the conditions and terrain available was excellent for November and crowds were much lighter than I expected on Sunday at Okemo.

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
Cripes. How about a line break from time to time... :blink: I got to "hella early" and then gave up...

Haha..the people on PASR always give me crap for such long paragraphs..lol..it doesn't bother me when I read reports but I'll keep you guys in mind..lol

Greg

Staff member
Haha..the people on PASR always give me crap for such long paragraphs..lol..it doesn't bother me when I read reports but I'll keep you guys in mind..lol

Much better. I made it all the way to the part about the free nachos this time...

;)

skiadikt

i made it to the part about sushi at tokyo house. ;-)

tokyo house is one of our regular haunts. pretty good sushi for the middle of vermont. little harry's across the street is also one of our faves. three tomatos around the corner serves up some pretty good italian. sorry about the rutland culinary hijack. :)

kudos for getting it done at k, friends in my house looked out the window and went back to bed.

Mildcat

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't even planning on hitting Okemo until you posted about the $25 lift tickets the other day. It was the first time in about ten years I've been to Okemo. Had an awesome day. Crowds weren't bad at all and it felt like spring skiing.

I had a hella mad steezy day.

Did I say that correctly?

i made it to the part about sushi at tokyo house. ;-)

tokyo house is one of our regular haunts. pretty good sushi for the middle of vermont. little harry's across the street is also one of our faves. three tomatos around the corner serves up some pretty good italian. sorry about the rutland culinary hijack. :)

kudos for getting it done at k, friends in my house looked out the window and went back to bed.

Hahaha...The day I give up a day of skiing due to rain and fog would be a very sad day, Last season I skied in the rain at least 10 days and at least at Killington there's a gangola..

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't even planning on hitting Okemo until you posted about the $25 lift tickets the other day. It was the first time in about ten years I've been to Okemo. Had an awesome day. Crowds weren't bad at all and it felt like spring skiing.

I had a hella mad steezy day.

Did I say that correctly?

You said it correctly..it didn't feel like a spring day to me though...the snow was pretty darn hardpacked..still fun times..Okemo does their canned food day the Sunday after Thanksgiving every year. Plenty of people I rode the lift with shelled out the full $64:flame::flame:

reefer

Nice report Steeze. I got to figure out who you are because we have now skied on the same hill, same day, twice, and it's only November. I didn't realize so many AZ's would be there. That was my seventh year in a row Thanksgiving Sunday at Okemo! Crowds have never been an issue. I better knock on wood though, I did say that about Mt. Snow on Thanksgiving Saturdays before this years madhouse.......................