• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

old guys setting PRs for ski days

jimk

Saw a recent post by @Kingslug20 that he may set a PR this year and reach 100 ski days. I only ski about 50 or 60 days, but also hit a PR last year of 61 as an older guy. I get the sense that this site has a lot of hardcore older skiers. I'm curious about you older guys who ski north of 50 days per winter. What's your secret? How do you get fit, manage aches and pains during the season, and successfully get through a season with many ski days?

Personally, I try to stay active in the off-season, although sometimes health issues slow me down. I ski a lot of partial days and usually only about 3 or 4 days per week. I ski some gnarly stuff, but also enjoy groomers. I'm fairly cautious on the hill and try to keep my head on a swivel so as to not get taken out by faster or out of control skiers/boarders. Go to bed early. Use the hot tub, etc. Wife feeds me good:p

KustyTheKlown

i truly hope that in 20+ years i am still logging 50 day seasons. i think the excessive driving will eventually subside, and I'll need to move north (or west :devilish:) or own a ski property to sustain the numbers i like.

drjeff

I'm 51 and right now at 52 days this season. Looking ahead at the next few weeks and what my schedule is, I should end up around 65 days or so this season.

It's just a mix of getting out there with the schedule that I have (I ski every day my schedule lets me since I don't really have an easy way to call an audible the day before if the weather looks great), having a family (and ski friends) who are like minded, having relatively easy access to a ski area that consistently gives me a 5+ month ski season, and then also keeping fit enough, and smart enough while on the slopes to have the physical ability to get out there as well as minimize the risk of injuries. Lastly, it's also about having the proper assortment of gear to wear to both make the most of whatever snow conditions are on the hill on any given day and stay comfortable and dry while out there and also listening to my body and getting that sometimes it is better to quit say 1 run sooner rather than push for 1 more run if I am feeling tired or the snow/light conditions are getty a bit sketchy

I also have a few benchmark goals that I have each season that help keep me going

1) 40 days minimum
2) 50 days as my more desired goal
3) 52 days (an average of skiing 1 day a week over the 52 weeks a year
4) 60 days - what I really want to, but often need some scheduling and weather help to pull off

Hawk

You have to be retired, a trustafarian, work in the ski industry or work very little to get to 100. I don't know if I am considered an older guy at 57 but I ski on average about 55 days a year without fail. That includes most weekends from November to May, Christmas week, a vacation week, some PTO fridays and some powder days. I did 110 once just after college when I was unemployed. For the last 35 years I have had a full time job working 50+ hours a week in Boston.

slatham

50+ is tough to hit, much less 100, while working in the NYC area. I did get to over 50 in 20/21 but that was due to WFH in VT condo. This year, with going back to office 2-3 days a week, a desire to miss the really poor days (of which there were many) and with family obligations (3 daughters), I've hit 44 so far. Unfortunately condo now under construction so highly unlikely I can get to 50.

Staying in reasonable shape year-round is key for me. Ironically, I am in my worst overall shape during ski season as I do less exercise. I also surf so I have a strong off-season motivator to stay in shape. The other key, from what I have seen from friends, is not getting injured. I've had a few knee injuries, solved by PT, and I am now doing knee exercises for the rest of my life. But otherwise, so far, so good. I hope I can stay injury free......

When I retire 100 days will be in my sights......

Hawk

So to answer the quesiton about how I do it phisically, I ride bikes all year round. I MTB in the boston area 5 days a week on average when it is not ski season and 3 days a week when there is minimal snow on the ground. over the last few years we have rode almost straight through at places in the north shore and the Fells in Winchster. Being close to the ocean makes a huge difference on snow cover. I also do XC skiing at night on the MTB trails around the area when the conditions are right. My wife and I also road bike about 2000 miles a year for prep to do the PMC. Losts of those miles are in the champlain valley as it is one of the best places to ride.

drjeff

So to answer the quesiton about how I do it phisically, I ride bikes all year round. I MTB in the boston area 5 days a week on average when it is not ski season and 3 days a week when there is minimal snow on the ground. over the last few years we have rode almost straight through at places in the north shore and the Fells in Winchster. Being close to the ocean makes a huge difference on snow cover. I also do XC skiing at night on the MTB trails around the area when the conditions are right. My wife and I also road bike about 2000 miles a year for prep to do the PMC. Losts of those miles are in the champlain valley as it is one of the best places to ride.
I ride my Peloton spin bike most every day of the year that I am not skiing, as well as some days (or more like nights when I have Highschool ski race coaching duties) when I ski as well.

Also, during golf season, I try and walk more rounds than ride in a cart. I make a serious effort to get some form of physical activity, even if I only have time for a quick 10 minute walk that day, every day

Edd

Staying in reasonable shape year-round is key for me. Ironically, I am in my worst overall shape during ski season as I do less exercise. I also surf so I have a strong off-season motivator to stay in shape. The other key, from what I have seen from friends, is not getting injured. I've had a few knee injuries, solved by PT, and I am now doing knee exercises for the rest of my life. But otherwise, so far, so good. I hope I can stay injury free......
I also tend to get in worse shape throughout the ski season. It's partly the ski lifestyle (lots of eating out and drinking) and I don't go hard unless conditions are good, which is not often. Skied 5 in a row a few weeks ago and the three days in the middle were stellar conditions, bumps all day. By day 5 I really shouldn't have been skiing as I was a physical wreck.

The ski days in the winter tend to replace workouts. My work days are 13-14 hours from the time I leave home until I return so no exercise on work days. Once skiing is done, it's Peloton 3-4 days a week with weights and yoga mixed in.

KustyTheKlown

I also tend to get in worse shape throughout the ski season. It's partly the ski lifestyle (lots of eating out and drinking) and I don't go hard unless conditions are good, which is not often. Skied 5 in a row a few weeks ago and the three days in the middle were stellar conditions, bumps all day. By day 5 I really shouldn't have been skiing as I was a physical wreck.

The ski days in the winter tend to replace workouts. My work days are 13-14 hours from the time I leave home until I return so no exercise on work days. Once skiing is done, it's Peloton 3-4 days a week with weights and yoga mixed in.

i used to get fat during ski season. i put a stop to that in may 2022 and now am in the gym every single day unless i am skiing. i am a significantly better skier for it. my days are wayyyy longer and i can ski hard for many days in a row with no problems. i highly recommend 30 minutes of cardio and 30+ of strength training every single day.

As far as fitness, never let it get away from you. I do something 6 days a week. My trainer knows my athletic ability and we train to it once per week very hard. Mobility is very important part of the training. I do 100 pushups (10 sets of 10/15) every other day along with 5 - 10 pull ups. MTB, tennis and water skiing off season. Most important is to listen to the body. I am a bell to bell guy on the slopes. I started skinning in covid and that has been a great added exercise I do once or twice a week. My knees are shot, but not ready for the replacement.

As someone mentioned, skiing does not get you in shape. I see a lot of folks going down late in the season because of overuse issues. Have to be careful with that.

Just turned 60, 82 days so far, this will be a record year, but have hit 100 a few times. I also have a 54 month streak going.

Hawk

So which catagory do you fall into to be able to ski that many days. You must be well off and retired I bet.

So which catagory do you fall into to be able to ski that many days. You must be well off and retired I bet.
I made it my goal to build my business and staff so I could work from anywhere. The chairlift is a great place for a quick call or answer several emails. I commuted to NYC for 20 years 5 days a week, now I commute 3 days a week. 1 hour each direction. I mamnever not working, its just a matter of from where.

Hawk

I wish I could to that.
When I am your age, which is not that far away, I am going to quit and move North for the winters. Right now it is not possible to run very complex construction projects and not be on site full time. Very difficult and mentally challenging work. Workng from home or on a chairlift is not an option. Well not unless you want the whole thing to go off the rails. Becasue no mater how good your people are, if not watched it will go to shit. Especially the younger guys coming up. No sence of urgency, no pride in staying late to get it done right.

But I digress. Carry on.

Hawk

I ride my Peloton spin bike most every day of the year that I am not skiing, as well as some days (or more like nights when I have Highschool ski race coaching duties) when I ski as well.

Also, during golf season, I try and walk more rounds than ride in a cart. I make a serious effort to get some form of physical activity, even if I only have time for a quick 10 minute walk that day, every day
Drjeff, I can't work out on a peleton full time. I really hate being inside. The MTB is acutully a really good full body work out. We ride really technical trails that require a lot of out of the seat work and pushing an pulling with the arms. But if that is your go to, then you are doing better than most.

KustyTheKlown

lol i am the opposite. i will run on the treadmill for an hour plus. i am terrified to GO RUNNING OUTSIDE

Hawk

I guess it depends on where you live. If I lived in an urban area I bet I would have arrainged my exercise differently. As it stands now I can ride out of my yard and right into the trail system. Or from work it is on the way home. Another plus is that the MTB community is huge here and I always have 3 or 4 gents to ride with on any day.

KustyTheKlown

im not terrified of like roaming gangs of urban toughs. im more just a beginner runner and i like the machine telling me 'yes you are maintaining a 10 minute mile pace with a consistent 7% incline"

drjeff

Drjeff, I can't work out on a peleton full time. I really hate being inside. The MTB is acutully a really good full body work out. We ride really technical trails that require a lot of out of the seat work and pushing an pulling with the arms. But if that is your go to, then you are doing better than most.
I used to road cycle a bunch with some occasional MTB riding, then within a year I had 2 of my road cycling friends take significant falls with injuries as well as I took a decent tumble on my mtn bike that took my shoulder almost a month to recover from. At that point I knew I wanted to keep pedaling, I also knew that I had to look at ways to reduce the risk of injury, and the Peloton checked off all of those boxes for me! And I have yet to crash on it in over 1700 rides ;):ROFLMAO:

Mt_Wawasee

71yo, I do 50 to 60 days per year. My goal is always 1,000+ runs, 1,000+ miles, 1,000,000 vertical

I do not exercise as I own a house